Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > UK Breaks. Ideas Thread.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
UK Breaks. Ideas Thread.

Knowing there are many tin tenters among us, I thought I would put the feelers out for recommendations and favourites in terms of UK sites.

We, SWMBO the kids and I that is, have been all over the bottom 2/3 of the UK over the years but it has now gotten to the point where we seem to be visiting the same old places over and over again Big Cry . I thought it would be good to get some ideas of new campsites to visit and places to go, which might interest both us and the kids. Pretty sites with good facilities close to somewhere to visit for a day seem to be the best idea!

No doubt there are folks out there who have been to places they love which we haven't been to and visa Versa. Below are a couple of My favourite spots. I won't review as you can look that up on www.UKcampsite.co.uk

Best and favouritest: Lincoln Farm Park - standlake, Oxfordshire, good things to do locally, incl Cotswold wildlife park

Longleat CC site - erm... longleat and Bath is close enough.
Sandringham CC site - sandringham house and easy access to the North Norfolk coast.
Cirencester CC site - ideal for learning Romans.......

We are off to Clippesby Hall too in a few weeks, have tried to go a couple of times, but always been thwarted by someone being poorly. So fingers crossed for this year

If anyone has any suggestions please post them up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #406134 24th Sep 2016 8:37am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Lincoln Farm Park is great.
Hillhead - South Devon coast - one of the best.
Moreton in the Marsh. A short walk into a lovely market town. Good curry house. Fairly central.

Post #406136 24th Sep 2016 8:57am
Clivefog

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Warren-Farm Brean Sands is a great site - good for exploring or just relaxing.

Going there next weekend if any one is interested Field 11.

Post #406143 24th Sep 2016 9:15am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

mzplcg wrote:
Lincoln Farm Park is great.
Moreton in the Marsh. A short walk into a lovely market town. Good curry house. Fairly central.

Been to both of these and recommended Thumbs Up

Post #406145 24th Sep 2016 9:21am
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

We tend to use CL's a bit and stay away from larger commercial sites....I'm not a snob but an episode of 'Benefit Street' on a site is not my idea of fun !

Also not sure how far you wanna travel or what you like doing but there is a host of choice we use. We tend to find a locale that accomodates what we want to do.

Spent the weekend at Llandegla Fisheries 2 weeks back. £18.00 a night inc EHU. On a fishery, so we could do a spot of evening fly fishing and over the road from Llandegla MTB trail centre.

Pretty much perfect weekend. Ride bike, then fish, catch trout, eat trout, wash down with red wine Thumbs Up

We're heading to Matlock in a few weeks where we stay on the rear of a little pub. Great local homemade food and beer, out on the bikes in awesome scenery and then into Matlock for their annual illuminations (not seen them but told they are worth a wander around). Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #406147 24th Sep 2016 9:23am
northernmonkeyjones

Good ideas Thumbs Up keep em coming. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #406158 24th Sep 2016 10:31am
ajac8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Not sure how old your kids are but....

If you like a bit of retail therapy Cheshire Oaks CC site in Chester. Very easy to get to and just over the road from a large outlet village. Easy drive into Chester too inc Chester Zoo.

Blackmoor CC site in Malvern is very nice and a short drive into Malvern. Nice town but not really that much else to do but can be relaxing. Nice country pubs within walking distance.

I always thought Moreton in Marsh CC site crams too many people on and they have let large parties take over corners of the site before which can get rowdy Censored

Thumbs Up 405 AB exec seats Baltic and Cirrus
93 RR Classic efi

Remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!

Gone in order:
4.4 TDV8 SE - gone to a good home
93 Classic hard dash Plymouth Blue
03 L322 Oslo Blue
2000 Disco TD5 ES Epsom Green
98 P38 Rioja Red
89 Classic Cairngorm Brown

Post #406160 24th Sep 2016 10:55am
n1cktdv8

What do you like doing? Family stuff? Do you want a full singing and dancing site?

Give us a clue !! We do loads tbh but it's not everyone's cuppa tea....our stuff usually includes (without fail) consumption of good food and good drinks....with some mates, or just us as a family Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #406163 24th Sep 2016 11:40am
northernmonkeyjones

We aren't into all singing and dancing sites really, the kids like a pool and a decent playground, and are 8 and 10 so enjoy a good day out, but evening 'entertainment' isn't our thing!!

Have done Malvern, had forgotten about that site haven't been for ages, but yes, it is a well laid out site! Usually we go just with the family for a weekend and like something to go and see on one day and then somewhere good to go and eat on the Sunday lunch Thumbs Up

It's why we Lincoln farm park, last visit we did the wildlife park on the Saturday and then went into Witney for a slap up Sunday lunch, before heading home.

One are we haven't been yet is the Lakes. Might be worth a go, or somewhere around York, as there is much to see there too. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #406165 24th Sep 2016 12:17pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Lincoln Farm Park also has some other good bits. 2 pools which can be rented privately, complete with sauna, steam room etc but also the boozer just up the road. They do Sunday roast as a take out, you just go to the bar, order it and consume a couple of pints whilst you wait for it to be brought out. At least half an hour away from everyone else, a couple of beers, no cooking smells in the van. Love it.

Post #406172 24th Sep 2016 3:22pm
n1cktdv8

I really am the poor relation.....pools, sauna and steam rooms...

we're happy with a patio heater, BBQ, some music and a bottle of Rioja Mr. Green

I can't stand the the full on commercial sites, have only heard terrible stories of their 'clients' and I don't want the hassle of a weekend. For us;

1. Location; nice and peaceful with good views and mainly smaller sites/venues
2. Activities; something to do or see - mountain biking, walking or an attraction
3. Who; usually us and a couple of mates (kids are friends so half the battle is covered)
4. Never take the TV, rarely use any wifi....bluetooth speaker with a bit of Zero 7 or similar 'chilled' stuff Thumbs Up

Our children are 13 and 10 but are not tech-mad so they love a BBQ, firepit, patio heater at night watching the stars and having a good giggle Thumbs Up

I agree with no cooking smells....I'm the family chef but I much prefer my outdoor kitchen....Weber, Cobb and Cadac Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #406177 24th Sep 2016 3:54pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Nick, I'm with you - there is nothing better than watching the sun go down with a glass (or two) of wine. Geoff

Post #406182 24th Sep 2016 4:29pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Fully agree. We star-gaze a lot under fleece blankets if the sky is clear. A glass of good single malt keeps us even warmer.

Thirded for Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Thumbs Up

If you fancy seeing Henley-on-Thames, then Swiss Farm is worth a visit. It's borderline commercial in that it has a small bar, cafe and outdoor pool but it's discreet enough. The site is walking distance from Henley, or there are plenty of carparks if you don't. And, as you'd expect, nice restaurants, takeaways and an excellent butcher for barbecues.

Another favourite of ours is the Black Knowl CC site near Brockenhurst in the New Forest. It's small, has no wi-fi and is very peaceful, but within easy walking distance of Brockenhurst. There are some lovely walks and cycle tracks right outside or cycle and it's almost in the centre of the New Forest, so handy to see most things. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #406191 24th Sep 2016 4:50pm
northernmonkeyjones

Done black knowl too👍 Also did one of the camping in the forest sites near there which was 'rustic'.....

LFP is a great site just on the right side of commercial. Kids love the pool.

If you like CLs then I spotted the Tissington camping and caravan club CL last weekend. Just on the edge of the village, just off the tissington trail cycle path, and nice and basic👍 But with EHU water and chem disposal, I suspect it would be perfect for a quiet weekend of stargazing! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #406192 24th Sep 2016 5:10pm
northernmonkeyjones

trying to make the best of the few opportunities that seem to be available nowadays.

a couple of years back we were getting away in the van maybe 15 times a year, bot now that has dwindles down to about 6-8. "other activities' have taken over such as swimming practice, homework, scouts, band, gymnastics, drum practice etc etc etc etc.......

so i try and fill in the blanks with breaks. Fun as it is and we do enjoy it, we are doing less and less. We used to have week long breaks three times a year and maybe a jaunt over to france. I think we managed 4 days on the trott this year. Hey ho. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #406202 24th Sep 2016 6:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>