Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Engine Cutting Out Intermittently - 2012 4.4 TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Just in case this helps. ? G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #427423 12th Feb 2017 11:58am
bwelton

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

There are 2 x Manifold Absolute Pressure monitors
- Manifold absolute pressure Bank 1: it was reading aprox 98
- Manifold absolute pressure Bank 2: it was reading - N/A

I'll keep making test runs until I can capture a failure.

If anybody has any other thoughts of Sensors or Live Values to check, please add a comment.

Many thanks
Bob

Post #427433 12th Feb 2017 1:38pm
proser

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

We're those values taken at idle or driving.

As I'm going out later and will capture live values from mine if you want to give a list.

It could be a live wire grounding out. Had drive ability issues with my previous FF and due to wires from the one of the mafs had rubbed through and was touching the bodywork and going to ground. Regards
Mark

2012 Westminster
GONE - 2007 Java Black FF Vogue, with Ivory interior

Post #427488 12th Feb 2017 7:30pm
bwelton

Hi there,

Those Line Values were taken at idle. I do have a large recording from a test drive but I'm not sure if I can upload such a file.

But it would be great if you could do a comparison.

Thx

Post #427495 12th Feb 2017 8:01pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

proser wrote:
It could be a live wire grounding out.
My thoughts too, on a sensor supply that is causing enough current drain to momentarily shut down at least part of the ecm causing other ecus to not see ecm data on the HS canbus that is expected.

Monitoring ECM supply voltage is of no benefit. The ECM has internal 5V supplies so finding a sensor supply voltage such as the MAP or crankshaft position to monitor could be useful as those sensors are showing plausibility faults. However as the engine revs drop to zero (crankshaft position sensor) indicates that the sensor's 5V power supply has gone (shorted to ground), the earth has been lost (sensor loose but wouldn't cause the other faults) or the sensor has failed but again would not cause the other faults. Chaffing of harnesses is a common problem with anything that causes vibrations.

There is only 1 MAP sensor and it's located in the inlet manifold just behind the throttle assembly. However there are 2 MAFs, 1 for each turbo.

Post #427528 12th Feb 2017 11:34pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

It is not likely to be a live feed earthing, surely this would blow a fuse eventually and hence not be an intermittent fault, so much more likely to be a high resistance earth connection. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #427870 15th Feb 2017 12:51pm
GraemeS

The fuses are on the 12V supply, not the 5V supplies which typically are current limited by circuitry to 1A or 5A.

Post #427937 15th Feb 2017 8:28pm
bwelton

OK. I have a log of an Engine Cut out whilst at idle.

One thing to remember on this problem is that sometimes the engine does not fully cut out, I.e. Just a blip in power loss, but then the engine continues running. When there is a blip, no Confirmed Faults are logged by the IIDTool.

Here is the cut out line value graph for a FULL Cut-Out.

Here is a second log showing a blip without actual cut out, but then at the time I was just reaching out to press the Stop button and hence Manual engine shut down. Note: the colours of the lines don't match the first line graph above, so need to be cross checked with the key.

Any thoughts ?
Thx Bob

Post #428260 18th Feb 2017 3:23pm
bwelton

Ok - I have captured a Failed Starting of the Engine followed by a Start of the engine.

The engine was turning over for 10 or so seconds, but not firing up. Then I stopped and tried again and the engine started.

The graph shows that there is Zero RPM, Howevr, should record the Cranking RPM rather than zero ?

Following the failed starting, I went for a run and experienced multiple failures. This second screenshot is an engine cut out for a 1-2 seconds (at about 120 on the timeline). The RPM is in Green and can be seen dropping flat to zero and then returning to normal.

It looks like the ECU is seeling a loss in Engine RPM (Crankcase sensor ?) and this is causing the engine to cut out sometimes and the logged faults.

Any ideas of what could be causing it or what to do next ?
I'm thinking it could be the cause of the fault - P0336-64 28 Crankshaft position sensor A circuit range/performance - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure
Unfortunately, I accidentally cleare the Faults without capturing them this time however I have seen the Crankshaft position sensor Faults previously.

Many thanks

Post #428402 19th Feb 2017 6:09pm
GraemeS

I'm sure that the lack of a crankshaft position sensor is the reason why the engine falters, stops and wont start. The reason the the lack of signal will have to be investigated.

Post #428432 19th Feb 2017 8:00pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

My money is on the crank position sensor.

The engine isn't seeing the crank turning, then you get a signal, then when it shuts of for a sec or 2 it loses the signal again.

Had the same symptoms on my van, was the crank sensor, which on that was on the flywheel. We pulled the diagnostics on a solus and the graph looked very similar. Thumbs Up

just had a quick look at rave, the crank sensor is inside the bell housing on the back of the engine, behind the flywheel, it is not clear if the flywheel and gearbox have to come off, it doesnt say so, however it looks an awkward Censored of a job. Starter motor out then if I'm reading the diagrams right there are a couple of brackets which need taking off, then the sensor can be removed through a small inspection panel on the side of the bell housing. It picks up its signal from the centre of the crank. On my Van it took the signal from the edge of the flywheel so was really easy to change. the instructions in rave are pretty sparse, just says take off starter, remove bracketry (pics) then shows the small panel and a shot of where the sensor is less the flywheel and gearbox (I'm assuming these can stay in place) There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #428435 19th Feb 2017 8:11pm
GraemeS

I expect the sensor / trigger to be the same setup as the TDV6 which uses the same sensor part number. The TDV6 trigger ring is pressed onto the crankshaft and the sensor pokes in deep from the side of the block and is retained by a single bolt. The sensor part number has been superseded twice since the 2011/2012 production version. The TDV8 sensor is mounted on the RHS of the block whereas the TDV6's is mounted on the LHS.

Post #428444 19th Feb 2017 8:54pm
bwelton

Yes, I think its time to get the Crankshaft Position Sensor (LR049872) replaced.

Looking at the workshop manual, it needs to be done on ramps with quite a bit of clearance.

Question is who can I get to do it ?

Anybody had it done before ? what did it cost ? I know the part is £147 from Dan, but not sure on fitting cost. Should go main dealer or indie ?

Post #429293 26th Feb 2017 4:29pm
KRAMSNEHPETS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

has your car been fixed, noticed my car did the same today several time when driving, a second or 2 of what felt like no power no dash light come on though

Post #431601 18th Mar 2017 10:12pm
bwelton

SOLVED Surprised Smile Very Happy

The cause of the engine cutting out intermittently problem was the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I've had it replaced, on its own as this version of the sensor does not need the Ring replacing which is fortunate as that is a much bigger job requiring gearbox removal.

I've been running a week or so now with no issues.

Many thanks to all those whom contributed to the diagnosis.

Overall if you do experience these cutting out symptoms or a stall, then the use of the IIDTool for diagnosis is hugely helpful. Check back in the post for the method of my diagnosis.

Thanks all. -------------------------------------
MY 2012 4.4 TDV8

Post #431642 19th Mar 2017 5:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>