Home > Technical (L322) > Water Ingress and Control Module Locations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tommartin

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black
Water Ingress and Control Module Locations

Hello all,

Long time listener (lurker), first time caller (poster). First of all good job keeping the forum as informative as it is. It’s been very helpful.

One thing I can’t seem to find however, is control module locations for the 2010 and later models? The RAVE manual locations don’t seem to match the later models. The BCU for instance isn’t under the passenger seat. This is what I suspect to be the issue given the electrical problems I’m getting (HVAC/Instrument cluster/audio/seats/windows/central locking etc. all intermittent) and also getting a can bus comms fault code on my diagnostics. Where I have found water ingress there are no cable terminations/connections and there are no modules physically present so I don’t really know where to look next for damage.

Every module that I can get to/can find seems dry and corrosion or damage free, apart from the parking module which had a small amount of corrosion and has since been cleaned. Incidentally there is no water in the back at all so don’t suspect this area, I think it may just be historic.

I have cleared and cleaned the drain plugs just under the bonnet for the channel at the bottom of the windscreen and I think that has done the trick regarding the leak but now need to resolve my electrical problems.

Thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to help.

Tom

Post #652394 2nd Jan 2023 11:27pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Re-check the parking module if it's had water ingress, CAN communication will be disrupted if there is any corrosion on the connectors - either CAN or power. also check for any water ingress to splices in the harness' in the locations you have found water ingress. I doubt there will be any 'quick fix' for this, it'll be test & check many times over.

Post #652395 2nd Jan 2023 11:53pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

What faults are you seeing for the various systems? If they're all comms faults then maybe there is only 1 canbus fault.

Post #652398 3rd Jan 2023 5:06am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

There's a full workshop manual for the 2010 on cars in the Wiki section that you can download which will have all the correct component locations. I lost 2 parking assist modules though unknown water ingress. Relocated the 3rd one so the wiring enters at the bottom and sealed it in a plastic bag so hopefully that's fixed. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #652409 3rd Jan 2023 10:32am
tommartin

Thanks for your quick response everyone,

And thanks Jaygee, I hadn't realised the later workshop manual was available.
How did you test the module to see it was toast and not a case of just cleaning up the connectors? Can you just plug and play a replacement parking module?

GraemeS - Yes I think it is just comms faults across multiple modules.

Another thing I have thought of, that there was a lot of water running down the windscreen and into the engine bay (terrible rain the last few weeks) before I cleaned the channels, less so now but still a few drips on heavy rain. But I notice the ABS module just by the bulkhead is on the list for the CAN network. This is or was getting slightly wet so could this be a problem or is a small amount of water to be expected in this part of the engine bay? I also noticed a couple of connectors further down in the cavity in front of the bulkhead which look wet. Could this be related? I was just assuming that these could get slightly wet given that they are in the firing line of water and not tucked away somewhere.

Thanks again all

Post #652412 3rd Jan 2023 11:03am
tommartin

Thanks for your quick response everyone,

And thanks Jaygee, I hadn't realised the later workshop manual was available.
How did you test the module to see it was toast and not a case of just cleaning up the connectors? Can you just plug and play a replacement parking module?

GraemeS - Yes I think it is just comms faults across multiple modules.

Another thing I have thought of, that there was a lot of water running down the windscreen and into the engine bay (terrible rain the last few weeks) before I cleaned the channels, less so now but still a few drips on heavy rain. But I notice the ABS module just by the bulkhead is on the list for the CAN network. This is or was getting slightly wet so could this be a problem or is a small amount of water to be expected in this part of the engine bay? I also noticed a couple of connectors further down in the cavity in front of the bulkhead which look wet. Could this be related? I was just assuming that these could get slightly wet given that they are in the firing line of water and not tucked away somewhere.

Thanks again all

Post #652413 3rd Jan 2023 11:03am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

The damage was obvious and this was after less than 6 months....
Just plug and play but don't waste money on used ones like I did. Got ( both of) mine from Island 4x4. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #652416 3rd Jan 2023 11:42am
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

The transfer case module which is mounted forwards of the brake master cylinder / ABS module isn't sealed so water can get into the connectors and the module itself from underneath the module. Its always a good module to check early as you will see staining and possibly corrosion on the connector contacts if it has been affected by water. The module can be dismantled and washed in soapy water then left to dry thoroughly, but sometimes the pcb is too corroded so a replacement module is then required.

Post #652417 3rd Jan 2023 11:45am
tommartin

Thanks lads,

I've gone over near enough all of the modules again today and no noticeable corrosion or ingress anywhere. The Parking module was no where near as bad as yours there Jaygee. Now I have cleaned it up, the corrosion on one point of the PCB has now completely gone. I'm fairly confident it won't be this.

I guess I'll keep looking but running/run out of ideas now.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Post #652522 4th Jan 2023 6:22pm
tommartin

Graeme - Do you happen to have any schematics/circuit diagrams for the canbus? I see from other posts of yours it's on a ring and spur topography. So this means if a module is at fault, disconnecting faulty modules should bring the communication back up? Is the end of the ring the instrument cluster or somewhere else? As multiple modules have lost communication and it is a ring spur network, could this mean the likely fault is a cable? I should add odd things come back up without any changes and also go back down again without anything changing.

Thanks in advance mate.

Post #652541 4th Jan 2023 8:24pm
tommartin

For posterity, I think I solved this by covering the battery in a sheet of plastic. I have no idea why that would work as there isn't anything on the CAN BUS network in there but it seems to have done the trick. The only reason I did it was out of sheer exasperation of trying everything else I could. It seemed like there was too much water in there so was just a bit of a last ditch attempt but 6 months on...

Thanks to everyone who helped

Post #665979 5th Jun 2023 9:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1