Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > chain guide renewal - 2004 BMW 4.4L V8 Petrol - Update
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

loving those wooden camshaft setting tools! Thumbs Up

Post #423557 18th Jan 2017 8:35pm
holidaychicken

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

yes my patented chippy minton M62tu timing block retainers Very Happy

i had some steel tube that fitted snug over the ceramic portion of a spark plug and then i tack welded it to the metal part and then i had a length of studding that fitted nice and snug in the tube and then i welded that in as well.
It was just to make sure the cam locking blocks didn't pop off.

This is the official tool, much less character and mine are both eco friendly from sustainable forests and bio degradable

Post #423567 18th Jan 2017 8:58pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Lovely stuff guys. Many thanks. My vanos were fine prior to this. No real tapping except for the injectors and the lpg injectors. So that's a no to new vanos and a saving of £1k!

They didn't even drop,the sump, just took the rad off etc and saw the central V guide gone.

What think you on the prices charged?

Post #423629 19th Jan 2017 12:41am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

holidaychicken wrote:

LPG is not a good omen for the timing chain guides as it is my belief it makes the engine run hotter and seems to kill the plastic quicker than non lpg, mine has never had LPG and my guides when I changed looked good.

This is quoted by LPG neighsayers... it is correct though, LPG burns around 10 degrees hotter than petrol, but seeing as they both burn at around a 1000 degrees it doesn't make a lot of difference....!!! The advantage of LPG is that the oil barely gets dirty between changes as there are far less combustion particles getting into it, this keeps oilways from blocking, LPG also keeps the inlet tract and valves much cleaner.

Good luck with the fix Flipper , personally I wouldn't do the Vanos and I think the price is not unreasonable but certainly not cheap..... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #423633 19th Jan 2017 1:15am
holidaychicken

I admit i don't have any evidence it is just my thoughts as all the cars i have seen with failed guides in the lower mileage bracket of 100K - 140K for example have had LPG and mine has never had LPG and my guides looked great at 120K.
like i say it is just my opinion, i am sure the savings from LPG would pay for a set of guides after 120 k miles anyway even if it was true.

@johnboy, The price of genuine landrover parts are a lot more than the prices of the febi kit i quoted in the earlier post and i guess he is charging 24 hours ish @ £60/hr + vat

Post #423649 19th Jan 2017 8:30am
Dolphinboy

They say they only fit LR gen parts as they come with a 2 year/20,000 mile warranty. I could stipulate my own choice but tbh just want to get it done and finished now.

They are claiming 19 hrs at £65/hr which seems fair. The LR job book says it is an 11 hr job. I have told them not to do the vanos.

Want to get the valley pan changed too at the same time. Should I do that now?

Post #423706 19th Jan 2017 11:31am
b348xyx

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Would recommend http://www.lrsengineering.co.uk/

For the timing chains and guides rebuild so on.

Did my engine rebuild and they have done quite a few of these.

prices very good and very good keeping you updated so on. 2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 - Adriatic blue

2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 -Maintenance History Click Here = http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39687.html

Post #423718 19th Jan 2017 12:05pm
holidaychicken

Dolphinboy wrote:
They say they only fit LR gen parts as they come with a 2 year/20,000 mile warranty. I could stipulate my own choice but tbh just want to get it done and finished now.

They are claiming 19 hrs at £65/hr which seems fair. The LR job book says it is an 11 hr job. I have told them not to do the vanos.

Want to get the valley pan changed too at the same time. Should I do that now?

Wouldn't hurt as you are already in deep and you can see mine had started to get a bit crusty

Should be about £70 for genuine LR

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/5032...over_vogue

if they already have the front cover off then they have done the hard work, putting it back together is a pleasure, timing it was a bit tricky with mine but the cheap locking blocks were a bit 'relaxed' and as it was my first time I set it and checked it and reset and checked and then reset again just to make sure Smile

Post #423838 19th Jan 2017 8:40pm
Dolphinboy

Hhmmmm, very confused now...

Have been told that this will require another 3-4 hrs work and a Replacement part is £90 + £25 for gasket or stg. They are calling it the water jacket not the valley pan. Also said it was a sealed unit and didn't have a gasket.?? (Maybe I misheard).

Anyhow told them not to bother as the original seems fine anyhow.

They are putting her together and engine test run tomorrow so let's see what that brings!! Whistle

Post #423885 20th Jan 2017 12:34am
ipwn

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

You can just rebuild the vanos units with new seals? Company in Sheffield do them.

Post #423887 20th Jan 2017 12:50am
holidaychicken

The valley pan is supplied with sealer already supplied, the other gasket or seal is probably the inlet manifold rubber seals as this sits above valley pan.
They seem to know what they are doing and they also know how to charge, hopefully all goes well tomorrow 👍

Post #423891 20th Jan 2017 1:39am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Originally your car would have a valley pan, with a rubber gasket. This is unavailable now, you now get a new cover with an applied and hard, bead of sealant. Bolts straight on.
Whilst you have your car apart, it does require a few more bits to come off, so it would interrupt the replacement of the chain guides. They would need to remove all the coils pack leads, injector plugs, sensor plugs, and then the inlet manifold. Then the valleypan cover. Maybe a little clean up of the valley area, Defo, a scrape of the mounting face, and fit cover, and replace sundries. . Kind of the advantage of doing it at same time, is car is booked in, rocker covers are off, and water drained..... so it's not really THE best time to do it, just convenient. And I guess they aren't offering a discount 'in the workshop' The valleypan, isn't going to catastrophically let go, it's just weeps, and requires top ups.

Just following up on the sump. They said they didn't remove the sump, they saw the guide broken. They will need to drop that lower sump, (15 mins) as debris will have dropped in. Unless the guide was still in on piece, but loose. Even then the mount tabs will have dropped in. That debris can be sucked against the oil pick up grill screen, and starve the oil flow. Just look for the gasket on you bill. Can't remember, maybe £15....

Post #423901 20th Jan 2017 9:49am
Dolphinboy

Thanks again Andy and John boy. Will do. Thumbs Up

Post #423917 20th Jan 2017 11:23am
Dolphinboy

Sitrep - job done

Well got the old girl back today. She is running sweet and sounding great again. The mechs seemed to know their stuff and didnt cut corners. All necessary gaskets changed. They said she was in great nick otherwise.

Interestingly they decided to do it "engine in" and not out as they proposed earlier. When asked why they said it wasn't required as the engine all seemed to be in good order and there wasn't a lot of guide debris in the sump. They did 2 oil changes with filter and say I will need to do another one in 500 miles or so.

Didn't change the vanos as were running fine (another £1,000)

Total damage to my wallet £2500 + vat. 19 hrs labour at £75 /hr totalling £1450 labour and the rest parts.

Have attached the list of parts for info for anyone who may need to have this done in the future.

Here's to another 100,000 miles! Bow down Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #424753 25th Jan 2017 4:12pm
b348xyx

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Glad it's all working again Smile 2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 - Adriatic blue

2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 -Maintenance History Click Here = http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39687.html

Post #424772 25th Jan 2017 5:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>