Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Odd remote key failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mr_spock

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Odd remote key failure

I don't get this! I unlocked the boot with the remote this morning, loaded up and shut it. When I came back to the car a few minutes later, the remote wouldn't work. Unlocking with the key got me some beeping, but I put the key in the ignition and started it up fine. No more beeping.

So far I have:
Changed the key battery (although it was quite new anyway)
Resynched the key - It doesn't seem to work every time, but it's acknowledged with a lock/unlock a couple of times
Checked codes - got one "magnet" error and a lock error, which I suspect is the sticky passenger lock

I can still unlock/lock with the key in the lock, and with the dash button a few times - then that stops until I start the engine. Auto locking at speed has failed too.

According to my code reader, the car thinks the key is still in learn mode.

I'll disconnect the battery shortly, but what else could I try? I think I need to replace the passenger lock solenoid anyway as that's getting worse and may be confusing things.

Post #402196 27th Aug 2016 10:13am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Try the battery disconnect first, then worry about it afterwards... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #402201 27th Aug 2016 11:32am
mr_spock

Battery disconnect didn't work. The internal locking button doesn't work unless I clear codes from the locking system. It seems it thinks it's locked all the time, and I have a code of "passenger door central locking short circuit" which comes back once cleared.

I suspect the door solenoid. It's been getting stickier, and although it works 80% of the time I wonder if there's some other failure where it's not reporting its position.

I think I'll order a new one and see if there's wiring damage when I do the job.

Post #402214 27th Aug 2016 12:56pm
mr_spock

An update for anyone who finds this in the future - nothing worse than an unresolved thread!

I replaced the passenger front door latch. It's not a hard job, but worth noting that the cover for the latch cable (which is not present on the new lock) can be a pain to get free. Installing the new latch is easy, although I found it easiest to attach the lock cable with the lock loose so I could move it to where I could see it!

I then cleared the codes, although I don't know if that was required. However, the auto-lock at 15MPH (I think) didn't work, neither did the key, although the new latch was nice and snappy to lock/unlock. It seemed my earlier attempts to sync the key had actually un-synched it!

I redid it and all is good now. Phew! The sync process needs quite a long key press of the lock button to register. The lock/unlock that happens as part of the sync process seems to have helped the BCM figure out the lock status, which was confused before.

Post #404729 14th Sep 2016 10:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1