Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 4.2SC 10% pulley
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
kyle h.

United States 2006 Range Rover Westminster 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
4.2SC 10% pulley

Just finished up installing a 10% pulley. Initial impressions are like everyone else - feels smoother/lighter/less sluggish. Never really though I could describe this vehicle as sluggish Smile

I haven't ran out the rpms yet but it jumps right to 10psi on my gauge vice 8 before. Not sure if the gauge is accurate or not.

Post #414839 22nd Nov 2016 8:44pm
verydisco

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tangiers Orange

Cool, did you get pics of the install or of the parts please?

Tx l=Oo\________/oO=l l:OolΞΞΞΞΞΞΞloO:l

Current
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L SDV8 - 2013 - Indus Silver, on Almond.
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L V8 - 2002 - ex-2003 G4 Challenge Event Vehicle, Stage 3: Australia
RANGE ROVER HSE 4.4L V8 - 2004 - one-of-one Overfinch
RANGE ROVER P38a 4.0L V8 - 1999 - ex-2000 TReK Event Vehicle: South Africa

Previous:
RANGE ROVER Vogue 4.4L TDV8 - 2012 - RANGE ROVER 3.6L TDV8 x3 - RANGE ROVER Td6 x1 - RANGE ROVER Classic 3.5L V8 x1

Post #414861 22nd Nov 2016 10:48pm
JPHC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Was it difficult to fit? Did you just buy the bigger pulley or the whole snout with the pulley fitted?

Believe the snout needs lathing down for it to fit correctly, doesn't it? Jordan

'56 SC 4.2 ‘21-Current
'56 SC 4.2 ‘16-‘18

Post #414913 23rd Nov 2016 1:36pm
vnitos

South Africa 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Kyle can i assume that it was the 10% reduction pulley - who did it for you. Did you have it remapped; who did the remap? Please let us know about the numbers i.e. 0-60mph, power, torque, etc.

Post #414977 23rd Nov 2016 7:03pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

.................. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Last edited by stan on 16th Feb 2017 11:38am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #414978 23rd Nov 2016 7:09pm
Riedland

France 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

JPHC wrote:
Was it difficult to fit? Did you just buy the bigger pulley or the whole snout with the pulley fitted?

Believe the snout needs lathing down for it to fit correctly, doesn't it?

According to Ebay's selllers you're right :

"This ad is for a 10% uprated supercharger pulley for the supercharged 4.2 V8 Range Rover Sport.

These pulleys are CNC machined, and produced to the highest dimensional tolerances and surface finish standard of any on the market, and made from high grade stainless steel which retains its superb finish after heating and fitting, unlike far cheaper mild steel items.

Supercharger pulley upgrades are not only the most proven, but the best value performance enhancements available for your Jaguar supercharged engine in terms of £/bhp - by a country mile! Changing the pulley ratio results in the supercharger working at a higher speed and producing more boost. Because this just directly increases airflow through the car’s existing sensors, the ECU is kept aware of the increased flow and no further alterations or remapping are necessary.

Boost & Power Increase -

This modification gives a 10% supercharger driven speed increase, which equates to about a 2.5psi boost pressure increase (this is the pulley size which requires material removal from the supercharger nose, please see our other ads if you prefer the simpler job of fitting the 6% pulley option).

These upgrades have been fitted now to many cars and discussion on forums and bar stools usually refer to a 35-40bhp gain from this size of pulley modification. That is true for the midrange gain, though the Eaton M112 supercharger becomes less efficient at high rpm so actual peak power gain may realistically be about 10bhp. Irrespective of the increase tailing off a little towards redline, this modification gives a HUGE increase in instant grunt and acceleration which really does transform the car.

In some cases, belt slippage has been reported when using smaller upper pulleys but this is attributable to some manufacturers taking a cheap route and using aluminium alloy, which loses friction when hot, to make the pulleys. Our high grade stainless steel pulleys do not suffer from this problem." Current:
- L322 2006 S/C lpg
- RRC 1988 lpg / 287 000 miles
- Stage one 1981
- Lightweight 1976
- 109 SW 1968 under rebuilt

Gone: none

Post #415033 23rd Nov 2016 10:25pm
JPHC

This is a wealth of info on the subject:

http://powerhouse.uk/content/jaguar-perfor...ulleys.php

I've been considering this upgrade for a while. It has great power to £ ration in my eyes. I initially wanted the 6% pulley which they do for around £160. Apparently you can slacken the belt, pull the pulley off and fit a new 6% one yourself without too much hassle. All you need is a bearing puller or something similar to get the pulley off, which can be a job (who knows until you do it!)

But for the same price you can get the 10% pulley, which is just a little too tempting! but as above, the end of the snout needs lathing. I believe powerhouse provide a service where they send you a refurbed snout, with the lathed end and the pulley already professionally fitted and then all you have to do it swap the snout's over and send them your old one back.
I believe this is around £200, so a cheap option too. However i think i would want to keep the original parts incase i ever wanted to go back. Plus i've really no idea how difficult it is to gain access to this and swap it.

Perhaps someone here has done one of these mods and could chime in?

I will contact them and ask about the fitting process and report back.

6%
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-4-2-...SwcLxYJLE2

10%
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-4-2-...Yjo6oQhw8w Jordan

'56 SC 4.2 ‘21-Current
'56 SC 4.2 ‘16-‘18

Post #415124 24th Nov 2016 1:43pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

My 4.2 has had the 10% pulley mod, coupled to a remap and improved air filter, for 3 years and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Low-end response and flexibility is significantly improved and in-gear response at pretty much any speed in any gear in almost instantaneous compared to how they are when standard.

They're not infallible and I occasionally find myself wanting even more power. I have a car that is even quicker in response and another that has more alacrity at higher rpm, but that's modern engines and the RR's bulk taking hold on both counts.

Economy hasn't suffered and you'll enjoy the relative delights of trickling along on a thimble-full of throttle at low-ish speeds and then gaining speed effortlessly with a twitch of your right ankle.

RPI Engineering do a lovely-sounding exhaust for these that keeps the twin rear pipes but with a burble to die for. It's massively tempting, but there's something rather classy about the SC's restrained woofling. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #415130 24th Nov 2016 2:19pm
JPHC

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The butchering of the original pulley seems mad! But apart from that it seems like a relatively easy job...Wonder how a 10% would run on a standard map...Hmm

Original PDF here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9-oIy1D3Z-1ZkZKV3NLb3BkMVU Jordan

'56 SC 4.2 ‘21-Current
'56 SC 4.2 ‘16-‘18

Post #415134 24th Nov 2016 3:07pm
kyle h.

I fitteded myself over the course of 4 days including waiting for parts and installing a new main drive belt and idler/tensioner pulleys. However the main drive stuff took less than 60 minutes after exposing everything that far. The fan + fan shroud was the most annoying to remove. You'll have to manipulate the upper AC line or remove it like the manual states. The pulley puller I bought required me to remove the odd jaguar water outlet/thermostat housing - so I needed some suppose seals that took me a day to track down due to doing it over the weekend. I bought the pulley on eBay for pretty cheap, someone else that bought but never installed. I 'rented' the snout machining tool from eBay as well for ~$50 US, the seller was 'local' to my area of the US.

I've done no other tuning aside from making my own intake tube to remove all the baffles in OE one.

before starting.

Click image to enlarge

water pipe removed and pulley fitted.

pulley removed!

snout milling.

pulley installed.

pulley installed w/ belt.

waiting for parts - sorry rotate through the gallery is not working?

all finished.

Last edited by kyle h. on 29th Nov 2016 6:02pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #415669 28th Nov 2016 1:36am
JPHC

Kyle,

Fantastic info thanks.

I spoke again, to PowerHouse. They confirmed that the only difference in fitting the 10% and 6% is the lathing of the snout.
So seems mad to go to all that work and not go the extra mile and trim the snout and fit the 10%. A big job regardless.

They mentioned that a normal bearing puller simply isn't up to the job and that you need something that can distribute the load round the circumference of the old pulley. The pulling tool they have looks similar in design to yours:

Where did you get yours from?

Definitely seems like a job for next summer Thumbs Up Jordan

'56 SC 4.2 ‘21-Current
'56 SC 4.2 ‘16-‘18

Post #415812 29th Nov 2016 2:49pm
kyle h.

Ok, i got the pictures organized better now. I had originally uploaded them with my phone. Tried rotating some of them but gave up.

After doing a 8 hour round trip this past weekend it seems like something pulls boost or belt slips? If I mash pedal to the floor and wind out the rpms in the lower gears, boost will go up to 10psi on my gauge and then back off to 8psi - not sure I can really feel this in the power band. Also thought the supercharger bypass was all mechanical - so drop in pressure would indicate....belt slip? It's on there pretty tight so I don't really know or understand yet. Need to drive it more and research the bypass valve a bit.

Also notice that if I just ease into the throttle to 80% or so, the boost holds 10psi without dropping.

In general, before the pulley this truck just feels weird if you go straight to full throttle vs easing into it. Maybe trans computer protecting things?

Oh, also you can prevent removing the water pipe if you use a tool designed like this:

Click image to enlarge

https://www.google.com/search?q=u+shaped+s...sQ_AUIBygC

And with the proper milling tool like I used, the 10% is easy and even more fun to install I'd argue. I hand turned the milling tool and it took me about 60 minutes to cut all the aluminum.

Post #415833 29th Nov 2016 6:08pm
Jcmitch3

United States 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Would love more info on the tool used for the milling.....

Post #416314 2nd Dec 2016 4:45pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I've read somewhere that when you change the pulley on the SC and get towards the top of the power band the Supercharger is at it's peak before you get to full rpm, if you go a bit above it you do loose a bit of boost so that could be your problem.

If it's driving properly I wouldn't worry about it to much.

Enjoy it Thumbs Up

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #416334 2nd Dec 2016 6:34pm
kyle h.

Machining tool I used was this one:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Snout-Machining-Tool...Ciid%253A2

Post #416521 3rd Dec 2016 11:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top