Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Newbie needing advice!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bozmandb9

Newbie needing advice!

Hello to all,

I've recently acquired my first FFRR, and learned a big lesson pretty quickly! That there is no such thing as a cheap Range Rover. I paid a low price for a car needing attention, but am now thinking perhaps i should have paid more for one not needing quite so much tlc.

The main problems have been:

PCV and breather assembly pipes all needed replacing
Tappet noise, yet to be fixed.
MAF just replaced to try to address poor fuel economy and stalling

Still need to find the final fix for the tappet noise, trying some Wynns Hydraulic lifter fluid, car is running 100% better than when I got it, but I'll not be really happy until I have a quiet engine. I'll live with the VANOS rattle, but don't like the knock.

Oh and for good measure I went and broke one of the rear lights on Sunday whilst reversing (have to start listening to the PDC). Still a good excuse to upgrade to supercharger rear lights, not sure whether to go for full clear, or red/ clear?

Anyway, despite it all, I love the car. I've always wanted a Range Rover, and never expected it to be cheap. Plus it's actually saving me money on fuel - I had a 740i before, and it didn't have the benefit of LPG as the RR has! So saving myself 30-50% on fuel costs!

Anyway, I'll stop rambling, and hope that I can take advantage of the accumulated wisdom on the forum!

Cheers,

David Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #41180 6th Dec 2010 7:49pm
M44K TS

England 

The fuel economy may very well be inked to the PCV hose problem.

As for S/C lights, personally, I'm not a fan, much prefer the red/clear. Thumbs Up 2006 Mercedes CLS
1991 Retro-style Mini
But really finding it hard to fight the urge for a S/C...

Post #41182 6th Dec 2010 7:53pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Hi David,

When you did the PCV system did you do all 4 hoses? If you only did the two on the top then you may still have a vacuum leak = poor running and poor mpg.

Also re the tappet noise - I thought mine was bad but it turned out to be the LPG injectors, they are really noisy, are you 100% sure its not them clicking away?

Dan 

Post #41183 6th Dec 2010 7:53pm
bozmandb9

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I think the fuel economy issue is done. The computer is showing around 20-21 now on gas, I realise it's not accurate for gas, however it was showing more like 17-18 before I replaced the MAF so I think it's probably running reasonably economically now.

The noise I'm afraid is not related to the LPG, it's more like a knock than a ticking! I've been told it's a lazy tappet, though others have suggested a cam, or timing chain issue (all mechanics suggestions). Anyway I thought the hydraulic lifter treatment would be a good place to start, if it's the chain then I'll try replacing the tensioner since I believe this is a pretty simple job!

Why oh why didn't I spend more to get a car without issues!!! (Still enjoying it though!) Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #41195 6th Dec 2010 9:09pm
dan_uk_1984

bozmandb9 wrote:

Why oh why didn't I spend more to get a car without issues!!! (Still enjoying it though!)

You could spend loads more and still have issues 6 months down the line. Some just cannot be avoided - It's a good BMW engine, but as you've found out they do have their issues.

Dan 

Post #41203 6th Dec 2010 9:24pm
bozmandb9

Guys, any thoughts on what my tapping, knocking noise might be? I'm wondering if it might be an ancillary since it's frequency seems to drop slower than engine revs, i.e. on the overrun the knocking noise falls away slower than the revs.

Thanks,

David Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #41357 7th Dec 2010 8:09pm
dan_uk_1984

Can you hear it from inside the car? Or just outside?

You could try removing the drive belts and run for a few seconds - but really only a few seconds as obviously your coolant pump wont be running.

This will tell you 100% whether its the engine or a bolt-on. You don't say what your mileage is, but at 120k I had to replace one of my belt tensions as it disintegrated without warning, maybe this is your warning.

Dan 

Post #41358 7th Dec 2010 8:29pm
bozmandb9

Hi Dan,

Can only really hear it from outside the car, occasionally can hear it very slightly from inside if engine cold and radio off. My engine has covered 95k.

Will try removing belts, cheers, David Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #41362 7th Dec 2010 9:05pm
Joe90

England 

bozmandb9 wrote:
Hi Dan,

Can only really hear it from outside the car, occasionally can hear it very slightly from inside if engine cold and radio off. My engine has covered 95k.

Will try removing belts, cheers, David

Should try a diesel Laughing .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #41365 7th Dec 2010 9:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1