Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > carry on caravanning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

That's madness. We paid 27 grand for ours in December 2012 and since then it's been out 41 times. A mixture of weekends away and week long holidays.

The way I see it is that 27 grand buys a lot of holidays so I need to get better value from the investment. At roughly 660 quid (plus site fees - we ignore fuel as we would spend that anyway) a holiday so far I'm doing OK and we've another 6 years to go before we consider changing it.

We also lived in it whilst the house extension was being done so I reckon that saved us thousands on a static, or 5 months of hotel costs.

But no more than 30 minutes away? Why bother, just go fro a walk. Rolling Eyes

Post #406135 24th Sep 2016 7:54am
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

We go local a lot of the time because it's convenient and we are with some friends.

This year alone 4 weeks (2 of which abroad) and around 25 weekends covering 10 counties and 3 countries.

For us it's a lifestyle choice. We live 12 miles from Manchester Airport and 16 from Liverpool so we can jump a flight with very little fuss. We have several properties in France, Italy and Scotland so we're not short of places to go to either!

The "just go in a hotel" is an option, but not one we choose. My kids have friends, adventures and memories that have all been built on the time we've spent away in the caravan. They don't want a fortnight in Cape Verde (or wherever the latest trendy place is) because we've asked and offered it to them. They don't dictate our holidays either. When we throw the bikes, canoes and BBQ in our 'holiday' could be anywhere in Europe or 50 miles up the M6. We're lucky that we have the Peak district, Snowdonia, Lake District and more not further than 2 hours away. So it's a choice we wouldn't be without.

We too have a fantastic time and love the the environment. I've seen and heard much worse about hotels, the service, the guests, the food, the location, the rooms.......more than I've ever encountered while away in my 'van ! Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #406144 24th Sep 2016 8:18am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Let be clear, I think as I am getting older I should "migrate" from my tent to a caravan, the good thing is from camping on shared sites I have never seen behaviour like it from the tin-tent brigade - but I have never been to a nudist site and won't be going anytime soon Rolling with laughter

Based on advice from this forum I have been checking out caravans suitable for one person, although my own research keeps leading me back to a van (transit, transported or vito) type thing as the best option but if that were to happen then the RR would have to go (therefore it won't happen). Tent or towing for me I think. Geoff

Post #406155 24th Sep 2016 9:14am
Wogger

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey

If I didn't already have a van, this programme would certainly put me off getting one !!!
Crying or Very sad

Don't think me and the good lady eating, drinking and generally chilling out would make good telly Rolling Eyes

I'm definately getting boring in me old age Laughing

Post #406179 24th Sep 2016 3:23pm
n1cktdv8

It makes 'good television'..... Whistle Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #406183 24th Sep 2016 3:33pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Actually, having just watched it on catch up, aside from the re-enactment crap and that silly woman with the pink fetish, quite a few of those people looked like a good laugh. There's nowt worse than a deathly quiet site where nobody even speaks, let alone has a good time.

TBH I sometimes wish more of our friends were into caravanning. Much better than going away on our own.

As for tents and camping, I tried that at Peterboghorror LRO show. A friend was kind enough to lend me his Oztent and some Z-Beds. All I took were sleeping bags. It was absolutely fine until it came to the wash blocks in the morning. Figuring I'd probably come out dirtier than I went in I had a wash and shave and took my shower when I got home. At least in my van it's my dirt, not some bunch of dirty Censored who think it's OK to make such a mess of the wash block.

Post #406184 24th Sep 2016 3:33pm
Wogger

Sorry for my choice of words when I say 'good telly', but I suppose it has got us watching/talking about it
Laughing

Post #406187 24th Sep 2016 3:44pm
n1cktdv8

One of the key reasons we go away is to spend time with friends, we rarely go alone. Most of our caravan mates are like minded and we have a really good relax, chat and giggle....they bring their mates Jim Beam, Ron Bacardi and Sam buca and they are a real laugh Whistle Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #406188 24th Sep 2016 3:45pm
Charlyfarly

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

mzplcg wrote:
Actually, having just watched it on catch up, aside from the re-enactment crap and that silly woman with the pink fetish, quite a few of those people looked like a good laugh. There's nowt worse than a deathly quiet site where nobody even speaks, let alone has a good time.

TBH I sometimes wish more of our friends were into caravanning. Much better than going away on our own.

As for tents and camping, I tried that at Peterboghorror LRO show. A friend was kind enough to lend me his Oztent and some Z-Beds. All I took were sleeping bags. It was absolutely fine until it came to the wash blocks in the morning. Figuring I'd probably come out dirtier than I went in I had a wash and shave and took my shower when I got home. At least in my van it's my dirt, not some bunch of dirty Censored who think it's OK to make such a mess of the wash block.

The words "wash blocks" are enough to ensure me and the current Mrs. W will avoid this sort of Carry On nonsense. If it ain't broken, fix it till it is.

Post #406189 24th Sep 2016 3:48pm
Wogger

Wash block !!
Ex Forces by any chance ? Laughing

Post #406199 24th Sep 2016 5:49pm
Wogger

Or should that be 'ablutions ' Laughing

Post #406200 24th Sep 2016 5:51pm
Charlyfarly

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Ex forces Very Happy
Sounds like an army boot camp.
Not for me. If it ain't broken, fix it till it is.

Post #406201 24th Sep 2016 5:53pm
IanV8

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Far too much drinking going on.

Ian

Post #406292 25th Sep 2016 10:35am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

we watch 'hooten and the lady' on sky one at the same time this is on so its nice to switch over and see whats happening when the the sky programme is on a break....
its even nicer to turn back to 'hooten and the lady' after four minutes... Laughing ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #406295 25th Sep 2016 10:38am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Some years ago, we were regulars at most Land Rover shows with our 110 and OzTent; Billing, Eastor, Peterborough, etc.

The mess that some people create is shocking. Some of them must have been feral. Cleaners would regularly go in, but their efforts were largely futile.

Then again, one of our last tenting experiences was at a farm site in Hereford, run by a jobsworth farmer who couldn't keep his nose out of things. There was one toilet and shower for the chaps and one for the ladies. Each shower cost 50p and it was a dingy experience at best. Horrible!!

These days, the comfort and convenience of a heated motorhome with our own separate shower and toilet has made 'camping' fun again. And the facilities at many Caravan Club and C&CC sites are so much better than what we used to endure. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #406306 25th Sep 2016 11:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>