Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > ABS sensor fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mightymarcos

United Kingdom 
ABS sensor fault

I'm having some grief with my front left ABS speed sensor. This all started last week with a bong of doom followed by the three light Chirstmas tree. My IID told me the problem was with the front left wheel sensor which was reading 0kph all the time. 24 hours later, I got the wheel off to find the obvious cause - the sensor wiring had been misaligned by my local indi when a wheel bearing was changed a few months ago and had worn on the inside of the tyre. I was able to make a temporary repair by cutting the wires out of rubber surround and soldering them while a new part was delivered. All was (temporarily) well.

Now I came to fit the new sensor yesterday but the old one was a pig to remove and I ended up having to drill it out. Having cleaned up the housing and the reluctant ring, I assumed all would be well. However, on testing, I get Christmas tree again and P0500-00 wheel sensor fault.

Any clues anyone?

One thing that does seem strange is that with the new wheel sensor, having measured the depth of the reluctor ring teeth in the housing and compared it to the length of the sensor, it seems around 2mm short. I was expecting there to be only a very small air gap. Taking a rest from Land Rovers for a bit.......

Post #418823 20th Dec 2016 2:45pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

is it definitely the same sensor that you took out and put back (they are all not the same for different models and years of production)

I had an issue with a part supposedly for my car but it was the wrong sensor , ended up wildgoose chasing broken loom and all sorts only to discover the wrong sensor had been sent to me . worth double checking

Post #418843 20th Dec 2016 4:35pm
Mightymarcos

United Kingdom 

Mmmm

That would now be quite a coincidence. In desperation, tried another new sensor from Eurocarparts today which outwardly is identical to the previous new item. Both show the same symptoms.

The original item had a green plug while both replacements have blue plugs. They seem to fit OK but both throw up fault codes immediately. The IID tool throws up sensor fault P0500-00 (2F) with both replacement items. Taking a rest from Land Rovers for a bit.......

Post #418847 20th Dec 2016 4:56pm
dingg1

you have the wrong sensor IMO

check and double check the part numbers the plug should be the same colour as well - diesel and petrol cars have different part numbers .

my money is on the wrong sensor

Post #418850 20th Dec 2016 5:03pm
Mightymarcos

United Kingdom 

Thanks - I'll try that tomorrow! Any one else had this experience?

Unfortunately, I cannot read a part number on the old unit due to damage while removing. Googling the part numbers now and finding a much wider variety of part numbers than first appears" Taking a rest from Land Rovers for a bit.......

Post #418854 20th Dec 2016 5:08pm
Mightymarcos

United Kingdom 

Success - got the correct part from the main dealer this morning (£20 cheaper than pattern part from Eurocarparts and faults immediately cleared on fitting.

Many thanks to dingg1 for your Very Happy Very Happy advice, more reputable suppliers distinguish between part nos for 02-05 vs 06-09 while some claim the same part fits all. I was stupid enough to be taken in by this.

Anyway now sorted Very Happy. Merry Christmas to all on here! Taking a rest from Land Rovers for a bit.......

Post #419147 22nd Dec 2016 12:43pm
dingg1

At least you sorted it out - team valley landrover failed to diagnose the same issue on my car and charged me for diagnostics and repairs to loom (lol) still didn't discover wrong sensor fitted and then had the audacity to tell me a new abs module was needed - bunch of clowns

Merry Christmas Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #419262 23rd Dec 2016 9:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1