Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > In Control Apps Data & Music Questions??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Charlyfarly

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Sadly it's a MY15 Crying or Very sad If it ain't broken, fix it till it is.

Post #423350 17th Jan 2017 7:39pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Try posting a question to LR Customer Services in their section ?

There must me some kind of SIM card in the car somewhere for it to be able to communicate with you when you're not in it.

It may come with something pre-paid & installed, or you may have to install your own - but there will be one and someone has to pay for the ongoing connectivity.

Or you could wait until you collect it & have a plan..... I just bought a SIM from 3 for my iPad - 12GB of data and valid for a year - cost me £30. I walked into a local 3 store & walked out with it, so worst case, you're up & running the same day and then figure out your longer term plan.

Unacceptable, but not entirely surprising that your supplying dealer can't give you the facts, hence I'd post to LR Customer Services.

Post #423354 17th Jan 2017 8:06pm
adamfawsitt

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

As the previous poster said buy a 12GB SIM from Three. They are 3 in 1 and you need to snap off the outer piece of plastic to make a micro SIM to fit the car.

Traffic / Street View and other services will run through the SIM, Spotify will use your phones data plan (assuming you are using the InControl Spotify app as mentioned in your post).

With typical use you will use about 300MB per month - make sure you enable roaming as it's included with the Three SIM anyway.

Unfortunately the RR Vogue MY17 is only working on 3G on my SIM despite it being 4G enabled.

Enjoy the car - it is fantastic!

Post #423410 17th Jan 2017 11:31pm
adamfawsitt

As the previous poster said buy a 12GB SIM from Three. They are 3 in 1 and you need to snap off the outer piece of plastic to make a micro SIM to fit the car.

Traffic / Street View and other services will run through the SIM, Spotify will use your phones data plan (assuming you are using the InControl Spotify app as mentioned in your post).

With typical use you will use about 300MB per month - make sure you enable roaming as it's included with the Three SIM anyway.

Unfortunately the RR Vogue MY17 is only working on 3G on my SIM despite it being 4G enabled.

Post #423411 17th Jan 2017 11:31pm
adamfawsitt

I forgot to mention that you can set a monthly data limit in the car - mine is set at 300MB

Post #423414 17th Jan 2017 11:36pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

My 2016.5 has a sim card slot for internal WiFi but i don't need it for playing music. there are two usb ports in the centre console that you can plug the phone into and it also plays through blue tooth. i haven't played with the in control apps yet.

Hope this helps Thumbs Up 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #423415 17th Jan 2017 11:36pm
w8pmc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

adamfawsitt wrote:

Thanks.

Can you confirm what additional features are enabled/accessible with the acquired SIM that can't be done the regular way with an iPhone connected via the USB?

If it is just the ability to provide a wifi hotspot then that's of no interest to me as i'll usually be alone in the car. If however if opens up useful functionality within the Infotainment system then i may as well go for it. I have a package with Three however so would add the SIM only onto that contract.

Also you say you have a MY17, but my dealer (they could be fibbing) said MY17 FFRR's haven't started arriving at dealers yet, even as Demonstrators (although he could have meant his dealer network), however they will start arriving within the next few days.

Post #423435 18th Jan 2017 9:45am
adamfawsitt

Your car will need Internet connectivity to take advantage of various features of the Incontrol Pro features that it comes with including advanced remote, Real Time traffic, door to door routing, cloud syncing of routes etc, online search, satellite view and street view as well as the cars own WiFi hotspot (I may have missed a few so there may be more).

Plugging your phone in via USB will provide none of these features. You could create a WiFi hotspot to connect the car which will enable all features bar the WiFi hotspot in the car but having dropped ~£100k on the purchase I would save yourself the hassle and get a vehicle SIM. If you are already on Three then I would suggest a SIM from another network this will give you a second bite of the cherry when traveling in marginal reception areas (I am Vodafone for my phone which is why I chose Three for the car).

Finally, yes, I can confirm that I have taken delivery of my MY17 RR Vogue AB.

Post #423439 18th Jan 2017 10:01am
Charlyfarly

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Great suggestion, Adam, about the alternative network...smart thinking Smile If it ain't broken, fix it till it is.

Post #423445 18th Jan 2017 10:17am
w8pmc

adamfawsitt wrote:
Your car will need Internet connectivity to take advantage of various features of the Incontrol Pro features that it comes with including advanced remote, Real Time traffic, door to door routing, cloud syncing of routes etc, online search, satellite view and street view as well as the cars own WiFi hotspot (I may have missed a few so there may be more).

Plugging your phone in via USB will provide none of these features. You could create a WiFi hotspot to connect the car which will enable all features bar the WiFi hotspot in the car but having dropped ~£100k on the purchase I would save yourself the hassle and get a vehicle SIM. If you are already on Three then I would suggest a SIM from another network this will give you a second bite of the cherry when traveling in marginal reception areas (I am Vodafone for my phone which is why I chose Three for the car).

Finally, yes, I can confirm that I have taken delivery of my MY17 RR Vogue AB.

Good points & i didn't realise (read that as the dealer was no use) that an embedded SIM provided quite such a level of enhanced features & functionality. I'll look at alternative Network providers but just browsing the Three website it looks as though they offer a 12GB 6mth SIM (2gb per month) for £50 or 24gb 12mth (2gb per month) for £90.

I truly do with these damn dealers had a better idea of the premium products they're selling & what's involved. Really doesn't instil me with confidence that to find out how the car works & what i need, i have to ask the Internet.

Post #423447 18th Jan 2017 10:39am
Alistair

£30 for 12Gb for 12 months here on 3

Post #423450 18th Jan 2017 10:46am
adamfawsitt

That is exactly the deal that I went for.

Post #423453 18th Jan 2017 10:51am
w8pmc

Excellent & i'll look into that further. Just realised i've said twice now my monthly combined iPhone/iPad/Son's iPhone contract is with 3 but it's not it's with EE so 3 looks to be a good alternative.

Will 12gb for 12mths cover requirements as that equates to 1gb per month which doesn't seem alot if so many features could be using this data?

Post #423454 18th Jan 2017 10:52am
w8pmc

Alistair wrote:
£30 for 12Gb for 12 months here on 3

Ordered & will be here early next week.

Adam, do you need to do anything additional with the car or Network Provider to allow the additional functionality, or is it simply pop the Micro SIM into the relevant slot in the car & the car works it all out (plug & play)?

Post #423458 18th Jan 2017 11:01am
Alistair

w8pmc wrote:
Will 12gb for 12mths cover requirements as that equates to 1gb per month which doesn't seem alot if so many features could be using this data?

If the car doesn't tell you, you should be able to access your account on 3 & track usage. I use an iPad which tells me how much I've downloaded.

As its Pay As You Go - when it's run out, either top it up or buy a new SIM from a different supplier or you could switch to a Pay Monthly contract if that works out better - but 12Gb should be plenty to figure out your average & peak usage patterns and could well last all year if you're not streaming music or have passengers hammering the hot spot Thumbs Up

Post #423460 18th Jan 2017 11:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>