Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > After Market Warranty....Which One?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
s2mac

After Market Warranty....Which One?

Dose anyone have experience of a after market warranty? Or can anyone recommend one? When i get a FFRR i would like to purchase one but only if they are worth while.

I have done some research and the feedback is mixed as you would expect. As with all things people who do not get the result they wished for are more motivated to shout about it so the review websites can be a little bit one sided.

S2

Post #41369 7th Dec 2010 9:40pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

If you do not want to pay for a LR warranty then a Warranty-Wise plan will do what it says on the cover and they do pay out which is quite a novelty in this market. Thumbs Up

Post #41373 7th Dec 2010 10:18pm
letsavit2

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Gazellio wrote:
If you do not want to pay for a LR warranty then a Warranty-Wise plan will do what it says on the cover and they do pay out which is quite a novelty in this market. Thumbs Up

logged that ready for when my gearbox starts doing funny things... Whistle 2004 black Vogue TD6

Post #41375 7th Dec 2010 10:26pm
s2mac

Warranty Wise was the one that i had leaned towards after researching the net but you want to hear it from someone with actual experience so that helps a lot. Thanks

Post #41378 7th Dec 2010 10:42pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I had warranty-wise on my previous RR. It was an exclusionless warranty - turned out it didnt cover:
Handbrake warning switch
Steering column failure
Ball joint failure
Water pump total distruction
Coolant level sensor
or a juddering gearbox - they said they would rather wait till it failed (and then probably refuse to pay)

All in all I repaired all of the above for less than the cost of the warranty! Needless to say, I did not renew. 

Post #41380 7th Dec 2010 10:46pm
s2mac

back to square 1.

I would go for the Land rover warranty but i don't think it includes "wear and tear" which the likes of warranty wise do.
As far as i am aware the LR one is not really a LR product but just another "insurance policy" so i think it will have the same pit falls as the others.

Not sure what to do maybe just pay for any problems and hope nothing to big happens. Having never had a RR i am just a little cautious.

Post #41383 7th Dec 2010 11:12pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
I had warranty-wise on my previous RR. It was an exclusionless warranty - turned out it didnt cover:
Handbrake warning switch
Steering column failure
Ball joint failure
Water pump total distruction
Coolant level sensor
or a juddering gearbox - they said they would rather wait till it failed (and then probably refuse to pay)

All in all I repaired all of the above for less than the cost of the warranty! Needless to say, I did not renew.

The point is the Warranty will cover what is says it will cover and nothing else. You just need to read what is covered by the terms of your policy. Rolling Eyes

Post #41384 8th Dec 2010 8:00am
Fox

United Kingdom 

I know this is not the actual answer but...

Do many people use an aftermarket warentee?

When my LR approved used one ran out I was quote nearly £1000 by Land Rover to cover the vehicle from 4 to 5 years.
As this is not a real LR one, just a rebranded aftermarket one I didn't take it up. In total over 2 years and 36,000 miles my FFRR cost me £200 in repairs other than regular servicing.

My view has always been that it's a bit of a lottery, but overall warentee businesses make a profit. So if the average FFRR costs £500 a year to fix they are probably charging about £700. Sure, you can get unlucky. But then again you could not...

By a decent car that is well checked out first, then keep some money aside for repairs and drive it sensibly? (Just my view)

Post #41387 8th Dec 2010 8:17am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Gazellio wrote:
The point is the Warranty will cover what is says it will cover and nothing else. You just need to read what is covered by the terms of your policy. Rolling Eyes

When I bought the car it had the remainder of the warranty as purchased by the previous owner, so thankfully I didnt actually buy it.

When a warranty is described as "Exclusionless" I believe it should have no exclusions. Warrantywise are a bunch of weasel bastards... Upon reading up on them, they generaly decline every claim until the 2nd or 3rd time you appeal - in writing. Which is no good if your car has broken down and sitting in a garage, they also argue hard when paying for emergency repairs after the fact so just paying for it yourself and claiming it back doesnt work too well either.

Buy a good one in the first place, put the warranty money to one side in the bank and just pay for the odd bits out of that pot. 

Post #41389 8th Dec 2010 8:44am
SAppie

United Kingdom 

I totally agree with the "Fox", I had the so called "Land Rover " warranty that was extended after 3 years, but when I tried to use it to cover a few items (condensation in lights, SAT NAV antennae), they kicked up a huge stink about it, and in the end I managed to get Landrover to cover it, but I had to pay for a couple of hours of labour..... If this work was done on the original 3 year "real" Landrover warranty, they wouldn't even have questioned any of it....

So, beware. I personally don't think that its worth the paper its written on, I'd sooner not have any of these aftermarket covers, because all will be an issue one way or another. Better doing as "Fox" has said, and make sure you buy a well looked after motor in the first place, and within the first 3 years, you have Landrover fix every little issue that may arrise, no matter how small it may be.

Good luck with that, I know it's a tough one. I don't have a warranty any longer... Sad

Post #41391 8th Dec 2010 8:56am
s2mac

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I think I will not bother with a warranty and try to buy the best car i can.

Post #41397 8th Dec 2010 9:46am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

I agree with most of the above and after-market warranties should never be confused with manufacturer warranties.

Independent dealers generally offer aftermarket warranties as part of the sale agreement and in most cases these are purchased by the dealer without a profit element (although this can be built in).

In my case I talked to many warranty companies about their product and did as much research as possible and WarrantyWise was the clear winner based on my findings.

There are in fact different levels in cover ranging from Platinum to bronze and on big engines the lower levels of cover are offered.

In most cases the cover does include all major mechanical & electrical faults but as far as I am concerned there main purpose is protection from major mechanical breakdown.

If you get your car AA inspected or similar to prove current mechanical condition before buying the warranty then the warranty company will have no cause to state that a claim is for a pre-existing condition. After all they would be foolish to leave themselves open for abuse by people with existing mechanical problems....

I am happy including a free Warrantywise policy with each sale (at trade prices) but if I was a private owner I would probably buy a good car and keep it well looked after.

Post #41403 8th Dec 2010 10:57am
Fox

United Kingdom 

Gaz, as a dealer (hope you don't mind me asking) can you say what the legal implications are of a business selling to a private individual?

I was under the impression many dealers took out this 3 month warentee as they are legally responsible for certain faults within 3 months. That way it kind of covered their rear end. But I could be wrong?

Post #41406 8th Dec 2010 11:13am
Jem0911

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

My 2p worth.

I can not recommend Either of the big two, W direct and Wise.
Bad (sued em) experience with WD.

But I can highly recommend The AA and the mechanical and labour warranty they offer.
I have both my car and my wifes car covered.
Its only £500 per claim (5 allowed per year), but it only cost me £99 on top of the cover I already have with them.

They have paid twice on my wifes Mondeo, Both for items in my view are wear and tear.

Well worth a look. 15MY SDV8 Vogue SE

Post #41407 8th Dec 2010 11:26am
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

From my experience (and there are threads on here about the brakes)

LR approved fixed the compressor and a steering column motor which was slow.

I had a sh*te time with LR Approved over brakes sticking which they refused to cover the discs/pads despite the fact that they were new when I bought the car supplying dealer Farnell (previously guy salmon Leeds) didn;t want to know either.

I kicked off and eventually got satisfaction from a combination of Hatfields, LR Customer Service etc...

Then the NF ring around the ignition barrel failed meaning it wouldn't disengage the immobiliser or steering lock, they paid up.

Now it's due to go in on Monday for a leaky diff spotted on 75k service last week. Big Cry Hopefully covered.

The Service manager at the dealership is also asking about the windscreen as the heated part has a fault which is about 4" wide just to the right of centre of the steering wheel- I don't think they'll cover that TBH.

Basically if they cover the diff then I'l have more or less broken even- at Stealer prices however the converse is that I'd probably have done most of the work myself.

Don't think I'll be renewing it next year... (cue transmission failure!!!)

Neutral

Post #41427 8th Dec 2010 12:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>