Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > twin subwoofer upgrade project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black
twin subwoofer upgrade project

Hi All

I have decided i would like to upgrade the twin subwoofers in my 2003 L322. There is nothing wrong with my original setup however have had the car for 7 years now and i do like to have my music quite loud and i do notice that the factory subs do struggle sometimes on the more bass heavy music. The rest of the system is in my opinion fantastic for a OEM setup. There is plenty of range in the sound and the system can be turned up incredibly loud with no distortion whats so ever.

I want to keep the system as OEM as possible and there can be no indication that the system has been changed (apart from the higher bass quality of course)

Because i am really OCD about keeping things as original as i can i have purchased another twin sub unit just in case i change my mine in the end i can put it all back to how it was originally.

In my research i have found the specs for the factory DSP amp which shows it is a 390 watt 14 channel amplifier. The twin subs are powered by 4 independent channels as the original subs are actually dual voice coil speakers combining a sub and mid-bass speaker in one (x2)

Question is, has anyone else upgraded the factory units but kept the original housing? I have been looking at the JL Audio 6W3v3 subwoofers which look interesting.

Ideas and advice welcome.

Thanks
Matt Current
2012 Range Rover 5.0L SC Ultimate Edition
2012 Range Rover 4.4L TDV8 Autobiography
2010 Range Rover 3.6L TDV8 Autobiography
2003 Range Rover 4.4L V8 Bespoke Vehicle

Inventor of the retro fit paddle shift and many other modifications.
Creator of the custom 2010+ RR MK4 splash screen.
Creator of the Range Rover CarPC and lots more!

Founder of Range Rover Owner
rangeroverowner.com | Facebook.com/RangeRoverOwner | Latest Videos ➞ YouTube.com/RangeRoverOwner

Post #413271 12th Nov 2016 8:50pm
builder1966

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

sorry cant help but I hope you find a solution then I can play pinball wizard as it should be bloody loud !!!!!!!

Post #413324 13th Nov 2016 1:33am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

oK, I looked at this when I had my 07 VSE. That had the Harmon Kardon premium version of the audio. The main issue was the volume of the enclosure which was nowhere near enough to get the real low frequencies without porting it.

I looked at making 2 new enclosures, one for each side of the car, and fitting a pair of 12 inch JL Audio subs driven off a Genesis mono block amp. The issue comes when trying to get a box shape with enough volume. Leaving them as free air would mean they are effectively baffled by the outside panels so there would be a lot of harmonics Going on and potential panel distortion.

JL do publish the Thiele-Small parameters for their units so you can calculate it for yourself. You'll find that an 8 inch is about all you have room for on each side of the car.

Also worth checking out Talk Stuff forums. Lots of this kind of thing there including advice on different subs which don't need so much box volume. I recall the 10 inch Rockford is such a sub but it's a bitch of a load for standard amps dropping below one ohm at some frequencies. That would need one helluva amp, something like a Power 1000 for a pair..

Edit. Just a thought.
Hybrid Audio make a Clarus sub. 12 inch with dual 2 ohm voice coils. Works well with Infiniti baffle so you just need a substantial mount board and a truckload of dynamat for the inside of the rear quarter panels.

Post #413334 13th Nov 2016 3:01am
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

Thanks for your reply, I'm not looking at making the car some type of gangster mobile, just want to enhance the level of bass to what is already a fantastic system. The DSP system is Harmon Kardon or sonthe speakers are labelled as such. I'm not wanting to fit subs in both side, just want to keep it all in the factory location. I calculated that the factory enclosure has around 24.85L of volume (very rough estimate) and has foam insulation inside the unit. The 6W3v3 subs look like they would be a simple mod to get them to fit, just need to work out if the enclosure is "too" big as each sub requires 4.2L of volume. The factory enclose could possibly be modified to fit either a 10 or 12" sub if it would sound better in the enclosure.

Matt Current
2012 Range Rover 5.0L SC Ultimate Edition
2012 Range Rover 4.4L TDV8 Autobiography
2010 Range Rover 3.6L TDV8 Autobiography
2003 Range Rover 4.4L V8 Bespoke Vehicle

Inventor of the retro fit paddle shift and many other modifications.
Creator of the custom 2010+ RR MK4 splash screen.
Creator of the Range Rover CarPC and lots more!

Founder of Range Rover Owner
rangeroverowner.com | Facebook.com/RangeRoverOwner | Latest Videos ➞ YouTube.com/RangeRoverOwner

Post #413343 13th Nov 2016 9:34am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

If it's deep bass you want then a larger cone is the order of the day. OK it's a loose generalisation but the bigger subs play lower frequencies better for the most part. Bass is about moving air so more surface area on the cone is a good thing.

The foam only damps out resonances, it doesn't affect the box volume. If you can find something suitable a pair of 10's will be better, especially if they are rated for infinite baffle. I would look at a Rockford Fosgate unit and stick the TS parameters into a calculator. Pop in the frequency you want them tunes to (suggest 30 - 35 Hz initially) and see what comes out.

As for an amp which will cope well, either a Genesis dual mono or a Rockford Fosgate Punch 150. Both will take a high level input.

BTW. Sound quality doesn't equal "Gangsta" Thumbs Up

Post #413349 13th Nov 2016 10:00am
Danwilderspin

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Matt - take a look at my post re sub upgrade...

Post #413969 16th Nov 2016 5:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1