Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > which is a better drive ? looking for peoples views.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
b348xyx

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
which is a better drive ? looking for peoples views.

Hi,

Currently have a 2003 4.4Litre V8 the bmw engine.

which when all is working is very smooth silky V8

Has anyone had good long term changed to a 3.6 TDV8 or even the 4.4 TDV8

Does the TDV8 feel as smooth as the older Petrol V8's or if i did look for changing should i be looking at the 4.2 SC / 5.0

So 4.4 Petrol V8 vs TDV8 3.6 which drives better ?

Thanks in advance. 2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 - Adriatic blue

2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 -Maintenance History Click Here = http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39687.html

Post #421274 5th Jan 2017 4:06pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I went to a 3.6 TDV8 from a 4.2SC. regardless of how much you try and convince yourself that you're not driving a diesel, you just can't hide that fact. It will never be as smooth as a petrol engine.
The upside is the less frequent visits to the pumps and once you're up to speed, the noise is pretty much inaudible. Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #421277 5th Jan 2017 4:15pm
Rangeyman

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I have an 04 ,4.4 bmw petrol it is extremely smooth and if you use little throttle you can hardly hear the enging running.The same cannot be said about my friends tdv8 which is difficult to describe other than the word 'tractor' The newer tdv8 also runs on slightly lower profile tyres which also give a noticeable harder ride.For me the petrol feels more refined by a league.

Post #421285 5th Jan 2017 4:45pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Having had a few Whistle

Petrol is smoother no matter which way you look at it. The pull off from still is also way better with petrol. However, any V8 is smooth, even the diesel. The 4.4 SDV8 is a superb engine and will give 40mpg easily. There isn't a petrol on the planet with similar power which will do that.

For towing the diesel has much more low down grunt, and of course, over 600 miles from a full tank means less filling up. Forget the cost, it's just the inconvenience. I do like being able to get to Cornwall and back without filling up.

Compromises both ways. Depends on your view as to which is important really. In an ideal world I would have the FFRR, with the Aston V12 in it, with a 250 litre fuel tank and have it all put together by Volkswagen. I would then pass a law insisting that all petrol stations provide attended service Thumbs Up

Post #421286 5th Jan 2017 4:49pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I went from an 03 4.4 petrol to an 07 3.6 TDV8

I much preferred the TDV8 - but I did have a BAS Remap - mainly as there is a low down flat spot - kind of rolling into a roundabout, not quite stopping then trying to pull away and there being nothing there - the remap fixed that perfectly Thumbs Up

I'm not sure of the exact figures, but the TDV8 felt quicker to me than the 4.4 petrol & returned much better economy. The engine noise is different, but I didn't mind it. As stated, the torque for towing is awesome. Overall - a better drive IMHO

Slightly 'rougher' engine, but the grunt puts a smile on your face - particularly the mid-range acceleration if you do a lot of motorway driving.

The 4.4 TDV8 is even better - mainly due to the gearbox IMHO - and in SDV8 form on the L405 it feels better still Very Happy

Test drive one & find out for yourself Thumbs Up

Last edited by Alistair on 5th Jan 2017 5:48pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #421297 5th Jan 2017 5:35pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I had the 4.4 petrol for over 9 years, have had the 3.6 TDV8 as a loan car and have had the 4.4 TDV8 for over 3 years. The 4.4 petrol does pick up more quickly than the 3.6, but otherwise I thought the 3.6 would be an acceptable replacement. I think the 4.4 is better, it feels quicker to me and of course it is more economical, with the convenience of much bigger range. It's better for towing too and you get the 8-speed gearbox which improves economy and seems more durable than the one in the 3.6. I'd say the suspension set-up of the 4.4 is also better, so the car handles better, though it is heavier.

On noise, I found the 4.4 petrol a bit noisy at higher revs, it was not an unpleasant sound, but I would have preferred it quieter. The 4.4 TDV8 sounds a bit diesel outside the car, but inside I would say it is quiet enough, at higher revs it is quieter than the petrol. In the 405 it is more refined and quiet still.

On mpg, I think you'd need the 405 to get 40mph from the 4.4 TDV8, I'm not that hard on fuel and get between 30 and 32.5 in my 322, Shell V Power normally or BP Ultimate.

My experience has been that my 2012 car has suffered more from corrosion than the 2004 car did. I don't know whether that is due to poor workmanship at LR, changes to permitted paint due to different regulations or higher scrap content in the steel being used, but it is, to me, the most disappointing thing with the later cars, so if you go for a late 322 then check carefully having read on here where the problem areas are. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #421300 5th Jan 2017 5:48pm
miles2k6

United Kingdom 
Re: which is a better drive ? looking for peoples views.

b348xyx wrote:
Hi,

Currently have a 2003 4.4Litre V8 the bmw engine.

which when all is working is very smooth silky V8

Has anyone had good long term changed to a 3.6 TDV8 or even the 4.4 TDV8

Does the TDV8 feel as smooth as the older Petrol V8's or if i did look for changing should i be looking at the 4.2 SC / 5.0

So 4.4 Petrol V8 vs TDV8 3.6 which drives better ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate, im after what you've got.

Have you had any problems with yours? also, do you know of any common faults with the 4.4 v8 with your year?

thanks bud

Post #421472 6th Jan 2017 5:13pm
b348xyx

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

thanks for all the comments,

Really appreciated hearing all the views.

I am going to have a good think about the options.

miles2k6, I have PM'd. 2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 - Adriatic blue

2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 -Maintenance History Click Here = http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39687.html

Post #421484 6th Jan 2017 5:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1