Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Lower thermostat modification V8 4.4 M62 2002-2005
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Lower thermostat modification V8 4.4 M62 2002-2005

Been loads talked about this recently but no "one place" to find all the info...

From RAVE

The die-cast coolant pump, driven by an ancillary drive belt, is fitted to the timing case cover. It contains the dual coolant temperature sensor and the electrically heated 'map controlled' thermostat controlled by the engine management system.

The map controlled thermostat incorporates a heating element inside a conventional expanding wax thermostat core which enables the engine management system to 'power' the thermostat open when the engine is under full load and/ or high output conditions. This provides sufficient cooling reserve through anticipation of the thermal load whilst allowing the engine to run at higher operating temperatures under part load conditions.

With the engine running, the coolant pump pulley is driven by an ancillary drive belt. When the engine is cold, the thermostat is closed and coolant is prevented from circulating through the radiator. Coolant is able to circulate through the engine and the passenger compartment heater matrix via a thermostat bypass.

As the temperature increases the thermostat begins to open, allowing cool fluid to be drawn from the radiator bottom hose through the pump and into the cylinder block and hot coolant to flow from the coolant pump housing to the radiator via the radiator top hose, where it is cooled by air passing through the matrix.. When the thermostat opens fully, the full flow of coolant passes through the radiator.

Coolant is also drawn through the liquid cooled transmission fluid cooler and the liquid cooled alternator housing by the coolant pump via the coolant circuit.

So as you can see, not only does the coolant cool the engine, it cools the gearbox as well, when BMW decided to use the then pretty old M62 V8 in the FF they had to meet stricter emissions, the only way they could get the engine to pass part throttle emissions was to make it run much hotter than it was originally designed to do, the thermostat actually starts to open around 105 deg C and is fully open at 113 deg C which is way hotter than the 75-80 deg most engines run at. This creates a massive amount of under bonnet heat and cooks everything under there, reducing the life of rubber and making all the plastic hard and very brittle... not to mention the extra pressure generated in the system, one weak spot is the plug to the electrical thermostat, the seal fails and coolant is forced into the electrical plug and, believe it or not, follows the easiest path which is up inside the wires and into the engine ECU in the electrical box in the engine bay, this corrodes the ECU and causes all sorts of problems. This can still leak with the stat removed so don't plug it back in, just tuck it behind facing downwards so any moisture can drain. This does log a fault with the engine ECU but it is a soft fault and DOES NOT illuminate the check engine light (MIL) It is not a sensor, just a switch so it doesn't effect anything else.

As for cooling the gearbox, well at those temps for any length of time, ie in slow traffic or off roading then the heat soak to the gearbox ups the temp and causes even more issues...

I decided to do something about the temp in mine and came across this mod to allow you to use "normal" thermostats..

I fitted the kit available on eBay from sebastian_workshop_2011 from the Czech Republic, the heading for the listing is

80�C Thermostat kit BMW E39 540i 535i E38 740i 735i X5 M62 - Reduce temperature

This is currently �58.98 delivered to the UK and comes with everything you need...

You have to remove the original thermostat and modify the housing to fit the parts...

The thermostat is removed by removing the lower radiator hose from it by prising up the metal retaining collar and pulling the hose off, remove the wiring plug to it and then four 10mm bolts and remove it from the FF

You then remove the rubber "O" ring and cut off the two alloy lugs shown in the picture with a dremel or hacksaw

Grind/file the lugs down until they are below the level of the mating surface, run a straight edge across the face of the part and ensure what remains of the lugs is lower... The two parts on the right are the remains of the old thermostat and they go in the bin... You may have to file/grind a bit more off for the bleed nipple on some thermostats, but this will be obvious when you try to put it together, the one I have in at the moment doesn't have a bleed nipple...

The new parts come assembled as shown and also come with longer bolts and a gasket.

Assemble as shown below, DO NOT use any form of liquid sealer, the gaskets go on dry...

Click image to enlarge

As you can see the body of the assembly is now deeper but the overall length is still less, it means the bottom hose fixing is further from the engine but this has no effect on the hose or anything else and everything fits fine...

Bolt the new assembly back into place, it comes with one allen headed bolt which you may find easier to put in the bottom rear bolt hole, I found it was OK with the normal bolts and a long reach 10mm, 3/8 drive socket fitted well enough.

Torque these bolts to no more than 10lb ft, you won't get a torque wrench in there but basically just nip them up, go too tight and you need a new water pump, not tight enough and it will leak....

There are three different temperature thermostats available

SWAG or FEBI part number 30918294 opens at 75�C

Carlostat by Vernet part number TH5973.80J opens at 80�C

MEILE part number 028 287 0007 opens at 87�C

I have tried all three and they don't seem to make much difference, the coolant, as measured from the outlet of the engine, ie, the hottest it will be, stays around the 90deg C mark. I ran without a thermostat for several months until the cold weather started and it was taking a while to warm up, it would sit around 90deg C then as well so I suppose that is the temp the engine gets the water to, it also shows that this mod is not restricting the circulation of the pump. Both my pump and rad are pretty new so if yours runs hotter look for other problems. The temp of water coming out from the bottom of the rad is always around 20deg C cooler than the water going in.

Mine has been in for some time and has been out at least three times to change the stats, I'm still on the original gaskets that have worked fine with no leaks, if it comes out again I will probably change them, they are �5 for a set if you message the seller of the mod.

If the plastic on your hoses is brown (see pic) then they will fall apart when you try to remove them, this is the result of the silly hot temp it used to run at... They should be black.

I know this sounds funny but the FF now feels more relaxed, it runs just as it did before just cooler, it has made no difference to the MOT emissions as these are not as strict as the Construction and Use regulations and are measured in a different way. Economy is unchanged. I can't find any negative things about this mod... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

There is a very amature video from the guy who makes them, luckily his machining is better than his camera work.

There are some direct replacement stats available for various different fitments of the M62 and M60 engines, I had a look at some of these but they all seem to be far more expensive than this mod, I've seen a few cheaper ones recently but these are pattern parts and I don't like to trust the stats...

A big thanks to p38arover for some of the pics.... Thumbs Up

Last edited by Haylands on 5th Jun 2022 3:42pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #403704 6th Sep 2016 6:35pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

A great write-up Pete.
I've done the mod as well, and can vouch for its effectiveness, and simple fitting. It's harder to understand, without your pictures, so, this shows what we need to know. And we can always return to stock, if we were in any doubt.

Post #403715 6th Sep 2016 7:39pm
UK Marine

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Brilliant Pete, that's taken a lot of the mystery and apprehension away for me.

Even though I've just forked out for a new standard thermostat I've just ordered one of these mods as I was never really happy at the strain the higher temps were placing on all of the connected systems.

Thank you Pete

Regards ______________________________
Simon

Range Rover Classic 3.5 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 3.9 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 4.2 LSE - Sadly gone
Land Rover 110 3.5 - Gone
Range Rover P38a 4.0 SE - Pleased it's gone
Range Rover P38a 2.5 DHSE - Just sold
Range Rover L322 4.4 v8 Petrol - Current

Post #403716 6th Sep 2016 7:45pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Pete, you simply ROCK!

thanks l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #403736 6th Sep 2016 9:09pm
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Yes great info Pete,something I will certainly concider

Post #403932 7th Sep 2016 8:02pm
UK Marine

Hi Pete,

A quick question regarding this mod, do you remove the o ring and leave it off or do you use it in conjunction with the paper gaskets?

I think I know the answer but would like to hear from someone whose been there and done that...

Cheers ______________________________
Simon

Post #403967 8th Sep 2016 12:41am
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

I reused the O-ring. Regarding not using sealant on the paper gaskets, my kit came pre-assembled. Had it not, I would have used sealant. Mine is weeping very slightly at the paper gaskets. Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #403974 8th Sep 2016 5:41am
UK Marine

Ok, thank you.

I thought to use it as there isn't much in the way of metal on the thermostat housing.

Cheers ______________________________
Simon

Post #403981 8th Sep 2016 7:40am
Haylands

Yep, use the "O" ring again without a gasket at that end, gasket goes between the three leaves and another against the water pump.

p38arover, I would imagine something has been damaged or you have a burr, run a fine file over all the mating surfaces to see if you have some high spots, mine has been off and on quiet a few times and the gaskets are getting very "used" looking but still seal fine..

Nothing wrong with using a SMALL bead of silicon on them if needed though, just be careful you don't use too much and it gets squashed out inside the water way, this can come off and jam the thermostat or get stuck in the smaller pipes that go to the gearbox cooler. A very small bead around 1-2mm is all that should be needed.

You will probably find you need a new gasket if you ever take it apart again as the silicon will stick the surface of the gasket to the alloy and the gasket rips as you remove it... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #403987 8th Sep 2016 8:21am
UK Marine

Good man, thank you very much ______________________________
Simon

Post #403994 8th Sep 2016 8:52am
Xray charlie

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

Pete,

I must thank you on 2 counts, first on a great write up that clarify any doubts anyone would have about tackling this job, and secondly for recommending this mod, I finally got around to fitting mine this afternoon and I agree completely with your comment about engine behaviour afterwards. I took mine out to get warmed up properly prior to letting in go cold for a coolant check and it was as you say more 'relaxed' it settled down to a quieter smoother tickover and seemed smoother throughout the Rev range. Below are some pics of mine in progress and fitted.
Luckily no corrosion in thermostat plug.

Take care with air intake pipe, previous owner paid £300 because this elbow was broken.

Old thermostat mounts 'dremeled' out

New kit finally fitted.

Post #404268 9th Sep 2016 11:51pm
Haylands

Yes. it's a weird sensation.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #404274 10th Sep 2016 12:35am
desertdude

United Arab Emirates 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Alaska White

Good find Pete, Got a question though, even at the coldest we don't even come close to single digit temps in centigrade and in summer high 40s or even 50C, it was 45C-ish todayi, and since you mentioned you ran without a T,stat for months, I'm thinking of getting rid of it althoghter, one less thing to worry about.

I know it will take longer to warm up but here in these temps it doesn't take more than a few minutes to reach temp.

So what you think, good idea or .............. !!!!!!

Post #404659 13th Sep 2016 6:18pm
Haylands

There is the argument that it may effect the flow in the system which "could" cause problems, in reality I don't think it would make much difference, if I were you I'd give it a go, it doesn't take long at all for it to get upto temp in the summer here so I can't see it's an issue there....

Make sure your viscous fan is working properly, stuff a newspaper in it when the engine is fully warm, if you get confetti then it's fine... Also check the elec fan infront of the rads is working OK as this is used by the aircon AND the engine if the temps get high... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #404661 13th Sep 2016 6:26pm
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Hey Pete why this mod vs just using a 740D thermostat?

Post #404684 13th Sep 2016 8:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>