Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RangeK1D

Canada 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Help Needed - Fast Flashers -

Current Setup:

2004 North American Spec Range Rover HSE

2010 (Grey Insert) Headlights up Front
2012 (Black Insert) Tail Lights (Rear Lights)

Front Has 2 x LED Interface Units (Sourced via eBay)
Back has 2 x LED Interface Units (Sourced via eBay)

Existing Functionality: Everything Works (Angel Eyes, Low/High Beam, Side Lights (NA Feature), etc.

Problem: Fast Flashing (Hyper Flashing) Indicators / Blinkers, Check Side Light Error, Yellow Light in Headlight Comes on when light switch is set to zero and angel eyes don't come on (Angel Eyes are not acting as DRL like in 2010+).

Remedial Attempt:

I tried wiring in PowerfulUK Resistors (Indicator wire on one side of the resistor, wire tapping into a ground tail light wire), still got fast flashing indicators/blinkers.

Side Light Error Still Shows Up, Probably will just stick a bulb in to make it go away.

So the main question is, how do I make these fast blinkers / flashers go back to normal speed?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you! Zambezi Silver Range Rover (2010 Autobiography Facelift)
Mercedes Benz GL450 4Matic (X164)
Mercedes Benz E500 4Matic (W211) (Sold)
Mercedes Benz 300SDL (W126)
Lexus LX470 (J100)
Audi A8L (D3 Chassis)

Post #420302 31st Dec 2016 1:26am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

It does sound like there isn't enough load on the circuit.

If you have bulbs available, then try those - if that makes the problem go away & they flash at a normal rate, that would confirm it.

You can use LED bulbs, but they need enough load - there are some available that have that already, the other way - as you described are load resistors.

Load resistors are wired in parallel, across the bulb connections - so either one end of the resistor to each wire of the bulb - or connect one end to the POSITIVE supply side of the bulb and the other end to ground. But to make it go away you need to do all the bulbs.

I would have expected the LED interface units to have covered everything you need - but without knowing what they really are, it's hard to say.

Post #420323 31st Dec 2016 9:44am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle Sounds to me like there is a floating earth fault.... I think you need to retrace the wiring, it sounds to me as the DRL's are earthing through the flashers... what happens to the angel eyes when the flashers are on? do they flash too? Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #420361 31st Dec 2016 3:32pm
RangeK1D

Alistair wrote:
It does sound like there isn't enough load on the circuit.

If you have bulbs available, then try those - if that makes the problem go away & they flash at a normal rate, that would confirm it.

You can use LED bulbs, but they need enough load - there are some available that have that already, the other way - as you described are load resistors.

Load resistors are wired in parallel, across the bulb connections - so either one end of the resistor to each wire of the bulb - or connect one end to the POSITIVE supply side of the bulb and the other end to ground. But to make it go away you need to do all the bulbs.

I would have expected the LED interface units to have covered everything you need - but without knowing what they really are, it's hard to say.

Hey thanks for the reply! Yes I think I will try and first stick in both side light bulbs and then try the indicators again. Then perhaps buy bigger bulbs and fit those and see if that makes a difference. I'm not sure if adding big bulbs or bulbs at all to the side light slot will make a difference in the indicator flashing as it's a completely separate wire, it will make the side light error go away of that I'm certain. Yeah I was really disappointed, the front led boxes I think are working as they should because I can hear the relay go off when the blinkers are on; but I don't hear any real system in the rear led boxes. Zambezi Silver Range Rover (2010 Autobiography Facelift)
Lexus LX470 (J100)
Audi A8L (D3 Chassis)

Post #420434 31st Dec 2016 7:19pm
RangeK1D

miggit wrote:
Whistle Sounds to me like there is a floating earth fault.... I think you need to retrace the wiring, it sounds to me as the DRL's are earthing through the flashers... what happens to the angel eyes when the flashers are on? do they flash too?

Hey thanks for the reply; the angel eyes don't get affected at all when the indicators are on. I did a bit of reading and it turns out that my older 2004 model is not programmed to run the LED's as DRL's. Basicslly they are wired in as the parking light. And I should have followed all the wiring perfectly for sure because all the functionality is there except the fast blinking indicators. I heard there is something you can purchase that changes the high beam acting as your drls to your led drls acting as your drls, apparently a lot of hondas and toyotas that are upgraded with leds also suffer with the same problem. Zambezi Silver Range Rover (2010 Autobiography Facelift)
Lexus LX470 (J100)
Audi A8L (D3 Chassis)

Post #420436 31st Dec 2016 7:24pm
Alistair

I'm slightly cautions as I have no idea what the LED interface units are or how they are wired.

If you have them, start with putting standard bulbs back into the indicators and see if that fixes it.

The 'angel eyes' on the 2010 headlights were just sidelights - at least in the UK - and not DRL's - so it sounds like they are functioning correctly.

It does sound to me like you don't have sufficient ballast in those interface units, or they aren't wired correctly.

Post #420446 31st Dec 2016 7:39pm
RangeK1D

These are the rear LED Units I purchased: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/162305059479?ul_noapp=true

What they look like:

I checked all the wiring over 4-5 times and it follows exactly the instructions that I was sent. I think what happened is that I was likely sent the wrong LED boxes. I believe these boxes don't take into account the Side Lights that are attached to our lights here.

Yeah the Angel Eyes here in Canada act as the running DRLs, which I think look really good ahaha (Good one Land Rover). I wonder if taking the LCM from a 2010 Range Rover would remedy all of this ( I doubt it would fit though, thanks to BMW). Zambezi Silver Range Rover (2010 Autobiography Facelift)
Lexus LX470 (J100)
Audi A8L (D3 Chassis)

Post #420456 31st Dec 2016 8:04pm
Alistair

What did you use for the front lights ?

Post #420459 31st Dec 2016 8:18pm
RangeK1D

Similar box for the front except it had room for a 5 AMP fuse in one of it's wires and it had to be hooked up directly to the battery. Zambezi Silver Range Rover (2010 Autobiography Facelift)
Lexus LX470 (J100)
Audi A8L (D3 Chassis)

Post #420473 31st Dec 2016 8:59pm
Alistair

Not sure what the permanent power would be for on the fronts.....

Did you ask the seller about the problems you're having ?

Post #420479 31st Dec 2016 9:05pm
RangeK1D

Yeah a few months ago I contacted him, once the talk of me returning the rear light led units came and getting another pair from him, he disappeared from his email account ahaha. I messaged him today again via eBay and he did respond, I shortly messaged him pictures through his email and yet again he is disappeared from his email account. I think I get his message. Zambezi Silver Range Rover (2010 Autobiography Facelift)
Lexus LX470 (J100)
Audi A8L (D3 Chassis)

Post #420501 31st Dec 2016 11:19pm
RangeK1D

Alistair wrote:
Not sure what the permanent power would be for on the fronts.....

Did you ask the seller about the problems you're having ?

I am thinking of adding a relay system to the rear tail lights, but I am not sure if I would need to run a 12v source all the way from the battery for the relay system. I also looked at the relay panel in the back where the fuses also are, there is room for a relay (actually room for 3 relays) but don't know if any of them correspond to the indicators. Traditionally vehicles have their indicators managed using a relay flasher module, but don't know if that's the case for our L322's. Zambezi Silver Range Rover (2010 Autobiography Facelift)
Lexus LX470 (J100)
Audi A8L (D3 Chassis)

Post #420505 31st Dec 2016 11:42pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Relays will not cure the problem, they will make it worse... the LCM is looking at the different light circuits and measuring the amount of amps that are being drawn... LED's use a lot less amps and therefore the LCM thinks that there is a bulb blown and then all the blinking lights and Bongs and messages start Shocked

What you need to add is ballast resistors to each circuit to add the missing load back in, then the LCM gets the right reading and everything functions normally.

There are a few things that you can do, probably the easiest is to turn off the LCM for the light circuits that are effected.. You know what the next line is........

The Gap IID tool will do this Wink

Shocked Not Got a Gap Tool Rolling Eyes Shame on you....

There is also a program available to download on the web called NavCoder, it will also allow you to control the LCM on a BMW system, SO YOU MUST NOT HAVE A TOUCH SCREEN ! Assuming that your lucky enough to have the non touch system you'll also need a lead like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-INPA-Ediabas-K-...SwZetXOuk1 That's the cheapest one I could find quickly your side of the pond, but if you get it from China then you'll be able to half that price, but it will take forever to arrive (4 weeks over here) Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #420511 1st Jan 2017 12:47am
RangeK1D

Hey miggit thanks for the reply! Okay so I am in luck, I have the non-touch screen! I'll place and order on that dongle right away. Also question for you, does it make a difference if you wire in the load resistors for both left and right sides of the vehicle at the same time or do it just on one of the sides to check the indicator flash rate. Because I'm assuming the left side indicator circuit runs independently of the right side circuit, so in other words a load on the left side won't make a difference on the indicators on the right side. Zambezi Silver Range Rover (2010 Autobiography Facelift)
Lexus LX470 (J100)
Audi A8L (D3 Chassis)

Post #420607 1st Jan 2017 6:51pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

If your adding load resistors then they need to be around 35 watts each and you'll need to add one at each indicator that has been changed to LED.. However those rear light adaptor boxes are normally OK so I would look at just doing the front lamps to start with... having said that you can get load (ballast) resistors 10 a penny... well more like under $5 for a pair Wink Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #420611 1st Jan 2017 7:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>