Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > protect & secure your ffrr
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
EmiratesA380

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aintree Green
protect & secure your ffrr

Well worth a discussion - I have seen a few FFRR at the airport with these on.

QUESTION is are they any good ?

the article reads:

QUOTE:
SINCE 2011, Driving has been highlighting the issue of hi-tech thieves defeating keyless car security systems.

The problem is growing as more car makers fit these systems, which allow the driver to start a car’s engine with the push of a button, and more thieves work out how to crack them.

In London about half of all car thefts are carried out without the use of any original keys, according to the Metropolitan police. Some drivers have taken to locking the car’s diagnostic port, the socket mechanics – and thieves – plug devices into to gain access to the car’s computer. But it’s not enough: criminals will now remove dashboard panels to reveal circuitboards.

The only way to stop them is a mechanical vehicle lock of the sort last seen in widespread use at the height of opportunist car theft and joyriding in the late 1980s and early 1990s. And one of the toughest of the lot is the Disklok. ............

Article from:
http://www.driving.co.uk/news/disklok-steering-wheel-lock-review/

So are they worth having to protect your FFRR - I have a Tracker unit fitted - as many of you also will know thieves steal cars - then park them up for a week at a remote location to see if they get retrieved - so I am thinking a second line of deference might well be worth the effort ?

Post #399800 9th Aug 2016 5:51pm
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

This would be a good tertiary defence (after the factory alarm and Tracker). I looked at these but my wife would have trouble applying and removing, not that it couldn't be applied when sitting overnight or by me. They do get rave reviews and much better than a pedal lock box in my view.

If you buy one, I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Post #399805 9th Aug 2016 5:59pm
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

A lad at work has one and they look strong and easy to work. I had a similar but much older type and it was a fiddly fag to use so ended up in the boot most of the time.

The visual deterrent is immeasurable.

I agree, in the days of high tech car crime it would be a good move.

The way I see it is that high tech crims are less likely to bother with that lock in place, they will just move on to the next target and the low teck hammer and half a tennis ball crims wouldn't touch a fatty anyway. Thumbs Up 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #399814 9th Aug 2016 6:28pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I borrowed one of these to see how it would do. I decided not to bother as it was heavy and clunky and I thought there was a chance of damaging the interior of the car with it. I showed it to my girlfriend for her BMW as there was a lot of news at the time about them being stolen with electronic devices - she was put off by the size/weight/operation too and wouldn't have used it. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #399825 9th Aug 2016 7:17pm
EmiratesA380

Giantlandyman wrote:
This would be a good tertiary defence (after the factory alarm and Tracker). I looked at these but my wife would have trouble applying and removing, not that it couldn't be applied when sitting overnight or by me. They do get rave reviews and much better than a pedal lock box in my view.

If you buy one, I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Hey Giantlandyman

Thanks for coming back to me on this one - appreciated

This is worth knowing, my colleague had a Ferrari - it had a tracker fitted. One night a few years ago he parked it at home - got up in the morning and no car. Apparently the tracker unit was found by the local plod a few hundred yards from his door on the grass. We talked about this and came up with the view that depending on the type of car - there's only so many places to fit the tracker. I am not saying Tracker is useless, but what I am saying is the fact that when you have one fitted, you are not allowed to see where it is - do they fit them in the same places depending on model car - if so surely the thief's know where to look - that would explain how they got his Ferrari away ?

The whole point of this - is has anyone got one - do they fit the FFRR nicely -

I hear you point of it being heavy with your GF - but thank god is made like the FFRR - Solid ???

PS - I Think Tracker is good - but do the thief's know where to look and disarm ??????

anyway thanks for coming back Fella

Best wishes Thumbs Up

Post #399834 9th Aug 2016 7:47pm
EmiratesA380

One last point worth thinking about

In my opinion the FFRR L322 - will be a classic - to me is a nicer shape than the L405

so if you got a good one - try and protect it - why LR ever decided too get rid of the key I will never know - its like my safe they gave me 6 keys - can you imagine a safe with only a electronic key pad - you never know whose been in her.

Oh - and at the airport I see cars left for long period of times - a few cars have this steering lock on - but not many - is their something they know and we dont ?

Post #399837 9th Aug 2016 7:55pm
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

EmiratesA380 wrote:
if so surely the thief's know where to look - that would explain how they got his Ferrari away ?

PS - I Think Tracker is good - but do the thief's know where to look and disarm ??????

I agree with that; there are only so many places a Tracker can be fitted plus when it comes to fitting, it is a set price so they are hardly going to, for example, dismantle the dash and hide it in the depths. Therefor, there are set places they normally go on a FFRR.

I am going to try and find somewhere that stocks those locks and give them a try. I did give the manufacturer a call a while back and they reckoned that if they are given the diameter and depth of the wheel, they should have one to fit although they recommend putting a cover (supplied) over the steering wheel first.

Good luck and whoever buys first can make the report for the other. Thumbs Up

Post #399871 9th Aug 2016 11:20pm
DannyH

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

could always get 3 trackers fitted, that way when they find one and rip it out they'll assume that's it and be on their way haha. Dan

2002 Zambezi Silver

Men And Motors RR Quote - It's like having wheels fitted to your living room!

Post #417981 15th Dec 2016 11:31am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

IMHO this kind of thing is potentially worth it for an airport car park with something as popular/common as a FFRR - it's enough to make the would be thief move along to the next available one.

However, all it ever does is slow them down - if they really want it, then they will have it.

Post #417993 15th Dec 2016 1:22pm
mpirie

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

If steering wheel locks are a visual deterrent and the weight and awkwardness of their use puts people off......why doesn't someone make a plastic one?

If it's made properly and the theft environment is dark, then the thief will not be able to tell the difference.

If he see's it and still gets into the car to steal it, then he would need to be determined enough to face the prospect of taking on a steel one.

BTW....copyrighted idea Whistle Thumbs Up

Mike

Post #418005 15th Dec 2016 2:16pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I know it's significantly more money but if I had a late model one I would go with something like this......

http://www.securemycar.co.uk/Range-rover-s...alarm.html

It runs totally separately from the car's systems and prevents key cloning... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #418012 15th Dec 2016 2:52pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

A nice and cost effective solution from BlackBox Solutions is available which hides the keyless module from the CAN. It can be hidden wherever you want as long as you connect it to the CANBUS wiring so pretty much anywhere in the car.
http://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/product/ac035

Note that JLR changed the keyless module on later vehicles (2015 I think) so now new keys cannot be programmed without having a dongle which is only issued to dealers. Also, once you hit 2 programming events the module has to be changed. Not easy to do at the side of the road. This is worth getting more definitive info on, I only have what I learned when a friend's 2016 D4 had a key stolen and the balls ache we went through getting the old key removed and a new one programmed. Took 3 days and cost over £600.

Post #418016 15th Dec 2016 3:00pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

And a very good price... great find... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #418022 15th Dec 2016 3:13pm
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

We have now gone full circle...physical device to electronic alarm to physical device...

Post #418031 15th Dec 2016 4:38pm
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Back in the late 80s and early 90s cars used to get nicked for fun so a few of my cars I fitted a 'kill switch'.My 2.8 capri I cut into the fuel pump supply and hid the switch under the seat buried into the carpet,you could have the keys and it wasn't going anywhere.I know the Full fat is far more technical but can this simple cut out be done without causing any harm to the electrics ?

Post #418050 15th Dec 2016 8:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>