Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Key won't turn in ignition fix 2002-2005
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Forgot to put this, these were the faults showing with my column, as read by an IID tool

SCLM-Steering Lock

0x1A Locking plate motor fault when unlocking
0x1C Unlocking error
0x17 Locking operation error
0x45 Rotation detection sensor short to battery
0x2A Locking plate motor fault when locking Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #412839 9th Nov 2016 8:36pm
AusRR

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Heylands thanks so much for looking into this, you are a legend~!

Im getting the following faults from the interlock module:

locking error
steering magnet fault
locking plate motor fault wen locking
locking operation error

I have a switch wired up to fuse 18 which allows me to start the vehicle but this isnt ideal. Ive ordered a magnet to replace the locking solenoid as I thought that would be a good place to start but im interested in the ELV emulator... would that replace the PCB board? I just cant see where the solenoid would plug into on the ELV emulator

Is there a good guide on how to get to the aluminium housing that contains all the goodies? Do you have to remove the steering column to drill out the 6 small roll pins?

Post #427533 13th Feb 2017 3:06am
Haylands

To get to the six roll pins you have to remove the whole column from the FF

If you use the emulator you just remove the shroud, unplug the steering column and plug in the new bit... job done, nothing else plugs into it as that is the idea, the electro mechanical bits are taken out of the equation...

You have to make sure the steering lock is off when you unplug it and I'd only do it if your lock comes off and you can start the FF, if you can then the solenoid which locks the steering lock OFF is working and engaged to prevent the lock from coming back on..

Basically an electric motor turns off the lock then the solenoid throws a hardened steel bolt into a hole to prevent the electric motor throwing a wobbly and locking the column... both these things have to happen and are confirmed by internal hall effect sensors, when the lock is off and the pin in place the immobiliser will allow the engine to start, so if you can get to that stage and start the car, without using the "pull the fuse" trick, then leave it running and remove the plug from the steering column and plug in the emulator, you are then assured the steering lock will stay off for ever more. The default position of the solenoid is to lock the column in the OFF position...

If you can't get the FF to start without the fuse trick then personally I would remove the column and confirm that the lock is OFF and the bolt is set but the risk is up to you...

If it's done as I said above then it cannot come back on without power being sent to it and you have unplugged it so that can't happen...

I hope that makes sense.... Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold

Post #427551 13th Feb 2017 11:02am
AusRR

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Thanks Haylands, I think I understand it the system better now

For completeness, how does the fuse trick bypass the security checks? Wouldn't my solenoid be stuck in the off position for the fuse trick to work? (My key will not turn without the fuse trick)

just trying to understand the risk of not removing the column and plugging in the emulator

Post #427655 13th Feb 2017 11:16pm
Haylands

You're lucky and yours is failing in the unlocked position, the immobiliser has to get a lock signal, then an unlock signal then a lock signal etc etc.. if it doesn't it won't start the car, yours is getting an unlock signal but not a lock signal, when you trip fuse 18 you restart the procedure so it works with just a lock signal and it forgets it didn't get a lock signal last time...

See really straightforward... Rolling Eyes

Do something quick because if it does lock and gets stuck there then you won't be able to start it even when you do trip fuse 18... It usually takes a few months for this to happen but everyone I have read about who did the fuse 18 trick ran into trouble after a period of time... It is not a permanent fix... Thumbs Up Pete

Post #427662 13th Feb 2017 11:35pm
markagj

United Kingdom 

Hi all,

My cousin has this problem beginning to develope in his car (2004 l322 petrol vCool and has asked me to look into it for him. Shocked

I have been in touch with the gent in California (i think) and got prices for a replacement column, shipping etc, which amounts to about £1400.....Having probably exhausted that avenue, i have now come across this excellent guide on where the problems seem to lie with these columns and am considering taking it out to try and determine if the issues mentioned in this guide are what's going wrong with it.

My question is, how to remove the column from the car? i can't find any removal methods in Rave, as mentioned at the start of this thread, or am i just looking in the wrong place?

I would very much appreciate pointing in the direction of a how to, if one exists.

Thanks,

Mark.

Post #430439 8th Mar 2017 11:15am
smiler289

United Kingdom 

Do you have to remove the steering column to fit the emulator? Or can it be mounted outside of the column and then you plug in the wiring loom which is positioned at the front bottom right of the steering wheel?

Post #437080 4th May 2017 7:28pm
Haylands

Download Rave to get info on removing the column, it's not too bad with the right tools to reach the four bolts holding it on, if one is rounded off like mine were it's lower dash out...

smiler289 - James, for others benefit, no you don't have to remove it to fit the emulator...

James messaged me to say he bought an emulator and fitted it, his key will turn but his FF will not start, he contacted the seller who said this...

"HINT - if key turns, but there is no start allowed: find wire directly coming from EWS to ESL (P/N signal, wired through ESL) and short it to +12v. Or recode EWS to ignore this wire (on most cars it is ignored by default)."

EWS is immobiliser and ESL is electric steering lock, we presume P/N is park neutral switch but I thought that went to the gearbox ECU and not the immobiliser...!!!!

Anyone tried this or got an emulator to work.... or can programme a EWS to ignore it...?????

Cheers Pete

Post #439789 27th May 2017 3:21pm
themule

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zambezi Silver

Has anyone on here purchased this emulator and if so does it work? I have a 2007 (new dash) but I'm not sure if this will fit or not. Andy

Post #440536 3rd Jun 2017 5:45pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

before you chuck money at this issue

try this

http://l322rangerover.blogspot.co.uk/2017/...eaded.html

may save you a few bob Very Happy

Post #440540 3rd Jun 2017 6:37pm
Haylands

AFAIK the later non BMW cars are different, that link is interesting and great for 2007 on cars but the earlier ones have a hall effect sensor in the solenoid that sends a canbus signal when the lock is open or closed, this determines if the car will start or not, I "believe" the later ones didn't have this and that is why it is easy to sort....

themule, hopefully you don't have an earlier column and the fix in the link will work... the emulator doesn't seem like the holy grail I thought it was, smiler289 is having issues with it and I haven't heard of anyone else who has used it..... Pete

Post #440587 4th Jun 2017 10:37am
dingg1

I had the same issue on mine (2007) and followed the advice to drill into the casting as shown here

https://blackbox-solutions.com/photos/L322lock.pdf

lubed up with lots of silicone and its been problem free for over 6 months now

Post #440591 4th Jun 2017 10:51am
Haylands

You are not lubricating something that has dried up and was lubricated before, the magnet (which looks like a ring donut) on the solenoid has snapped in half as it gets hit every time the solenoid operates, the magnet then moves apart and rubs on the internal casing of the solenoid, this scores the "bore" it runs in and seizes up, the WD40 allows it to slide up and down better, it will last for a time but eventually the magnet will come apart totally and fall out or totally jam it up...

The magnets are available and you can fit a new one if/when it finally fails... Thumbs Up

Make sure you drill the hole in the correct place, you don't have to be far out to wreck the electronics in there... Whistle Pete

Post #440606 4th Jun 2017 12:33pm
dingg1

thats handy to know

where can the magnets be got from ?

be useful to have a link - just in case it gives up totally

Thumbs Up

Post #440617 4th Jun 2017 1:27pm
Haylands

Unfortunately, the info on them and the American suppliers details were lost when my last laptop died, was about the only info I lost as I did back it up regularly...

I bought 10, I have 5 left if you want them, think they worked out at £2 each, I haven't got time to post them off separately so if you want them it's a tenner for the lot...

They are very strong magnets, don't let them near your phone or credit cards...!!!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Pete

Post #440622 4th Jun 2017 1:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>