Home > General > L322 - Big Mileage?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sit

United Kingdom 
L322 - Big Mileage?

Afternoon,

Have danced with the idea of a RR for sometime now, had a big thing for the Sport after it came out and for many years after but of late I can't help thinking it looks very dated and hasn't aged gracefully at all. The FFRR on the other hand still looks immensely beautiful and almost, dare I say it, classic.

I have started looking around the market, and I am surprised how many examples have some fairly hefty mileage clocked up - reading some of the horror stories this seems to buck the trend and suggest they can go on for some considerable distance?

My price bracket seems to be turning up moderate mileage TD6 models and leggy TDV8 models, reviews suggest the V8 is huge leaps forward in all departments and even provides better economy?? I am hopeful that I can buy a post 2005 model and preferably a 2007 onwards when I understand there were a number of significant improvements?

I seem to detect a facelift around 2005 - did anything particular change at this point or was it minor cosmetic changes?

A strange left field question to end on but has anyone owned or driven a VW Touareg T2 V6 TDi and if so how does it compare with the FFRR, I appreciate when new the RR was considerably more to buy however as a secondhand buy they fall into range and the VW was another contender?

Si

Post #409737 18th Oct 2016 4:54pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

there is loads of info on here re the differences between the TD6 and the TDv8, and in terms of the drive train it is not just the engine. The gearbox on the tdv8 is a lot more robust than the TD6, though it can have its own problems they are much less frequent. The engine is also pretty robust, though this too can have issues, revolving around blown turbos/hoses, and failing alternators.

You are correct that there was a facelift about late 55 plate. The main differences externaly are the new grille and lights, internally there was a different entertainment/nav system, other than that the changes were minor and revolved around new seats and new centre vents and console.

Remember which ever you get to put aside a large chunk of money to keep it on the road. If you get a good one then they are a pleasure to own, if however you end up with a problematic one then they will bleed you dry. Buying a FF on a budget is not a thing to be entered into lightly.

There are some good buyers guides in the wiki, have a read and buy on condition and history rather than milage.

Personally at that age milage i would go petrol. Either a 4.4 AJv8 engined car if you can find one or a 4.2 SC, and this should isolate you from some of the problems the Diesel cars have. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #409739 18th Oct 2016 5:14pm
Macca

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Ditto above! Get a good one, absolute pleasure, get a "less good one" and deep pockets are needed. Be aware if going diesel may find TD6 is underpowered depends entirely on expectations also model 2006 cross over year, prone to some potential additional gremlins! but also many interchangeable BMW parts that can be a benefit if of course they are needed! D3 TDV6 SE 2006
FFRR TD6 Vogue SE Overfinch 2006
RRS TDV6 HSE 2007
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Overfinch 2012

Post #409743 18th Oct 2016 6:36pm
Sit

United Kingdom 

Thanks gents, Imam working my way through all the threads and info on here - it's certainly extensive!!!

In relation to the comment about the 2006 being a crossover year - is this all 2006 models, or certain VIN ranges? How would I know if a specific car was one of these hybrids?

In relation to the TD6 - did it remain unchanged throughout its time in the L322? I cant find any suggestion that it was revised or improved so the problems which plagued the early models I am assuming will also trouble later models?

Si

Post #409763 18th Oct 2016 8:00pm
archermav

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

What would consider to be hefty miles mate?

I've got an 08plate TDV8. Lovely thing. My brother in law has a TD6. Mine is soooo much smoother,quieter,quicker and better interior (all IMHO of course). Saying that, he prefers the seats in his TD6.

Couple of mates have had Toerags. One had the V10 (if my memory is correct). Nice car, somewhat stiffer than an RR. Embarassed

Another lad has the smaller engined one on an 06 plate I think. Nice car, but I think the interior is much nicer on the RR. Again, more car like than 4x4 like to drive, it reminds me of an X5 Censored

So, having tried the TD6 and both Touareg's, I bought a full fat TDv8. Rolling with laughter

Post #409780 18th Oct 2016 8:59pm
Macca

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

I believe the crossover was certain vin range circa mid 2005 (MY2006) which had a hybrid of BMW / Jaguar & Ford electronic systems as LR phased out the BMW E39 electrics. If you have access to hook up to JLR diagnostics all gets revealed via its trial and error on comms!

The Td6 BMW M57 engine is the same unit in the E53 X5 referred to as "bulletproof" by some in context of the X5 which having owned said machine imho I couldn't argue, well certainly the one I had although only for 30k trouble free miles! Totally different feel and performance in the X5 but then again completely different animal and significantly less kgs to haul around compared to L322. Turbo, turbo pipes, injectors, boost solenoid/valve, EGR and crankcase breather are to greater or lesser degrees things to be aware of in my experience on that unit.

Relayed to me as "Yup the 3ltr Td6 FFRR, makes a load of noise but Censored goes nowhere fast" which if you have been lucky enough to own one it kinda resonates! Thumbs Up but then again nothing wrong with that, each to their own! D3 TDV6 SE 2006
FFRR TD6 Vogue SE Overfinch 2006
RRS TDV6 HSE 2007
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Overfinch 2012

Post #409788 18th Oct 2016 10:33pm
Road Stone

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

G'day,

I have 130,000 miles on mine and it feels really good. TDV8 3.6. The only issue is a bit of play in the gearbox, a thump or two when slowing down. My understanding is there is a software fix for this?

Not going to get that here!

Cheers, Jerry THIS WRECKAGE

Post #411049 28th Oct 2016 5:52am
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Gday Jerry
Some new front EAS would help.

I just took delivery today of some identical prezzys from Dan. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #411111 28th Oct 2016 1:11pm
Road Stone

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Hi Pete,

You won't be disappointed, as you know from my experience

Cheers, Jerry THIS WRECKAGE

Post #411302 29th Oct 2016 7:14pm
pembsRR

Realistically they are expensive and complicated cars, so if something small goes, it will still cost. I had a steering sensor give up earlier this year, which threw out the stability control - to be fair the car was fine and drive able but I had it sorted asap and think it was £400 from my local Indy

Post #411331 29th Oct 2016 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1