Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 2010 - > deployable steps fitting.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
scooby1975

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

Cheers man, I’ll check it out. 👍

Post #459328 2nd Dec 2017 5:09pm
bishbosh10

United Kingdom 

Just fitted mine to a 11.5 model year. NMJ's write up was invaluable thanks! Thumbs Up

No real issues but some extra info that might help the next guy:

1. The A pillar trim "airbag" badge is hinged at the bottom edge so prise it open from the top. The screw is a T30 not 27
2. On mine the under dash trip had 5 screws not 4 Confused
3. Check check and check again the routing of your wires into and out of the fuse panel area to make sure nothing ends up the wrong side of something you can't move (ask me how I know!! Very Happy) )
4. The red grid on the back of the big blue plug in the fuse panel is a bit tricky to release. I found that a screwdriver in the end to lever it up a bit allowed me to get a fingernail under the edge. then replace the fingernail with the screwdriver and it separates easily.
5.In the roof console you need the blade of a knife to open the connector that you change a wire in.
6. When tying to replace the connector in the module behind the fuse box, study the connector that is going to replace it to understand how it releases. i found a small screwdriver will fit between the two halves and you can us that to start moving them apart whilst you depress the releasing clip.
7. There were no bolts in any of the cill holes on my car. Took me an age to find the holes - they are on the inner face of the cill. Smile for future reference!
8. If you don't have a 10mm ratchet spanner then go and buy one - it'll take you a week to do up the bolts without as access is very constricted.
9. If you are fitting them on your own I suggest only fitting one bolt at each end before lifting the step into place. Then fit the other two. Be sure to leave plenty of bolt sticking out - you need more than you'd think.

My ignition cycled a load of times but after exiting the car and locking and un locking all was well and she started.

t Bish.

2005 110 TD5 CSW
2011 TDV8 Vogue SE (gone)

Post #468031 10th Feb 2018 7:38pm
kooky_guy

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hi Macca,

Are you saying that the mysterious plugs that don't seem to have a home go into the adaptive headlight control module (if you've got one - which I assume I have), or did I misread it? I can't think of any reason why they would...

Guy 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #471338 6th Mar 2018 2:06pm
Fatfred

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

i tried for 2 hours searching for the mystery connectors, in the end i gave up, the steps work perfectly without it FF TDV8 WESTMINSTER EXTERIOR DESIGN PACK 2012

Post #471443 7th Mar 2018 8:43am
kooky_guy

Thanks for that. Perhaps I'll stop worrying about it too much then - I'm just trying to get my confidence level up before I start the job - I'm a bit nervous about getting stuck with the car in pieces (and the steps haven't even arrived yet!).

Thanks to NorthernMonkeyJones for his excellent write up and everyone else's contribution to the thread. 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #471449 7th Mar 2018 10:11am
mirras

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

Received and fitted the kit yesterday and this write-up made things so much easier, thank you. Tapping out the M8 holes was a must, couldn't get the bolts started without it.

Like some others the picture of the fuse panel showed the plugs the other way round but they are numbered and easy to work out. I also took the two bolts out the fuse panel and pulled it forward slightly to help with access to the terrain response module.

Just as I completed the wiring inside the car the heavens opened and it bucketed down. I chose to plough on and fit the steps laying in the rain. Nearside was quite simple to do with lifting it into position solo the hardest part. Then on to the drivers side.... quarter turn at a time if lucky and the ding ding ding every time the spanner hit the air bottle !!!! That was laborious and frustrating in the extreme.

However, steps are on, work a treat but the button doesn't seem to work as expected. Was too wet and tired to fiddle with it yesterday, will have a look today.

Thanks again for the great write-up and pictures.

Post #475182 8th Apr 2018 7:31am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Well done Mirras, impressed with your tenacity to stay in the rain and finish.

Quote:
...quarter turn at a time if lucky and the ding ding ding every time the spanner hit the air bottle

There were a few mentions of a ratchet ring spanner for that job. Certainly for anyone else reading this it's as essential as the tap set. I left mine loose until the next day when amazon prime brought me one.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #475194 8th Apr 2018 9:35am
mirras

There wasn't enough room to get the ratchet spanner over the end of the two offside rear bolts so it was open ended all the way... boring but doable Smile

Post #475201 8th Apr 2018 10:56am
kooky_guy

I've still got to find a slot to start doing mine! 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #475203 8th Apr 2018 11:21am
mirras

Been back out this morning and switch still not doing anything at all. Took it apart and tested it with a continuity tester and it's working fine. Must be the wiring or something else not quite right. I couldn't work out how to do the "set ignition to II and hold for 5 seconds bit" as it has a button start so I just pressed the start button without pressing the brake and held the step button in for a while. The steps operate as they should with the key and with doors opening and closing so I'm not too fussed about the button.

Post #475204 8th Apr 2018 11:27am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

oh really, I got the ratchet ring over those. that air tank is tight close huh?

re switch, it's activates and deactivates operation, not deploy / undeploy. Check the booklet. It's a disappointing switch for sure.!

Weirdly if I'm sat in the car and the stereo switches off, the steps go in and vice versa if i switch the stereo back on.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #475205 8th Apr 2018 11:43am
kooky_guy

Something I noticed in a thread on the IID tool is that there is apparently an option in the ccf for deployable side steps...?

I'm assuming that it's not needed, given that nobody has mentioned it, but just wondering what it does...? 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #475206 8th Apr 2018 12:06pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Kooky

I asked Patrick @ GAP the very same question regarding the sidesteps and the CCF file and his answer was that as the sidesteps are completely independent, any changes to the CCF in that regard will not actually do anything. Current Cars:
MY11 5.0 SC Stornoway - sold
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold
1997 BMW E36 M3 Evolution Convertible Estoril

Post #475223 8th Apr 2018 5:46pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

Hi, Mirras

I have experienced the same problem with my steps that I fitted, After double checking the wiring it still did not work to lock the steps off, but they don't deploy when in rock crawl mode I did hold for the button 5 seconds as recommended it worked but then would not unlock until I did a battery reset a couple of times, as you have said not worried about it anymore just happy to use them after having the fixed type.

Post #475229 8th Apr 2018 7:08pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I turn on ignition , open door , then press and hold step button and steps then stay out enabling them to be washed. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #475238 8th Apr 2018 8:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>