Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Parking sensors no longer working...constant beep then flash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
phillips321

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Galway Green
Parking sensors no longer working...constant beep then flash

Hi guys,

Our front and rear parking sensors have been a bit hit and miss (no pun intended).

But now they don't work at all. When selecting reverse they output a constant beep for about 2-3 seconds then stop entirely and the light on the centre console flashes.

What's the options in resolving this?

I've watched this video:

But it doesn't help me all that much Sad

Thanks

Post #421234 5th Jan 2017 12:34pm
Stacker

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

Do you have front and rear fitted to your vehicle?

The first step would be to leave the ignition on (not engine) with the car in reverse, leave the sensor switched on then go around the car and put your ear to each of the sensors.

You should hear a buzzing from them... If you don't from 1 of them, it's most likely that sensor is dodgy and what is causing your problem.

If they are all buzzing ok, theres a possibility it could be your wiring loom - I know they are quite common for the rear loom to go, I think mine has but haven't got round to changing it out yet. They are available genuine via Dan @ Duckworths on this forum for about £40ish I believe.

Failing that, i'd plug a code reader for a RR in, and it should tell you what sensor is faulty. I use an iCarSoft i930 which definitely isn't the best for an L322, but does the job of telling me faults and resetting them. 

Post #421301 5th Jan 2017 6:48pm
kezbo1981

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

What he said ^ but I would describe the noise they make as a clicking rather than buzz

Post #421334 5th Jan 2017 9:18pm
6029 king Stephen

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Rimini Red

I have a similar problem on my 2005 Supercharged Range Rover. It is fitted with the rear view camera which seems to have some dirt on the lens as the image is a bit blurred. When I put it into reverse, then is a beep and then nothing but the switch is flashing. When I drive into an obstruction forward, I press the parking but and again there is a beep and then a sustained beep.

I tried the clicking test, putting the car into reverse with the engine off but the ignition on. All the rear sensors are clicking but the front ones don't - I assumed this was because the car is set for reverse. I do have a Britpart diagnostic machine specifically for this vehicle but have not yet tried it out as I have to load something onto my laptop before connecting the lead to the car. I will try to do this sometime this week. Will I be able to reset a fault code/get the sensors working by simply connecting this tool?

Regards,

Steve

Post #451296 18th Sep 2017 3:59pm
bembo449

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

on my 03 , all the sensors are active when reverse is selected OR the switch is used , I had a wiring fault to one front corner sensor , repaired the wire , all good

Post #451298 18th Sep 2017 4:05pm
Dreckly

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

With my 06 S/C I repaired the rear loom. It had worn through the insulation in various places where it passed over the "bumper iron". After the repair I applied extra insulation where I thought it might rub through again & gave the connections a liberal coating of petroluem jelly.
I also had/have an intermittent fault with the front left outer which whenever I think about replacing works fine for weeks! I checked the wiring to it & it's fine so must be the sensor itself!
If I remember correctly with the rears not working the fronts were shut down so no noise/ticking.

Cheers,
Ken 55 S/C L322 Zambesi Silver.....GONE!!
56 S/C L322 Java Black......surviving at present...just!
04 N/A 4.2 V8 S Type Jag
1961 reg 3.5 V8 Bowler Tomcat.....Sold
Numerous Classic (rusty!?!) Minis

Post #451314 18th Sep 2017 6:57pm
6029 king Stephen

All my rear ones are clicking when in reverse. Do I need to move the gear stick to the Drive position to hear if the front ones are clicking once the parking aid button has been pressed? Or should the front sensors click when the car has been put into reverse?

Regards,

Steve

Post #451364 19th Sep 2017 5:47am
Dreckly

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Hi Steve,

When I select reverse (And my system is working correctly!??!) it activates the switch on the dash which shows as constant orange. In this mode all my sensors are active and ticking and both front and/or rear will sound if an obstruction comes close. It makes sense for when parallel parking...... Thumbs Up
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ken 55 S/C L322 Zambesi Silver.....GONE!!
56 S/C L322 Java Black......surviving at present...just!
04 N/A 4.2 V8 S Type Jag
1961 reg 3.5 V8 Bowler Tomcat.....Sold
Numerous Classic (rusty!?!) Minis

Post #451404 19th Sep 2017 1:45pm
6029 king Stephen

Hi Ken,

Thanks, that is helpful. I suspect that as my button is flashing after giving the initial beep, that the system is not actually working. I must get down and listen to the front sensors properly as I imaging that one of my front ones is not working.

I watched a You Tube video the other day that demonstrated how to get inside the rear view camera. Although my camera is working, the image on the screen is slightly blurred because there is some crud on the inner lens of the camera. A replacement camera is in the region of £200 so if I can get into it to clean the lens and then reassemble it using some silicone, then that might be worthwhile. I have to replace one of the LEDs on the upper rear brake light in the spoiler anyway, so may as well kill two birds with the one stone.

Regards,

Steve

Post #451606 21st Sep 2017 12:56pm
gizze

United Kingdom 

Put your finger on each one gently, you can feel them pulse, if one is not that is your problem, often the contacts just need cleaning up. Porsche 911 (996)
2015 BMW 5 Series Touring
Not got a LR of any kind at the mo, and got itchy feet.

Post #451617 21st Sep 2017 2:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1