Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Has anyone managed to do an EGR delete on a TDV8?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
miggit

United Kingdom 
Has anyone managed to do an EGR delete on a TDV8?

Just thought that I'd ask the question as I stumbled on something that may be of interest on a another site...

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthre...hlight=egr

I have just done the EGR (simple vacuum type, but it puts car in to limp mode if just disconnected, unlike the TD6) and swirl flaps on my German tractor Wink and this chaps posts have been very useful, AND they are transferable to other makes that use Bosch components Mr. Green Whistle which I believe the TDV8 suffers from Whistle Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #410139 21st Oct 2016 4:57pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I had mine mapped out a few weeks ago No error or faults codes showing 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #410146 21st Oct 2016 5:41pm
Gunning

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

I'd be interested to hear reviews of this if it's been done as I've just been told I need two new egr valves as they've shown up as a fault 19 L405 4.4 AB + Disco3 pick up + 800BHP Rothmans 911

Previous RR:
ALOT

Post #410159 21st Oct 2016 6:21pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle Well I can say almost without doubt there will not be any ffrr's sporting this mod.... However there is 50+ pages to that thread so have a read, I'm sure that there will be some feed back Wink

I'm not saying if it will or wont work, as I haven't done this, but I will say that I have done 2 other mods to my ML that were posted by that chap, and they have been successful Mr. Green I now have no swirl flaps (oow err misses!), and more importantly no orange light on the dash, and no limp mode... Which the ML happens to like a lot Rolling with laughter

The Mod is only a few pounds to do, it's up to you if you give it a go.. my swirl flaps have cost me less than £10 to delete... if it had gone to a garage I'd be looking at a new manifold and actuator which would cost over £600 and that is before any spanners have been taken out of their boxes.... even to buy a converted manifold would be over £100 on the bay of fleas Shocked So I'm quids in and Mr. Green

What they have done is to develop a way of fooling the ECU into thinking that the EGR is working when it isn't... the computer carries on thinking everything is OK and the engine continues to run on clean air.. win win Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #410173 21st Oct 2016 7:02pm
Gunning

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

The issue is with that is I have no idea if it'd relate to a tdv8 and I'm certainly no mechanic to start trying that! 19 L405 4.4 AB + Disco3 pick up + 800BHP Rothmans 911

Previous RR:
ALOT

Post #410181 21st Oct 2016 7:18pm
Bluegreygreen Rangie

Australia 

For the 3.6TDV8 you can get egr emulators, and a few mapping places are deleting" the egr part of the map so they say, either way ill be working out what is the best way to go cost wise more than anything and be doing mine asap... ill report back when done

At this stage i am looking at getting a re map and trying to have the egr deleted" also as part of it at no extra cost

I think then the egr unit can be removed?, and a blanking plug fitted, or perhaps it has to stay in place and the plug fitted... im not sure... have a bit to learn yet , perhaps some one else can chime in with hands on experience

Dave 2010 TDV8 Autobiography

Past - 02 & 03 TD6 And an 1984 Classic

GAP Diagnostics

Post #410271 22nd Oct 2016 3:43pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I've done about 8000km with emulators now. No problems. I'll just leave them in there closed off. I might look at seeing if the cooling system can bypass the EGRs. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #410324 22nd Oct 2016 9:40pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

As far as I'm aware, you can't actually totally map out the EGR's they can just dia them back to the point that they have little or no impact on the engine.... but that doesn't mean that they can't fail... which would then throw up a fault and cause limp mode Sad

What matie has devised is away of fooling the ECU in to thinking that the EGR is working OK, so that it can be unplugged and render it inoperable without the limp mode consequences Very Happy

Yes it was done for a Mercedes, but believe you me they are way fussier when it comes to the correct signals from modules than any other car I've owned, and they will drop in to limp mode just for fun Evil or Very Mad Being of German origin they use Bosch electronics, and as such if it works on a Merc it should also work on any other car sporting Bosch components... the Vacuum EGR delete that I did, was also done on a VW Golf, some Hyundi and I believe a Ford... all without complications. Now it is possible that the other makes have a similar system to the TD6 and just unplugging the ERG pipe would do the trick... but this mod ensures that if the system is monitored it will see a figure that the ECU accepts, and from what I can make out this electronic EGR delete is following the same lines Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #410337 22nd Oct 2016 11:33pm
Bluegreygreen Rangie

Australia 

rar110 wrote:
I've done about 8000km with emulators now. No problems. I'll just leave them in there closed off. I might look at seeing if the cooling system can bypass the EGRs.

Did you notice much in the way of imediatly noticable improvements, sound and economy etc 2010 TDV8 Autobiography

GAP Diagnostics

Post #413402 13th Nov 2016 5:17pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

The tdv8 seems a very well balanced smooth motor. But it was noticibly smoother and quieter after the emulators were fitted. There might be a small improvement on economy but too little to be really noticible.

The only odd change is that occasionally when idling the revs will drop about 100rpm for about 1/2 a second. It's barely noticible and doesn't seem to impact on anything. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #413431 13th Nov 2016 10:04pm
Bluegreygreen Rangie

Australia 

Sounds good Smile 2010 TDV8 Autobiography

GAP Diagnostics

Post #414243 18th Nov 2016 3:51pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I read on another forum that removing, blanking off or disabling EGR valves might result in an MOT failure as it is modifying the emissions system which the vehicle was previously approved with.

Would this apply to the emulator do you think? 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #415771 29th Nov 2016 12:24am
miggit

United Kingdom 

AFAIK the Nox isn't tested for the MOT as of yet so deleting the EGR function will not effect the MOT, however removing all traces of the EGR will cause you MOT problems, but as far as I know they aren't easy to see with the engine cover on Wink But the real trick is to leave them all plumbed in, but not functioning.. then all looks good... they don't read the ECU's for the MOT Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #415776 29th Nov 2016 1:19am
berkshirelad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

Removing the EGRs or fitting emulators will not affect the current MoT in any way.

They are mounted under the engine cover and MoT testers are not allowed to remove covers to check items.

In exactly the same way, the R75 CDT can be de-catted since the cat (or lack of) cannot be seen due to the underbody cover.

Post #415820 29th Nov 2016 4:21pm
ije44

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Barolo Black

Hello all,

I had my 3.6 TDV8 EGR's edited out yesterday by Dynachip.
The guy runs a mobile service so came out to my house. The whole operation took about 45 minutes. He even tweaked some of the responses which got rid of the turbo lag on pulling away.
The chap stated that he had transplanted a 3.6 TDV8 into a defender for racing which I thought was interesting. He knows his stuff.
The car does run noticeably quieter too.
He charged £250 for this service.

Ian

Post #469690 22nd Feb 2018 7:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>