Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > RR Thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
cliff5.0sc

in my reading the td6 is ok but the tranny is terrible. The zf 6 speed and electronic lockers are excellent. People seem to love the tdv8. I would get the tdv8 if you want but the gas v8s in 06-09 are excellent too. The interior is redone and is tougher and more modern. I would also suggest finding one with a rear electronic locker. The step up is worth it. 07-09 are the most reliable l322s you can buy. OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #416461 3rd Dec 2016 5:20pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle cliff5.0sc I Wouldn't disagree with what you have said, the TD6 really does have a terrible tranny, and the ZF gearboxes that were fitted to the petrol and TDV8 range were much better... but better comes at a bigger price Thumbs Up

rar110 I haven't come across a TD6 with anything other than a GM 5L40E, if you say that you know of a TD6 with a 6 speed ZF in it, I would love to know more... I suspect that it's an after market conversion... why they never went the whole hog and fitted a 2 speed transfer box is a puzzlement, as I would have thought that was the easy bit... Please Please tell more Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #416581 4th Dec 2016 4:23pm
builder1966

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

same here love to know if a conversion is available if so id book mine in straight away forsure

Post #416583 4th Dec 2016 4:29pm
Joe90

England 

@ miggit

rar110 said the 6 speed was fitted in the X5, no mention of an FFRR Very Happy .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #416600 4th Dec 2016 5:57pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

As Joe said only in the X5, and only single range transfer. Some here have been looking at this motor tranny combo to get a solution to the GM tranny. Being a single range transfer, a straight swap is not a solution. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #416638 4th Dec 2016 7:59pm
builder1966

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

so as http://bb4wa.com/simply-put-4x4-transfer-case/ says is it possible to change td6 transmission if so what would be difference of single to two speed transfer box ?

Post #416645 4th Dec 2016 8:19pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I'm sure someone will work it out eventually. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #416655 4th Dec 2016 8:39pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Right the facts as I know them... the Range Rover TD6 was saddled with the feeble GM 5L40E and a 2 speed transfer box, the X5 was also give the feeble GM 5L40E box but a single speed transfer box, as they were never intended to go offroad.... The later X5's were given a much higher output engine and as a result they also got the ZF 6 speed gearbox... not because it was better, more like it could take the power and the GM couldn't.

Unfortunately the X5 upgrade to 6 speed gearbox happened after BMW got shot of Land Rover, and they changed the programming language that they used, so while it is physically possible to bolt a 6 speed ZF in to a ffrr, it will not talk to the ffrr's ECU's, and as everything is integrated you'll end up with a nice ornament for the driveway.... If BMW hadn't gone to CanBus2 then it may well have been possible.. as far as the 2 speed transfer box goes there must be a whole raft of possible donors that will fit... there are only 2 factories making them Whistle and the ZF will have the short output shaft that is needed for a transfer box. Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #416750 5th Dec 2016 3:33pm
cliff5.0sc

From my understanding reading rrphill's great write ups is that the zf 6 speed is revolutionary design difference with far less parts that is far more reliable. The inventor behind the zf 6, retired then protected the design and sold it to zf as far as i understand.

I dont know why bmw decides to do things, though I have been told they essentially stopped devlopment beyond the "minimum" into the l322 at some point because they knew they wouldn't own it. They could have easily fitted the zf 6 at launch I was told. I think it would be disengenious to suggest the zf 6 isn't better more modern and more reliable... the whole running gear is better imo. OffRoadRover.com An American Western Range Rover Off Road Blog

Post #416791 5th Dec 2016 9:36pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Yes the ZF is a better gearbox, but it wont play with the TD6 ECU's Big Cry Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #416827 6th Dec 2016 8:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12