Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Newbie & Probably Obvious Questions??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
w8pmc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey
Newbie & Probably Obvious Questions??

Firstly hello.

I'm going a little left field with my next car purchase & have decided to tick a box on my 'must own at some point' list, that being a FFRR.

My history in the main has been various performance saloons such as Audi RS's & BMW M's with an R35 GT-R in that mix & a couple of A8's. Current car is a Stage 2 tuned BMW F10 M5 which i've enjoyed immensely, but the time has come to change so i've ordered a new TDV6 Autobiography with a selection of options for collection late March 2017. Now i'm sure my relatively dumb questions have been asked before on here, but i did apply a search before asking & couldn't really get a full picture so here goes.

Firstly is the TDV6 vs. SDV8 point. I've been told the TDV6 is the engine of choice as is a sweet unit & more than capable in the FFRR. I've driven 2 such power plants & tended to agree that the power is more than ample for the new lighter RR with the benefit of quite frankly astonishing economy, but having not driven the SDV8, is the real world difference more apparent as i've heard the economy gap is less than the brochure would suggest. Most of the driving will be motorway with very little B Road work, so would the enhanced handling on the SDV8 (can't recall the name but was something Dynamic) be worth the extra £7k as the loss of economy but with only a marginal uplift in performance is not shouting 'spend me'?

Secondly is the sound system, both cars i drove had the mid range Meridian system which is standard on the Vogue SE (this was the model i drove) & of course it's standard on the AB & it did sound good but not amazing. I'm used to the mid range systems in other cars such as Bose in Audi's & HK in BMW's but have never ticked the B&O or B&W boxes at around £5-6k. That said i've also been driving cars where listening to the engine/exhaust has been somewhat fun, but in a V6 diesel i feel i'll be listening to the music system more. Does the Signature system which i've opted for but can of course change appear worthy of the extra £4k, or is the difference between the 2 systems marginal?

Other options i've ticked are Privacy Glass, Homelink, Adaptive Xenons, Extra Washer Bottle, Semi-Aniline Seats Style 24 & the 22' wheels Style 707. Any other obvious options i've missed as the AB comes pretty well spec'd as standard. My colour choice is Carpathian Grey which i feel is both subtle & set off very well with the larger 707 wheels.

Sorry for what are probably obvious questions, but i've never owned anything in the JLR stable so am kind of in the dark with this purchase.

Also can anyone confirm the changes to the MY17 as i've been told the infotainment system has been enhanced in both size & display resolution & slight changes to the front headlamps. Anything else changing on the MY17?

Thanks in advance.

Post #411442 30th Oct 2016 4:15pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the forum and I recognise your name from PH as I too had an F10 M5 and I've remember some of the issues you experienced with I believe was a Friday afternoon car which BMW replaced or am I wrong.. I have very fond memories of my M5 and may some day go back to one just to experience winding it out in third gear again...epic performance from what can be used as a daily family saloon but changes to a rip snorting monster with the press of a button or two.

Going back on topic, I tried both engines initially and settled on the V6 for both economy, slightly lighter front end, smoother engine and I just didn't feel the extra money was justified for a thirstier engine. The V8 benefits are the mid range is superior to a V6 and the Dynamic handling package does make the corner a lot flatter, You'll find the V6 has quite a lot of body roll.
MPG wise I get late 20's to early 30's so good for what it is.
I'm now on my second L405 after spending 11 months in the first car and 11 months in the current one that was bought new. Reliability wise, this current car has been faultless but the previous one was let's just say "challenging".
I recently towed a large boat to the Med and wished then that I'd gone for the V8 as the V6 lacked power on some of the motorways in Europe but that's the only time I've thought about the V6 lacking.

Regarding sound systems, being half deaf I just don't or can't distinguish a good or bad system nowadays so cannot offer any comments on that but I'm sure someone from here will be along soon.

Your new car sounds lovely and a great choice of colour too. The AB is well specified as standard and I cannot think of anything else to throw at it at all.I have to say the adaptive lights are a good choice as too are the wheels and being a MY17 you will get the new infotainment system which is soooo much better than the current system. I've looked at a MY17 car and was told only the electronics had been improved but not heard about the lights but stand to be corrected.

You'll find loads of good advice on here too from what seems a friendly and knowledgeable bunch.
Be sure to load up pics when it arrives.

Post #411444 30th Oct 2016 5:28pm
w8pmc

Hi Andy & yes that was me. First F10 M5 failed after 8mths & although BMW looked after me very well & the 2nd car has been faultless, even with the tune, I only envisaged having one for 3yrs but combined it will now be 4 so I have growing itchy feet.

The RR is totally left field for me, but should suit perfectly what I need from a car for the next couple of years. The V8 does tempt me & if the uplift was a couple of £k I'd likely do it, but I'll unlikely be towing & very little driving would be deemed as exciting roads so the V6 probably fits the bill best.

Post #411457 30th Oct 2016 6:41pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

You must go for the Signature system, it is so superior over the normal system and you will regret it if you dont.

DrF

Post #411458 30th Oct 2016 6:58pm
w8pmc

But do you mean the normal system in the Vogue or the normal system in the Vogue SE & Autobiography as I'd guess significant differences in quality between those 2 systems.

Post #411459 30th Oct 2016 7:13pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Lack of Dynamic Response is quite a big deal I'd say, also prefer the torque delivery of the V8 (even if it is a tiny bit less refined).

Post #411477 30th Oct 2016 8:42pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

You need to try both the V6 & V8 - they both have their supporters and it's a personal choice. Given your ownership history, I'd be surprised if you settled for the V6, but you never know.....

For the sound systems - IMHO the 'base' Vogue variant is poor and the VSE/AB 825w installation is much better. The signature system is very good, but very expensive - so again, you really need to have a listen and see if the difference is worthwhile for you. Also depends on how long you plan to keep the car, as it won't add significantly to resale value, the longer you own it, the easier it's going to be to justify.

Post #411483 30th Oct 2016 9:05pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

I would go 5.0 Supercharged. You wont regret it. Any yes signature hifi is loads better than both base and mid range systems.

You only live once

DrF

Post #411513 30th Oct 2016 11:10pm
w8pmc

Thanks for the answers.

For me the 5.0 SC defeats the object as i'd like to lower my running costs from the M5 for my next car. No getting away from how impressive the big petrol engine is but not really for me in such a car.

Agree with the only live once, but at £100k it's already a significant outlay so adding to that too much is not something i really fancy, although i am being drawn to changing my order to the SDV8.

Post #411528 31st Oct 2016 7:56am
Pixelpower

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Santorini Black

I drove both V8 and V6 and preferred to V6 on the grounds that it felt lighter and was more refined, which is what I bought. The base stereo isn't great, but I only listen to Radio 4, so it's fine for that.

Having said that, I'll probably go SC next time or 4.4 just for a change. Have a nagging suspicion that diesels suit this car better. I just wish the 4.4 was closer to 400hp. I suspect that'll come when the new diesels come online, hopefully MY18, which is when I plan on changing.

I've got an Aston for racing around - the V6 is a fine car. I'd don't think you'd be disappointed with one. Just go for the 825 stereo, it's much better. I don't know why Land Rover don't offer an upgrade option to existing owners. I think they're missing a trick with not offering fitting to existing owners.

Post #411530 31st Oct 2016 8:03am
w8pmc

The Meridian 825watt stereo is standard now on the Vogue SE & AB, only the Signature system is an upgrade on those 2 models.

These decisions would be so much easier if i had more experience with the JLR brand. Being honest the stories of poor quality Customer service are not helping as i've to date had excellent service from the Audi dealers i've used as have known them for years & BMW in the main have been good, although communication isn't their strong point & they do c0ck up every now & again.

Post #411532 31st Oct 2016 8:13am
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

The SDV8 AB that i drove had the standard fit Meridian stereo in it, for me i would never need or spend more on the stereo.I thought it was excellent.
w8 if you are buying new check out JAYBOY posts i believe he got a great deal too.

Post #411538 31st Oct 2016 8:44am
bra10j

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Orkney Grey

This is the same quandary that I was faced when buying our RR.

Rear seat entertainment and the Signature 1700w were a must for us but having driven both the V6 and V8 diesels I was left mulling over whether or not the V6 would be man enough as I tow my race car to events with the RR. In the end the V6 won me over and I've covered 40k miles with it now. I've recently had the engine remapped too as the low down flat spot they all have was annoying me. Now I feel it's the best of both worlds performance-wise and for economy.
I do still miss the flat cornering that the V8 offered so I always have the car in sport mode which seems to firm up the suspension a touch and helps offset some of the body roll.
I do keep reminding myself the the RR is just a workhorse and kid hauler. My weekends cars are for performance.
I doubt you would regret the V6 as the RR is more about the place you sit and how comfortably you get to your destination but it's really about how quickly you can go as you'll never beat the physics of the fact that it's a 2T+ car with high roll centre. Current Fleet;
2013 L405 Autobiography
2015 W205 C63 AMG
2007 AM Vanquish S
1977 911 Carrera 3.0 Targa Sport
1968 Alfa Romeo GT Junior race car

Post #411540 31st Oct 2016 8:44am
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

double post!

Post #411541 31st Oct 2016 8:45am
Kam

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

The signature sound system is outstanding, probably the best 'standard' system I have heard in any car. Just make sure you put the fader to the rear a few notches & enjoy! Oh & I'd heartily recommend the V8, but that's just me.

Post #411753 1st Nov 2016 7:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>