Home > General (L405) > Hello and a Few Dog related questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RDR

United Kingdom 
Hello and a Few Dog related questions

Hello Very Happy

Im a serial Discovery owner but currently looking at options other than the D5 which I'm not so impressed with. We have dogs, one of which is a Great Dane and I wondered if anyone on here has a L405 with a Great Dane?

Height is obviously not near the D4 but after testing an XC90 T8 last week (very nice) we found once the Dane realised she couldn't stand up she seemed to get comfy quite quick. I'd be interested in any "tell it how it is" feedback from owners with large breeds.

Spec wise, I'm not sure yet but taking my D4 as a baseline and ticking the options I think the VSE is the best bet plus RSE is a must to prevent world war 3 in the back.

Ill also need to have a roofbox on most of the time, do you need to have rails for the bars?

Thanks In advance Thumbs Up

Post #420199 30th Dec 2016 5:41pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Welcome Very Happy

This thread has some measurements and shows the shape of the roof (page 2) - not much room, but probably just about enough for a Great Dane

AFAIK you can only fit roof bars if you have the permanent rail system. I haven't been able to find any. I assume it's something to do with the glass roof, but not certain.

RSE splits the crowd - in the cars I had it, it was rarely used - I'd spend the money on a couple of iPads instead.

I've just bought a Thule Easybase - my trip on New Years Day will be the first one I've not managed to get everything inside the car - it's the first one with kids and dogs and luggage.

Post #420200 30th Dec 2016 5:55pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

Brilliant thanks for the link I hadn't clocked Red Merle was lurking on here too Laughing

We had RSE in a D3 then didnt and it was hell, the current one has it and it does get a lot of use but given the cost of it on the FFRR I may well offer them a new IPAD each and be better off! Laughing

Post #420203 30th Dec 2016 6:06pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

You're not far from me - welcome to come and try Muttus Domesticus in the back of mine. I have 3 Border Collies and they all fit fine, but then they aren't 8 foot 37 tall Laughing

I also have a VSE with the RSE. Personally I did try a L322 AB which had not RSE, bought my lad an IPAD instead. The main difference then was it was (strangely) MY responsibility to make sure it was charged, loaded with films, repaired when he dropped it out of the car, and so on. Suffice to say I made sure the replacement had factory RSE. Wink

Not sure about D4 and the RSE in that. I've only had it in D3 and L322 (now L405) and all previous cars had the 6 disc changer but the L405 uses the single front slot. You can upload CDs to the car's hard disk but I've not tried it with DVDs.

Anyway, Jnc 11 of the M42 if any good to you. Thumbs Up

Post #420219 30th Dec 2016 7:00pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

mzplcg Thanks for the kind offer ill let you know Thumbs Up I'm waiting for the dealer to come back to me on an extended test drive date when hopefully I'll be able to test out the space but I think its going to be tight Very Happy :

My current D4 has the single disk upfront RSE, its no doubt very similar or the same. You can save CD music to the HDD but cant save movies. I know what your saying about the iPads, they do have iPads but only 16gig ones so no good for movies and also have iPhones but none of them are ever charged. They are always grabbing my and SWMBO's phone for flaming PokemonGo!

Post #420225 30th Dec 2016 7:14pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I have a Golden Retriever and he hasn't got much room when sitting. The thing is that the distance between the back of the rear head rests and the rear screen is not that large.

Post #420226 30th Dec 2016 7:31pm
Alistair

I have run charger cables into the rear armrest in mine so they never have an excuse. There's power in the boot area, so fairly easy to do.

Those are big dogs - it will definately be tight due to the slope of the rear tailgate - the Disco is much more square at the back

Post #420228 30th Dec 2016 7:32pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

thanks guys

I think its going to be really tight looking at that pic Sad theres a labrador lurking around to add to the mix too Shocked

The D5 has been compromised at the back due to the new sloping rear, the slab back was what made the Disco for us so I'm trying to see what the alternate options are.

Post #420232 30th Dec 2016 7:50pm
Alistair

Horsebox would be more appropriate for that pair Whistle

Post #420235 30th Dec 2016 7:54pm
DrF

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Orkney Grey

Could always do what i did and brought a ex London Cab for my dogs, i have 5 big ones and they travel in style and comfort.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #420240 30th Dec 2016 8:05pm
RDR

United Kingdom 

Laughing SWMBO has said I can scratch my itch for a 110 for the daily poochie motor when we get rid of the D4 Cool

Post #420245 30th Dec 2016 8:21pm
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

error.

Post #420267 30th Dec 2016 9:57pm
CSK

France 2013 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

I have a Bernese mountain dog and although not as large a dog as a Great Dane, she sits quite comfortably in the boot.
She had more space in my previous L322 where the back window was more upright and the boot floor lower.

Post #420273 30th Dec 2016 10:30pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

....gunna need a bigger car.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #420283 30th Dec 2016 11:34pm
Doodle

United Kingdom 

Have Great Dane and Great Dane Cross. 405 lacks behind seat headroom compared to 322 and will be even more problematic against the Discovery.

I also find the access height too high now they are older.

I have the full size guard behind the seats and this was a mistake, as it impinges too far into the available space. Better to have the top/half version. As you know, something has to be in place to protect occupants viz. emergency stop, etc..

It looks like the new discovery will also have reduced head height.

This will be more of a problem, with most manufacturers styling with sloping rooflines and rear glass.

Had a short wheelbase Defender which was an ideal mobile kennel. Should have kept it Sad

Post #420603 1st Jan 2017 6:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>