Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Air leak?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
steadyaway

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver
Air leak?

Ok here goes. Thus may be quite a long post but I want to give as much info as I can in order to get the best responses. I apologise in advance.
A few weeks ago I had some work done on the fatty but not related to my issue. Due to problems at the garage, the car ended up on a 4 poster ramp with the wheels off for nearly 2 weeks, with the suspension hanging. The day I go the car back everything seemed fine. I ran the EAS through all its heights a couple of times with no issues. I drop the car to access when I park it up. The following morning when I started it up and asked for normal height I got the message "Vehicle Lifting Slowly". Not too bothered as I've had this once or twice before and it's always been a 1 off. Once the car had lifted it would move through the other heights with no messages. It does it every time the car has been stood for a few hours. I have had my code reader plugged in bit it isn't showing any problems. The car is not losing height on any corner. Now it is showing the lifting slowly message when trying to go from normal to off road height. Initially I suspected the compressor ring and filter dryer as live data shows the reservoir pressure only rising slowly when it is running. Over the last couple of days I have noticed a feint hissing coming from somewhere around the front wheel but I can't pin point it as yet. It seems to be there for quite a long time - 90 mins or so - but again the car is not dropping. I have not noticed this hissing before but there again I haven't needed to pay so close attention to the EAS. And today I had the message "Vehicle will lift when the system cools".
Am I correct in my diagnosis, and does anyone know what the hissing could be. Thanks for reading, and thanks for any views.

Post #423546 18th Jan 2017 8:02pm
RP123

Scotland 2006 Range Rover HSE Td6 Bonatti Grey

Hi,

Had a similar situation on mine - it would hold height but if i tried to change height it would lift slowly and the compressor would over heat (@130c if I remember) - Could not find the leak and had to pass on to my indi.

Turned out the blue supply pipe had a pinprick hole - where it had rubbed - indi replaced @ 2cm of pipe and all good.

Sorry can't remember where it rubbed but if you can get underneath you may be able to follow it back from the compressor.

Cheers

Simon

Post #423550 18th Jan 2017 8:10pm
steadyaway

Interesting Simon. Thank you for the information. Thumbs Up

Post #423552 18th Jan 2017 8:17pm
Joe90

England 

and may possibly be "before" the valve block, which is why you get no height drop. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #423574 18th Jan 2017 9:09pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Follow the pipe from the compressor to the tank and see if you can hear any leaks when the compressor is running, by dropping it down and asking it to raise to the top. Ears are the best tool.

If it's lifting slowly it means that the reservoir isn't up to pressure, but as Joe90 says if it's not dropping the leak is likely between the compressor and the valves somewhere. You can buy straight connectors which fit the pipe, so it's possible to chop out the bad section and splice in a new bit, or if it's a pin hole then just cut the pipe at the hole and put a coupler in. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #423578 18th Jan 2017 9:15pm
steadyaway

Joe90 wrote:
and may possibly be "before" the valve block, which is why you get no height drop.

Joe, just read your write up from aug 2014 about the reservoir and valve block removal. Great info by the way. Mine is a 2006 so will it be in the same place? Is the valve block under a cover just behind the drivers side front wheel, just inboard of the sill? If so this is where i think the hiss is comong fron. When i first looked, i thought this cover was one of the fuel pumps.
Cheers.

Post #423588 18th Jan 2017 9:56pm
steadyaway

Found the air leak this morning. It is actually the reservoir! New one on order from Dan. Let's hope it's as easy to swap as it looks. Thanks for the thoughts, they did lead me in the right direction.

Post #423728 19th Jan 2017 12:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1