Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Super locked or cable snapped??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
recoverytim

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
Super locked or cable snapped??

Hi all, and seasons greetings.

My wife came to work yesterday saying she couldn't open the drivers door of our 2005MY Vogue. I did manage to open it from the inside, whipped the card and airbag off and looked in to see the knobby on the cable broken as per the common failure. I popped a section of terminal block on the end which I cut in half (stop me if I'm not explaining that bit very clearly!) and tried the handle several times and it worked- also flipped the latch with a screwdriver to make sure. Put the door card back on, opened and closed the door several times and hey presto, clever boy with a hundred brownie points!

HOWEVER... Locked and unlocked the door using central locking and the outer handle isn't working again, so went through the passenger side to open from the inside and now I can't open the f@#%*&g door at all Big Cry

I have a lock out kit from my years working car breakdown recovery but am finding it difficult slim jimming to the latch to push the release lever. Before I ask for someone to tell me the super lock 'screwdriver and hammer' method, is it likely to be super locked?

The button on the top of the door card pops up when the door is unlocked, and you can hear something happening with your ear pressed against the door when operating the fob or the key in the door... So would you chaps and chapesses suggest that I am right in assuming (and we all know that assumption is the mother of all fu.....) it is unlikely that it's super locked and the other end of the cable has gone down at the latch, or are the inner and outer handles on separate cables down to the latch? I have considerable patience, and a e-cigarette so am happy to persevere with the slim Jim fishing for a while longer if we think it's likely to get the door open and it's only a cable problem!

Many thanks for reading my overly long question, and I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts Very Happy

Regards, Tim

Post #419949 29th Dec 2016 7:08am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

have you tried the key in the lock? ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #419950 29th Dec 2016 7:49am
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

As per stan. If that fails, you may need to go the other route.
Open rear door, you will see a little black bung, remove and then you will see a allen headed bolt, a long thin screwdriver is best.
give it some lube, then try pushing it down, but be warned, this may only work once.
as I found out, really you need to have a new lock in case it does only work the once.
credit for this goes to a chap on here, I think he's from germany, but can't remember.
Water flows down the window guide and freezes the lock, but with opening and closing, it must wear something out.
I'm sure there's a good how to in the wiki.
greg.

Post #419962 29th Dec 2016 10:39am
recoverytim

Thank you guys. Yes, I've tried the key in the lock and you can hear a definite 'click' with a turn of the key and the button pops up, and likewise locking it.

I'll investigate the rubber bung thing, thanks for that. I'll also look for the wiki on how to break into your own truck!!

Had to go to work this morning and off again this afternoon before working tomorrow morning, so il try tomorrow afternoon and update if I get anywhere, or if I find any new tricks!

Cheers for now, T

Post #419979 29th Dec 2016 11:56am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

With the window down, you can put something slim into the opening, you can see the mechanism from the top, however , you would have to put a bit of pressure against the door card to see down the gap. Had to do this on my old one as the cable wasn't fitted correctly (by me!)

Post #420032 29th Dec 2016 4:45pm
recoverytim

Hi all

Door fixed! It was the outside handle cable, and it had snapped in such a way that the latch return wasn't happening in its entirety, and as a consequence wouldn't allow the unlocking mechanism to release.

I tried the Allen key head in the side of the door panel, accessed via the back door, but to no avail. I did end up pulling some trim off of the top of the door and was able to find the latch. After examining the lock pictures found on here I carefully selected a place to hit with a hammer and steel rod and the door popped open with one sharp tap.

The great news is that the lock still works, and the lock cover is still intact. So all in all it cost £23 plus Vat for a new cable and a lot of swearing!

Many thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction!

PM if you ever need to know the exact place to hit the lock to open it, and which trim to remove without the need to butcher your door card...

T

Post #421377 6th Jan 2017 8:26am
recoverytim

Hi everyone!

Me again, same cable snapped but on the passenger door this time!

So,etching which I have concluded since I had to do this repair last time is that doing a temporary repair on the cable whilst you wait for a new one to arrive is a sure fire way of having your door lock stick in place! I didn't bother with a temporary patch as the guys from parts were delivering to our industrial estate the same day and I piggy backed on that van to get the new cable quickly.

The knobble on the end of the cable is actually in a very precise place, so don't try and clamp the end of the cable as a pro-tem, as this it seems was my error with the driver's door. The passenger door would still open from the inside and being well rehearsed in taking he door card off, had the whole job done in about half an hour- didn't even have time to drink my coffee!

Hope this helps avoid the locked door syndrome I suffered!

All the best, Tim

Post #435152 17th Apr 2017 8:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1