Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Range Dog, My 1996 Range Rover P38 4.6 HSE ongoing project
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
green-oval-nut

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Stornoway Grey
Range Dog, My 1996 Range Rover P38 4.6 HSE ongoing project

I have had this Range Rover since the end of June 2016, but only had it on the road since the 22nd September 2016. I wasn't sure weather to post about it on here, but I have seen other P38's and even Classic Range Rovers being discussed.

It started life as an Epsom Green HSE Auto 4.6 Gems Range Rover and in its life time has evolved into what it is now. It was bought by 1 of my friends between 3 and 4 years ago and was involved in attempting to save my life in what was a serious off road accident to me due to my disabilities, my 1st friend then put it up for sale as spares or repairs cheap and I desperately wanted to buy it, but I couldn't afford to own it or insure it at the time and was delighted when another friend of mine took Range Dog on, he had lots of issues with it and did lots of repairs, and owned it for about 2 years I believe before putting it for sale after doing the repairs and putting a new MOT on it. This is when it ended up with me.

I have done the London 2 Brighton Charity run in it and some personal errands but then it became extremely unreliable.

Range Dog has a starting issue from hot and cold, It went into a garage who look after my cars and they seemed to manage to fix it after finding 1 of the spark plugs was cross threaded, another wasn't screwed up, manifold is cracked, exhaust is blowing and air pipes were broken. It was with the garage for 3 weeks, this was A. Because they were busy and B. Because I told them not to prioritize my car as I wasn't my daily driver. However it came back and was starting first time every time, had a little more power behind it and was driving fine for the day that I picked it up, It got parked up and left for about 8 hours, I came back to it, it started from cold perfectly, I drove it to the garage and back to give my other half a lift to collect our Mondeo as that went in for new front brakes, then both my Range Rovers were parked up for 2 days. I went to go out in Range Dog as Range Dog was meant to be my daily driver for a couple of months starting this month, and it would not start, back to the old symptoms, Cranking over, occasionally trying to fire up but nothing more. I could smell the petrol so know I flooded the engine, left it about 10 minutes, tried to start it again and still the same problem, so Range Dog got sworn at, I was hungry and was actually heading out to pick up some lunch and ended up taking my other Range Rover.

Range Dog has has had new spark plugs fitted, I know it needs a half shaft on the drivers rear side, I have upgraded the indicators on the front to clear ones after the orange passenger indicator fell out while I was driving and I accidentally ran it over. I have also fitted a flyeyes kit to a spare set of rear lights which I have yet to fit.

Despite the issues I am having with Range Dog, I adore it and my other Range Rover too. I am a green oval and blue oval fan.

Range Dog has the following faults:

Slow battery drain - RF receiver at fault.
OSR Half Shaft
Windows do not work - Switch pack tested on another P38 and worked perfectly.
Radio display has gone so I cannot put the code in, so I have no radio.
One of the belts has started aqueeking even though it is quite new.
LPG that is fitted is not currently connected - Stepper valve needs refitting professionally.

It has a coil spring conversion with a lift kit fitted, Roof rack bolted to it which I intend on modifying to make it shorter as it looks like an upside down sledge lol, It has been painted satin black with hammerite paint by one of the previous owners. 1 side is peeling badly, and I was going to put it back to factory paint, but for now I am not bothering. I have torn out the roof lining material and will be painting the hard bit next summer. And I want to decat and fit a straight through exhaust with an aftermarket backbox. And Range Dog has covered 162000 Miles which I think is good for its age.

I will stop rambling now. Meet Range Dog:

Range dog will be going back into the garage very soon to have both the crank and cam sensors replaced in hopes that that will solve the non starting issue.

Post #414607 21st Nov 2016 2:38am
Mulcher

England 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2006MY 4.2 SC
BMW R1250 GSA Rallye TE
Triumph Tiger 1050 (sold)
1979 Pontiac Trans Am (sold)

Post #414619 21st Nov 2016 10:00am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Blimey, can see why you call it a dog, seen better ones in the scrap yard...!!! Bow down Whistle

Still, gives you something to do between fixing the 322.... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Is this some sort of self flagellation..... Question Question Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #414636 21st Nov 2016 1:46pm
green-oval-nut

It is what it is. Was actually pretty reliable before the non starting issue and still very comfy. I love this motor. But sadly the L322 has more wrong with it than this one. This one probably needs a couple of hundred spending on it, and the L322 needs over £3500 lol.

This one was bought so that I could go down the byways and not have to cringe every time I hear the screeching sounds of the paintwork getting damaged lol

Not that I have been able to take it laning yet.

Post #414706 21st Nov 2016 9:02pm
green-oval-nut

Range Dog is back in the garage. Found out that the starting fault it had is down to the fusebox melting itself slowly.

So it is getting a new fusebox as well as the exhaust is being custom repaired and built.

Then it is onto the L322 to be repaired. Getting there slowly.

Post #416159 1st Dec 2016 3:17pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

i had a few p38, and boy they do keep the toolbox busy! those fuseboxes bake themselves dry, and go brittle, -remember to keep a door open, as the car tends to try and lock it self, with keys inside. when you repower, and then tries to do the keycode lockout. AAARRRGGH.
those p38's had so many hard to remedy faults, like the pourous block, the battery driain, electrical BECM probs, -although i loved driving it, it was an enthusiasts car. I assume yours is a v8, as you have a huge barrel of water in the boot! and it looks like your jetwashing, has taken the laquer offf!

moving up to the l322 was a breath of fresh air. even though i bought mine as a non runner, as thats how most people buy a range rover.... ie it comes with a few faults, that manifest themselves. mine was obvious. (timing chain)

have you managed to open the door yet, (p38) and NOT hear beep-beep-beep?

thing is now, a real nice one is quite cheap, so having a rough one, is just.......... well, 'choice'! Shocked

like this one with the typical faults, but smart looking, and only £375
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-P38-...7675.l2557

Post #416284 2nd Dec 2016 1:25pm
green-oval-nut

I didn't need a 2nd nice car, I wanted something that I could take down byways and to off road sites that I wouldn't cringe every time I heard a bang or a screeching sound from hedges scraping down the paintwork etc... I would never take the L322 down a byway Rolling with laughter

Luckily mine doesn't have a becm fault and the fusebox issue can't be too bad if it has lasted 20 years already, so I can live with the £126 I have just forked out for the brand new genuine LR one I just bought. And never known my Range Rover not to come up with a string of error messages lol, it moans about all the windows and the sunroof lol and traction fault lol. But owning anything with the green oval badge on it will always be an expensive labour of love. And I am clearly gluten for punishment. I am supposed to be selling Range Dog in June as I told my other half I would only keep it for a year, but I am more likely going to put it on a multi car or classic car policy and keep it as long as the head gaskets don't go or the lining doesn't slip.

Post #416292 2nd Dec 2016 2:10pm
green-oval-nut

This little beasty has still not come home Sad Due to complications with the exhaust system and the garage getting snowed under. But the final part to get it back on the road is being collected on Saturday, then I am delivering it to the garage on Monday. Fingers crossed that by Wednesday next week, I will have my P38 back. As for the L322, I have no idea what is going to happen with that right now. It may just come off the road temporarily.

Post #421200 5th Jan 2017 12:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1