Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > tow bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tommac22

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
tow bar

Hi all,

looking to purchase a tow bar for our 2003 vogue, can anyone suggest a good source? happy to fit myself. Had a look under the car on either side there are black supports about 350mm long with westfalia written on them- does this indicate a bar was fitted previously and been removed? there is no cross bar just the supports running length ways down each side?

Post #40154 30th Nov 2010 10:36am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

eBay is your best bet - Expect to pay around £50 for the armature that goes behind the bumper. £50-£85 for the electric sockets and £50-£65 for the towing ECU/Module. Then you have to choose which tow-bar you want. These range from £30-150 depending on if you want a standard drop plate or removable one.

The whole kit here went for £325 which is about right:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Range-Rover-Towbar-k...3362934f7a

Dan 

Post #40158 30th Nov 2010 10:54am
sleepezy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I believe the armature's are slightly different from 03/facelift models - sure someone wiser on here can confirm - so do be careful if that is the case - most ebay seller's dont make it obvious...

Post #40168 30th Nov 2010 12:27pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

Yes - the armature is different for pre/post 06MY

VUB000740 is pre 06MY
VUB503960 is 06MY and later

They differ in the exhaust mounting brackets, pre 06MY has horizontal plates back towards the cross bar, 06MY and later has vertical plates near the frontmost mountings.

The lashing eye brackets are made by Westfalia, which is what I believe you've spotted Smile

Post #40170 30th Nov 2010 1:10pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Martin wrote:
Yes - the armature is different for pre/post 06MY

VUB000740 is pre 06MY
VUB503960 is 06MY and later

They differ in the exhaust mounting brackets, pre 06MY has horizontal plates back towards the cross bar, 06MY and later has vertical plates near the frontmost mountings.

The lashing eye brackets are made by Westfalia, which is what I believe you've spotted Smile

If being fitted by a garage, they should be able to overcome the differences by grinding wrong mounts off if they get in the way and creating some new ones in the correct place. 

Post #40176 30th Nov 2010 1:40pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

Yep, they could be adapted if required, but worth being aware that there is a difference as not many sellers do Smile

Post #40177 30th Nov 2010 1:41pm
T24RES

United Kingdom 
Re: tow bar

tommac22 wrote:
Hi all,

looking to purchase a tow bar for our 2003 vogue, can anyone suggest a good source? happy to fit myself. Had a look under the car on either side there are black supports about 350mm long with westfalia written on them- does this indicate a bar was fitted previously and been removed? there is no cross bar just the supports running length ways down each side?

I fitted a new westfalia detachable towbar on saturday. I sourced mine from towequipe, i bought the 13pin factory electrics kit. Everything you need including the detachable bar holder that sleeps in the offside boot cubby hole. Not cheap but the same as oem.

The westfalia pieces you speak of are removed during the armature fitting process http://www.westfalia-automotive.de/fileadm...320051.pdf Ian

Post #40255 30th Nov 2010 9:28pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Give these guys a call, sorted me out Thumbs Up

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PF-Jones-Manchester

Post #40259 30th Nov 2010 10:07pm
tommac22

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

thanks for all the responses will get in touch with the suppliers mentioned and hopefully they can sort a bar out!

Post #40344 1st Dec 2010 12:06pm
ric355

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but can anyone tell me if the "dedicated electrics" sold by PF Jones includes the genuine LR control unit? Or is it an aftermarket unit?

Post #68507 14th Jun 2011 11:47am
ric355

ric355 wrote:
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but can anyone tell me if the "dedicated electrics" sold by PF Jones includes the genuine LR control unit? Or is it an aftermarket unit?

I called them up and the answer is it is not OEM. I've seen a few recommendations for PF Jones on here but in the last two conversations I've had with them they've been next to useless. first time they wouldn't take an order over the phone, preferring me to use the web site, and second time they didn't know what I meant by "OEM"!

Post #68538 14th Jun 2011 3:03pm
Ajay(UK)

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

I found them very helpful on the phone so maybe it depends who you speak too Confused

For me it was a no brainer though - PF Jones for the armature bar and detachable tow bar and Nick (TLO) at Yeovil Landrover for the proper Land Rover electrics oh and a Land Rover branded tow ball cover for a fiver rather than the supplied Westfalia one Whistle

Andy. 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
SWMBO: 22MY Defender 110 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana Stone.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Gone: 2006MY Java Black TD6 Autobiography
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red with Ivory Seats
Gone: 2010MY Stornoway Grey TDV8 Vogue SE with RSE
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2003 Epsom Green 4.4i Vogue, LPG, Mk4 Nav, BMW Bluetooth Phone, Hybrid Tv Tuner,

Post #68568 14th Jun 2011 7:04pm
ric355

Ajay(UK) wrote:
I found them very helpful on the phone so maybe it depends who you speak too Confused

For me it was a no brainer though - PF Jones for the armature bar and detachable tow bar and Nick (TLO) at Yeovil Landrover for the proper Land Rover electrics oh and a Land Rover branded tow ball cover for a fiver rather than the supplied Westfalia one Whistle

Andy.

Agreed, I bought the hardware from PF Jones.

Another question - is the wiring loom different for the 02-05 versus the 06-09 MY's ? I picked up a loom and ECU from ebay for just less than the price of a new ECU but I just noticed it's listed as an MY06-09 loom.

Post #68586 14th Jun 2011 8:49pm
ric355

ric355 wrote:

Agreed, I bought the hardware from PF Jones.

Another question - is the wiring loom different for the 02-05 versus the 06-09 MY's ? I picked up a loom and ECU from ebay for just less than the price of a new ECU but I just noticed it's listed as an MY06-09 loom.

Well, the loom arrived and I fitted all the hardware and electrics today. Glad I have air tools as on my 2003 car the big bolts holding the bumper supports on were a bit tight, since they've obviously never been removed.

Reason for me replying here is in case anyone else has a similar question. The loom fitted and worked fine even though it was listed as being for a later car. I had searched around a bit and could only see one part number for all years anyway so I was in the end fairly confident it would work.

Oddly the Land Rover instructions mentioned a relay to be plugged into the loom, but no relay present and no place to plug it into either. All works fine regardless anyway, with the proper OEM towing module. Loom and module was a bargain at £60!

Post #69186 18th Jun 2011 8:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1