Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > L405 problems !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
andy2577

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black
L405 problems !

Hi Guys
got an issue with a customers L405 , basically he bought the car from the insurance company as it was stolen/stripped and recovered.
It does not have a marker against it . he has taken the car to his local dealer and has purchased new modules for the vehicle but after several attempts by the dealer to Land rover , Land rover have said because the vehicle has a questionable history they are not prepared to help in any way.
the dealer has programmed the modules but says he needs something from Land rover to unlock the security on the car in order for it to run.

The dealer has made several attempts to contact land rover and provided all sorts of documents from the owner of the vehicle to prove that he is the owner of the car but they still wont release this information/software needed to get the car running.

My question is this... the dealer seems to think there is a company out there that can do this as they have access to the same information that land rover have but he cant remember the name of the company . Does anyone have any idea what or who he is talking about ?
Also would you say my customer has a claim against land rover over this ? the car is still in warranty and he has provided evidence to prove his legal entitlement to the car .

Thanks in advance 2002 - Blue L322 3.0 TD Vogue (Previous)
2006 - Black L322 4.4 V8 Vogue Autobiography (Previous)
2014 - Black L405 3.0 TDV6 Vogue Autobiography (Present)

Post #407668 4th Oct 2016 11:34am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I'd start with GAP

https://www.gap-diagnostic.com

Post #407751 5th Oct 2016 12:43am
andy2577

cheers bud but not sure this will solve the problem as its some sort of pin code or something that is needed to activate the security system so the modules can talk to the car so i have been told ? Confused 2002 - Blue L322 3.0 TD Vogue (Previous)

Post #407756 5th Oct 2016 6:21am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Still try GAP , they have access to more Land Rover software than any one else we have heard of and will certainly be able to tell you the actual truth rather than some corporate palm off .

P,S and they like a challenge Very Happy 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #407776 5th Oct 2016 10:39am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

If GAP can't help, talk to Blackbox Solutions, makers of the Faultmate. They seem to have access to all the latest ECU software of JLR and I used that on my 4.2 a few times to update ECUs.

Whether they can get that "special" software, no clue but asking is free Wink They're located in Cyprus.

http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/ MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #407785 5th Oct 2016 12:05pm
andy2577

Cheers for the info guys i will pass it on to him and see how he gets on , i know he is getting stressed out about and there was mention of threatening them with legal action but im not getting involved with that Whistle 2002 - Blue L322 3.0 TD Vogue (Previous)

Post #407787 5th Oct 2016 12:20pm
andy2577

UPDATE*
Land Rover playing silly beggers

My customer has been to the dealer today to try and get the information from the horses mouth so to speak with regards to what is going wrong . Aparently the dealer is trying to program the steering column , steering rack and the KVM but it wont have any of it .
When the SDD is coupled up it shows all modules are communicating to one another. So the dealer has requested a remote access to the vehicle from head office to see what or why he cant program the last 3 modules. He explained that it is likely that one module has gone down but without Land rover's help he is at a loose end . The only other way round it that the dealer can see is to replace every single module that is coded on the car in order to find the faulty on ebut as you can imagine this is one hell of an expensive way to go .
Im looking into this myself to find a company of someone who can remote access the vehicle or even find out which module or wiring that is faulty because the dealer has exhausted all his avenues and is relying on land rover to help which they just dont seem to want to do ? 2002 - Blue L322 3.0 TD Vogue (Previous)

Post #407969 6th Oct 2016 4:54pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

wow never heard about something that stüpid ! Evil or Very Mad All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #407973 6th Oct 2016 5:05pm
andy2577

oh its getting beyond a joke to be honest , doesnt say much for Land rover if they are unwilling to help out their own dealers ! 2002 - Blue L322 3.0 TD Vogue (Previous)

Post #407979 6th Oct 2016 5:33pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

It sounds like they are talking to the wrong person in JLR i.e. someone who does not know what the problem is and refuses to get help. Try to find another route into JLR customer service and remind them that their performance may end up on social media. The other day I found some pretty nasty social media comments (LinkedIn) about people spending Censored on Jaguars that went bust in a few years time. Not good for JLR while they are (supposedly) trying to increase the bad image re. quality of their cars.

Maybe the "I will let the whole world know" approach helps.

Also talk to Ryan, the JLR customer service contact here on the forum. He may be able to get some better help from JLR.

I think JLR needs to hire a top manager from Lexus and give that person carte blanche to set up a proper customer service organization. It would probably involve some pretty drastic re-programming of the attitude of most of the personnel but hey, this day and age you need to change with the times or go under. Look at Samsung, they are taking a massive hit on their exploding battery problems, not only because it happens but also because they seem to react too slowly. The cost of that issue is going to be MASSIVE in a time where they are under enormous pressure from the cheaper, high quality Chinese competitors (I just ordered a Oneplus 3 after 3 premature Samsung failures and lack of service). This is the same that is going to happen with JLR if they don't get their act together. Brand loyalty is fading and the competition is creeping closer and closer.

Anyway, try to find other routes into JLR to get help before taking the blunt approach and replace ECU after ECU !!! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #408048 7th Oct 2016 3:20am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

I think it is also the matter of which dealer you got to deal with - mine for an example installs even parts non OEM to my car that i have bought abroad Thumbs Up All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #408059 7th Oct 2016 8:04am
andy2577

Finally we are getting somewhere with this now .
I stepped in today and spoke to LR customer care and explained to them what was going on with the car and that i thought it was unacceptable that LR refuse to help solve this issue . After a LONG wait in the telephone que and several phone calls we have established what is going on.

Basically my customer as mentioned bought this vehicle from the insurance company and it was missing some modules , one of which was the engine ecu . He managed to source another ecu from a written off vehicle as well as other modules that he was missing but because the cars CAN BUS system needs to talk to all the modules , the VIN number needs to match up and the one that seems to be causing all the problems is the engine ecu . He asked me if these can be reset to factory instead of paying £930 for a new one and i seem to recal that these can be hard reset but cant remember how it is done ? basically the vin stored on the engine ecu needs to be erased completely and the new vin needs to be programmed into it.

As soon as this is done the car should run and everything should be sorted ...fingers crossed Rolling Eyes 2002 - Blue L322 3.0 TD Vogue (Previous)

Post #408133 7th Oct 2016 2:53pm
axle

Isn't the engine ECU read only ? I think LR was getting fed up of "alleged " re maps poping their engines so they were made tamper proof. Might be a reason . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.

Post #408242 8th Oct 2016 8:20am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Have you asked the guys at GAP? They would know for sure what can or can't be done on ECUs.

Also interesting is that one or two companies are offering remap services on this model (depending on engine which would suggest that it is possible to re-write parts of the main ECU.

Post #408246 8th Oct 2016 8:38am
axle

Certainly the first re maps were done by physically hacking in to the ECU boxes and adding something and things may have moved on from there but they are designed to be tamper proof ex-factory so Land Rover are always going to say " sir needs to buy a new one from us " , this is just my musing but we all are well awere of Land Rovers attatude to helping costomers of second hand stuff " that won't work , buy new" 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.

Post #408260 8th Oct 2016 10:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>