Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Timing TDV8 Engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
theanswers

Ireland 
Timing TDV8 Engine

Hello Everyone. I'm currently rebuilding my engine in my TDV8 as the EGR failed and damaged two pistons in the process. I've another thread open, however I would like to confirm some things regarding how to the set the timing.

I never removed the LH bank from the vehicle and left the chain attached. When I lock this using the special tool, I can then insert the pin into the engine block. To me this is the point whereby 2/ of 3 parts of the engine is timed.

When I installed the new head on the RH side we were unable to attach the chain (with tentioner removed)unless with didn't have the cam in it's final position. We had to attached the chain an then place the special tool onto the head to ensure the correct position. Is this the correct method?

However, even though both heads and block started in the same position, we discovered that after one revolution of the crankshaft the engine heads were no longer identical. It was my understanding that both these sides have to the same position 12 O Clock (Kinda of like a mirror). What could we be doing wrong. We hand't tighten the tentioner, and perhaps this was the cause of the issue. We are only learning - anyways no harm done, we just have to repeat the process.

Should both heads be at the 12 o Clock position at the same time? Could the chain be forward 1 tooth and therefore effecting the timing?

Really can't see anything else we are doing wrong. If someone was able to offer advice or even chat quickly on the phone we'd really appreciate it! We've come this far and I believe the hardest part is over! Thanks in advance.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #414567 20th Nov 2016 8:55pm
SveinHa

Norway 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Cam is running with half the speed of the crank so after ONE revolution of the crank, the cams SHOULD be in a different position.

TWO crank revolutions give ONE cam rev. Always important to turn the engine AT LEAST two revolutions by hand after this kind of work, you feel quite easily if something is dead wrong. "Plentraktoren/Garden tractor": 2008 L322 TDV8
"Project": 1990 90 County 300tdi

Post #414611 21st Nov 2016 8:13am
theanswers

Ireland 

Perhaps we rotated more than one revolution. Didn't feel any resistance, nor did we force anything!! None the less, the point whereby we checked both cylinder heads was whereby the special tools fit into their respective places on both the blocks and head. As this was our starting point for timing the RH head, I feel she is not correctly timed.

I think at this point they should mirror each another. I'm thinking it was due to poor tention.

Post #414624 21st Nov 2016 10:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1