Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > New Member Saying Hello and There Really Is Too much Choice.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SS.Lyria

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Loire Blue
New Member Saying Hello and There Really Is Too much Choice.

Looking to get back into RR ownership but seem to be struggling which model to choose!!

Brief history, owned a few classics, petrol was virtually the only option available. Owned a few P38's, hated the diesel variation of that, again petrol was the simple choice. Then moved to a D3 where petrol variants were limited so opted for diesel. Then a D4 where diesel was the only choice.

Then ventured into the dark side and bought a Shogun Censored Got it for a song, 5 year warranty and 3 years free servicing and most un-Landroverish, it's never missed a beat. The only problem is I don't like it.

Run it past SWMBO who is up for the change (don't think she really likes it either) but I'm only allowed to spend what I recoup from the Shogun. Not so bad because WBAC have valued it much higher than I'd imagined. Only 3k depreciation in 8 months of ownership, admittedly from my highly discounted price.

Anyway this has opened up far more choice in the FFRR sweetie shop than I'd imagined. With pretty much every variant available. Some very nice examples are out there with the only slight draw back that on my budget the 5.0s/c and TDV8 4.4 are slightly higher in miles, but in no way high enough not to consider.

Taking the blinkers off and for those of you out there that have owned the different variants, what would be your 1st choice of FFRR. Please help, there really is too much choice!!

Post #416240 1st Dec 2016 10:41pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Well, I have made my choice, a 4.4 TDV8 with 82k on and I've not regretted it for a minute.

The bottom end torque is massive and the 8 speed box is sublime.... i recon its more usable on a daily basis....

....but, if you don't care about mpg the extra 200 brake is available, but where can you use it? Guess the petrol will be smoother etc.....and some say more Range Rover like...... my diesel is well fast enough though.....

Drive both mate.... then decide.....

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #416241 1st Dec 2016 11:09pm
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

If you want to show, go SC, but if you want to go, buy 4.4 TDV8 Whistle

What I mean is, whilst the 5.0 SC is undoubtedly very nice and although fuel consumption itself wouldn't have bothered me, the thought of not being able to pass a petrol station without stopping did not appeal at all.

So I bought a 4.4 TDV8 instead and echo the sentiments already put about the engine and gearbox. I would add, once you've driven one, you'll realise there is nothing agricultural about them and they are only fractionally slower to sixty than the SC BUT with the benefit of range/economy.

If I was buying just for high-days and holidays, I would have an SC but for real world driving, the TDV8 is the perfect choice.

In my opinion of course.

Post #416246 1st Dec 2016 11:49pm
SS.Lyria

Thanks for the replies.

There in lies the problem, I've had a go in a 4.2s/c and a 4.4 TDV8 and found they both generated the grin factor. If I'm honest the petrol promoted a very slightly wider grin. But derv engines have never been so good and ultimately 20's mpg will never get as tiresome as 10's. But over the years I've always found my petrol RR's less problematic than the diesel Discoverys. Nothing major on the diesels, just seemed to require more attention than the petrols, EGR's, turbos etc. Where as the petrols seemed to make do with routine servicing.

But ultimately and has been said, for day to day driving I think the TDV8 will get the nod. I think the opportunity to engage the supercharger every time you pull away would be to much to resist and although I'd probably get on my local petrol stations Christmas card list 10mpg would become a chore.

Post #416250 2nd Dec 2016 12:21am
rr driver

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8 Santorini Black

I have the 5.0Sc and love it, however i would have preferred the 4.4 but couldnt find an AB in my spec. I dont like the fact that the range is very poor, less than 250 on a full tank and around london i am looking at c8ish mpg.

On a motorway run it will go up to 16 maybe touch 18 if i am very lucky.

You cant really use the power and having driven a 4.4 they are more than capable.
My 2 pennies worth 2011 5.0SC Santorini Black
2009 5.0SC Santorti Black - Been stolen.
Had
2.5 DHSE P38
Alfa Romeo
BMW

Post #416255 2nd Dec 2016 4:15am
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

SS.Lyria wrote:
ultimately 20's mpg will never get as tiresome as 10's.

I've never seen consumption as low as that. Mid-high twenties whilst playing and over thirty is easily accomplished on a bit of a run. I'm sure I've read on here of people getting between 650 and over 700 per tank on a run.

Post #416278 2nd Dec 2016 12:54pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I've owned a 4.2SC for over 3 years and have NEVER got mine lower than 16mpg on average.

Driving into London with some motorway added in, I regularly used to return 19mpg. Longer trips yield a little more.

I've not driven a TDV8 at all and really cannot comment on them with any authority, but I adore the SC. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #416279 2nd Dec 2016 12:55pm
Clivefog

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I drove several types options etc etc..

Was about to put a payment down on a TDV8 which had all the boxes ticked when I saw an early petrol 4.4 that had just come in. It also ticked all the boxes plus a few more that I did not know I needed ticked.

As for stopping at petrol stations I do Bristol to Hartlepool and back on one tank ok it is £90-£100 to fill it up again, but I can live with that.

In hindsight I much prefer the almost silent engine over the deep throb of the Diesel.

Try a few, even identical ones are not the same!

Post #416289 2nd Dec 2016 1:58pm
davidsmith1307

United Kingdom 

I am having the same internal debate and I think petrol is the way for me after years of diesel.
Got to the point where the sound and smell of diesels (and mine is a modern one) really grates. I also think that the wind is blowing towards diesel bashing by the powers that be.
Never had LPG but I'm going to give that a go on an early V8.
I plan to keep it forever so I'll get the LPG fitted by a decent installer.

Post #416291 2nd Dec 2016 2:03pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

OK, I've had a few variants in both LR and Jag. Overall I really prefer the lighter drive of the petrol, it's quicker off the mark, no turbo lag and is generally more civilised. It also is way smoother through the first 2 or 3 gears, it seems that nobody can get that quite right with a diesel auto. It seems to be turbo lag when the engine re-applies the power after an upshift.

But, having had diesels in 3.0 (Jag) 3.6 (RR) and now 4.4 (RR) I like a couple of things about the diesels. More range on a tank - I hate the chore of filling up, much more low down grunt for towing.

Setting fuel cost aside, and there ins't that much difference overall - you'll pay more for servicing on a diesel, as a daily drive (car replacement) I'd have the petrol all day long. But, if you're ever going to tow with it then diesel is the way to go as it has masses more low down torque.

In terms of MPG, my 5.0 S/C used to return early 20's as an average, about 14 when towing. My 3.6 diesel was mid 20's average and about 18 towing. My latest 4.4 diesel is about 31 average and 22 towing.

What I would say is you could never compare the old LR V8 petrol engines to the modern ones. Those ancient things based on the Buick 3.5 block were agricultural and about as inefficient as it gets. Lots of noise, small horsepower for the capacity and lousy autoboxes which just turned horsepower into gearbox fluid heating. The 5.0 is a direct injected modern piece of engineering and coupled with a decent ZF gearbox it is massively more fuel efficient and refined. Note it can't (yet) be LPG'ed due to the direct fuel injection, if you want LPG you would need the older 4.2 S/C or 4.4 V8.

Troubles to consider.
Diesels with DPF - some have issues with them filling up.
EGR valves. Plenty of these starting to show issues on the 3.6
A number of the 3.6's have lunched on their own turbochargers
Petrols. The 4.2 S/C is fairly bulletproof having been around in Jags sine 1997 ish. The 5.0 has had a few reporting timing chain rattles (expensive fix).

If it were me, 5.0 S/C and get the best one you can find. Proper good value for money now.

Post #416299 2nd Dec 2016 2:53pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

I love my 4.4tdv8.
Last summer I had to make a trip to France at the height of fuel shortage problem.
I filled up just before the tunnel, thinking if the worst comes to be, I could just about complete my round trip of 500 miles in France then refill when I got back to UK.
I found fuel was available no problem, so topped up in le Touquet.
From there I did 625 miles before I re filled half way up the M6.( after detouring through London )
Average for full trip was over 34 mpg. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #416308 2nd Dec 2016 4:04pm
SS.Lyria

Thanks for the input and much to ponder.

Owned a Jag XJR with the 4.2s/c so know what a sweet engine that is. Often averaged mid 20's in that, but having an alloy body and being 2 wheel drive thought lower teens would be the norm in a RR.

The fuel figures being quoted are encouraging. I mainly drive a mixture of stop start and A road cruising and never manged over 30 in the Discovery's. Only used to get those figures on a steady long motorway trip.

What has surprised me is there doesn't seem to be much of a premium on the price of a TDV8 compared to a 5.0s/c. Decent examples of both seem to fetch similar money. Although older higher mileage 4.2s/c examples do seem exceptional value at the moment.

Post #416342 2nd Dec 2016 6:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1