Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > New member researching before buying
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FD

New member researching before buying

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right place to post my first message. Apologies if not.

Currently driving a lightly modified VW T5 shuttle but fancy a change. Previous owner of a Series 3 and a couple of defenders so I already have the Land Rover bug. But I have a couple of car owning boxes I need to tick... I have never owned a Range Rover and I've never owned a petrol V8. So I've registered here!

Great site and it's been really useful so far informing me what I want to buy. Currently leaning towards a 2005 BMW V8 petrol with sub 120,000 miles. In order of preference colours - Silver, Grey, Black, Blue.

So my questions are-
Is it possible to find a BMW engined V8 with the touch screen multimedia player - MOST?
What spec car will I need to aim for to ensure heated rear seats?
In 2005 did the factory supply cars with rear entertainment and how common is that?
What sort of money should I be looking at for a tidy FSH car with my requirements met?

I'm sure there's more I need to ask so please feel free to offer guidance. I have been an active contributor to landyzone, vwt4forum and mk1golf forums in the past and intend to do the same here... once I have something useful to give back at least!

Cheers
FD

Post #424103 21st Jan 2017 2:27pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

You are on the crossover point from the old BMW engine to the AJV8 jag engine, and also the point at which the RFL increases.

Arguably the AJV8 is a better engine gearbox combination, though apparently is harder to put on gas, I don't think there were any BMW V8s with the touch screen nav as that was based on the ford architecture and not BMW.

In terms of the heated rear seats, AFAIK all vogue and above models have them, so pretty much all cars out there, RSE is a different matter. It can be found on earlier cars, however IMHO its not worth bothering with. It add more complexity to the car and is another thing to go wrong, along with being over 10 years old now so quite clunky.

You are much better off with iPads, and wireless headphones and a couple of cheap iPad holders, much more versatile and a route many have taken. Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #424118 21st Jan 2017 4:30pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Welcome.

There's a buyers guide on the wiki - top right under the fullfat.com logo Thumbs Up

A BMW engined touch screen car Might be possible, but I don't think so - the touch screen was post BMW when they switched to Ford electronics.

There is a normally aspirted Jag 4.4 engine in those cars and apparently a better unit than the BMW one.

Post #424119 21st Jan 2017 4:32pm
FD

Thanks Guys, good advice.

I was thinking BMW engine having read on here that it was easier to add lpg if I chose to in the future but as my annual mileage is likely to be around 5000 there would be a long payback period, so perhaps I'll not worry so much about which petrol engine I find. The touch screen is more important to me. RSE, I hadn't considered the age of the unit and that's a really good point. A separate arrangement, either iPad or standalone sounds like a better option and opens up my search as well.

So - a tidy 05 or 55-plate V8 petrol Vogue with FSH and under around 120k miles in silver, grey, black or blue. Looking online I'm seeing cars from about £6500 that meet that. I'm sure at that point they are unlikely to pass the buyers guide test though! By the way, excellent guide. Thank you!

Do Range Rovers experience any seasonal variations in price? i.e. Stronger prices in autumn/winter? One of my recent cars, a Mk1 Golf Cabrio certainly did!

Cheers

Post #424125 21st Jan 2017 4:47pm
bishbosh10

United Kingdom 

In my experience, some cars get more expensive as winter approaches and correspondingly cheaper in the summer. It is not universal though and probably not worth the wait if you find the perfect car in the middle of winter! Bish.

2005 110 TD5 CSW
2011 TDV8 Vogue SE (gone)

Post #424226 22nd Jan 2017 12:16pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Alistair wrote:

A BMW engined touch screen car Might be possible, but I don't think so - the touch screen was post BMW when they switched to Ford electronics.

The 2005MY BMW engined RR had MOST touch screen. If the OP is looking for the Jag engine it was introduced in the 2006MY. The early 2006MY motors may have a 2005 plate. The OP needs to be looking for a 2006MY to get the Jag engine. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #424231 22nd Jan 2017 12:26pm
FD

Thanks guys, that's helpful.

I like the idea of a 05/55 reg car so that I can get the touch screen media system while keeping to the lower pre 2006 tax. I thought the BMW engine would allow me a more straightforward route to fitting LPG if I increase my mileage or decide to keep the car for a long time i.e. I am able to see some payback in the cost of installing it.

I have been browsing today though and realise that for the extra £220 a year tax for a post-2006 car I would get a potentially better engine and gearbox. If the combined figures can be believed (BMW V8 - 17.4mpg vs Jag V8 - 18.9mpg) the higher tax would be off set in 14,500 miles per year.

The search goes on...

Post #424296 22nd Jan 2017 6:14pm
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I have a Jag engined 07 MY on LPG since nearly new, now 90 K MLS, and as long as it has been well seviced and it has the self lube sys. you won't have any probs.

Post #424305 22nd Jan 2017 7:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1