Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Thinking of fitting Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac on my l322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
smiler289

United Kingdom 
Thinking of fitting Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac on my l322

Hi we are after some new tyres for our l322. We need to be able to get to our horses in bad winter weather and into and out of our field. Thinking of fitting g the goodyear wrangler duratrac 255 55 19.

Any opinions on this tyre?

Post #410309 22nd Oct 2016 6:50pm
stu_007

2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

It doesn't come in correct speed rating for FFRR so not really suitable. Only off-road tyre with suitable speed rating is from Cooper. "YYS" G4 FFRR
G4 2006 Thailand Support Vehicle - Fleet Number 81

Post #410314 22nd Oct 2016 6:56pm
smiler289

United Kingdom 

Yeh you are right. Their speed rating is far too low. I was also thinking about the vredestein wintrac xtreme s, they do have I believe the correct speed rating. I have used the xtremes on my volvo s60 for a good few years now in winter and they are brilliant. I realise of course they are not an off road tyre but I would imagine could do what we wanted.

Post #410315 22nd Oct 2016 7:16pm
border26

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

I have Duratrac's on my 03 G4. They are a fantastic replacement for the MTR that is no longer made. As Stu has pointed out they dont conform to the advised speed rating that is given by tyre manifacturing websites. Land Rover have gone quiet on recommendations for speed ratings on tyres as they offer most tyres depending on your requirement.... most only see the road on rangies and therefore need a rating capable of top speed!

The duratracs do come in 2 speed ratings Q and S. Most rangies require a V rating if you’re planning on going up to 149mph but lets face it the LAW is 70mph in the UK and you take the risk of getting points and a fine after that even though most of us will do it... we all take that risk!

Any tyre on any car should be selected for the required use.
[/img]

Post #410318 22nd Oct 2016 7:25pm
LandieBaz

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

The Duratracs come in 2 seed ratings, neither are good enough.... Also are you aware that after the 1st Nov many more aggressive tyres can no longer be bought by dealers as they will not comply with new noise level requirements for tyres..... Buy soon! Cooper LTZs are available and correct H speed and 111 load rated for 19 inch
Landiebaz
G4 "YYX" Fleet No 78 Thailand Laos

Post #410319 22nd Oct 2016 7:31pm
smiler289

United Kingdom 

Hi. Thanks for the I found. I was not aware of that no. The cooper's look good but I think I maybe swaying towards the vredestein winter tyres, we do more road driving than off road, very little off road really.

Post #410320 22nd Oct 2016 7:45pm
border26

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

I guess looking at this you can pick what you want... And as Land Rover shy away from a speed rating as you should pick a tyre for purpose... check out the law acording to The AA and Kwik-fit.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/uk-tyre-law

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/tyres.html

Post #410321 22nd Oct 2016 8:06pm
RRR207

Switzerland 2005 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I used to fit Wintrac Extremes on my D4 every winter.
They were amazing on road when the weather turned. However I do medical cover for MotoX events and they were absolutely useless as soon as you left the tarmac! We're not talking anything serious, just getting around a field, I never tried to drive on the actual track.
I've just fitted Grabber AT's to my FF, they were also the summer tyre on my D4. They did everything I asked of them & when I sold the car they'd done 30k miles and were barely showing any sign of wear. Current - RRV Autobiography 4.4V8 2005

Modifications - 20" Westminster Alloys with Grabber AT's. BRC LPG Conversion.

Previous- RRC 3.9V8/91. RRC 4.2V8/94 LSE Softdash. RRC 2.5tdi/94. RRC 2.5tdi/91. RR p38 2.5DHSE/01, Disco2 2.5td5/03, Disco4 2.7tdv6/10 ..... all gone.

Member of the RangeRoverRegister & Wessex4x4Response (Bristol Team)

Post #410451 23rd Oct 2016 9:02pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Duratracs are my winter tyres and I have been very happy with them. They are a LR homologated tyre for the 322 which is reassuring and helpful as regards insurance, I don't think Cooper or General are LR homologated and I recall a thread on here about LTZ sidewalls cracking.

On Duratrac performance: Off road (mud and grass) - not quite as good as the MT/Rs I had before, but pretty good and more clearance capacity than other brands I think. Can twitch a bit at the back when those tyres are on wet mud and fronts on better surface (I think RRs generally tend to oversteer due to weight balance front/rear). Like everything else can get clogged e.g. on wet clay, there are always limits (I have known quads and even argocats get stuck) but I think these are the best available for the 322 just now.
Snow/ice - last few winters have not been that severe, but have had no problems, much better than MT/Rs which were very hard and not happy on ice. Will not be as good on ice as actual winter tyres like the Vredestein Wintraxes etc. I'd say compound softer than normal summer tyres but not quite as soft as full winters. Good snow clearance due to sipe spacing as for mud/grass.
'Rock Crawl' type situations - will be less good than MT/Rs as sidewalls not 10 ply. I don't generally encounter that sort of terrain (other than on roads maintained by The City of Edinburgh Council Laughing ). I expect full winter tyres would tend to chip the tread in that sort of terrain as the compound is very soft.
Road - some reduction in handling and braking performance compared with road tyres such as Continental/Pirelli, but not as much as MT/Rs, likewise noise and fuel economy marginally poorer but nowhere near MT/R levels. I could live with them the year round, but as I have 20" wheels too, choose to use them in summer, for the better handling/braking/economy.

What a Censored outrage that off road tyres are being banned just because they are a bit noisier. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #410501 24th Oct 2016 1:25pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle Don't want to p*** on your strawberries, but, what are the implications of fitting tyres that are too lower speed rating for the car as far as insurance goes? Only knowing the way that they like to not payout for any reason... Most tyres, with the exception of the odd trailer and agri tyre will be rated for speeds over 70 MPH, but you could run into bother with your insurance company if they are not to the manufacturers specifications Rolling Eyes I would check and get it in writing before going ahead with a speed downgrade Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #410516 24th Oct 2016 2:42pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

CS wrote:

What a Censored outrage that off road tyres are being banned just because they are a bit noisier.

Shocked First I've herd of this Shocked The quicker we are out the Censored EU the better.... Whistle Will you be looking to emigrate south Shocked Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #410520 24th Oct 2016 2:53pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Going by the Goodyear chart the 255/55R19 Duratrac is S (112 mph) which is plenty for me, clearly for users in Germany who want to do 135 they will need to choose something else. You do need to take it a bit easier but I accept that.

Re the legal changes I'm just reacting to LandieBaz's comment, but do recall reading somewhere else that noise limits were coming (in the context of Pirelli Verde replacing Zero).

I really like living in Scotland and would prefer not to have to move, but the Scottish Government does have a policy objective of no combustion engined cars by 2030, so who knows. Scotland will have higher income tax than the rest of the UK from April 2017 so maybe that will be another factor, though the cost of moving and hassle etc is high. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #410527 24th Oct 2016 3:24pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Shocked No petrol engines Shocked I'm rather glad that my Granddad had the fore site to Censored off down south, just after Hitler levelled the docks in Glasgow Wink

And I personally think that you should be able to fit any tyre to your ride provided that it has the correct load rating, and legally you can't exceed 70MPH in the UK so anything should be ok, just have that nagging doubt that the insurance companies will see it as a change from manufacturers specifications and use that as an excuse not to pay out... they love their weasel words...

And if they are banning MT tyres, how long before farmer Giles is going to be forced to plough on a set of slicks Shocked If they want to reduce noise then maybe they should look at straight cut gears on HGV's they are way nosier that any tyre..... Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #410531 24th Oct 2016 3:43pm
smiler289

United Kingdom 

Hi. I have chosen to get a set of vredestein wintracs, driving will misting be on the road and very little getting in and out of the field. I have used vredestein winter tyres on my volvo for a few years now and have been very pleased with them. Saying that, I am trying the goodyear ultragrips this winter as they came top of the which test report.
The ff currently has Bridgestone tyres on it, not sure which ones but they are summer tyres and getting very low on tread so anything new will be better!
Now all I need to do is find out what the slight whine is from the gearbox when it shifts from 1st to 2nd.

Post #410537 24th Oct 2016 4:06pm
stu_007

2006 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Just fitted a set of Cooper LTZs 255/55 R19..... they certainly look the part and no real noise difference. "YYS" G4 FFRR
G4 2006 Thailand Support Vehicle - Fleet Number 81

Post #413768 15th Nov 2016 6:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>