Home > Technical (L322) > Zf 5hp24 input shim
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Phils

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Zf 5hp24 input shim

Hi all
I am rebuilding my box and come across a snag, input shat free play is too big, over .6mm.
As such I need a thicker shim for my box, 2.2 mm zf part number 0730 109 666
Does anyone know where i could get one, jpat dont have one.

Post #405399 19th Sep 2016 3:28pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

RRPhil of course, he just started his own company specialized in your box !! MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #405425 19th Sep 2016 5:51pm
Phils

Always assuming he has one.
Rrphil is a great resource, both in ability and advice.
And i was kind of hoping he moght reply, i thought he was still playing for fun though?
If he is officially trading i would phone up and bother him....!

Post #405426 19th Sep 2016 5:57pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic38676.html?highlight=5hp24 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #405429 19th Sep 2016 6:12pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

I'll have to double-check in the morning but I generally have 1.8, 2.0, 2.2 & 2.4mm shims in stock. They're ridiculously expensive though (£12.30 +VAT)

Click image to enlarge

Do you need a rear shim too?

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #405499 20th Sep 2016 12:25am
Phils

Not sure yet.
I imagine not as that part of the box swop is internal and case common.
The front is not, 32 case 34 internal 34 pump.
Which leads me to something i have been meaning to ask about. When i was deciding which pump to use i saw that the pump from the 034 box had 034 on it. I had assumed they would be the same till then, but based on that i felt i had to use that pump. I suspect that is why i have this increased shim requirement. Anyway, is there a difference?
I should really check the rear play, i was just avoiding moving the box till i had to as its vertical on my stand at the moment.
I will do later this morning.

Post #405506 20th Sep 2016 6:53am
Phils

Checked

As expected the output play feels non existant, measuring as well as i can as it slightly short of spec but i can not really pull hard enough or press hard enough so i am confident it is in spec.
So its just the front one i need.
If you have one i would be verygratefull if you could post today, i am going to spain and the boat show over both the next few weekends and would like the box in before i go.
I will pm my phone email and address so you can contact me or bill me by paypal or call for card details if you want.

Post #405522 20th Sep 2016 10:31am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Just checked and I have 4-off 2.0mm, 2-off 2.2mm and 3-off 2.4mm in stock at the moment.

Click image to enlarge

It never ceases to amaze me that despite the fact there are around 15 dimensions involved in the tolerance stack up, and therefore a range of shim thicknesses available from 1.4mm to 3.0mm, ZF’s consistent/repeatable machining capability meant that the vast, vast majority of transmissions that left the factory had a 1.8mm input shim in them.

Click image to enlarge

Regarding the oil pump being marked ‘034’, as far as I’m aware all 24 models of the 5HP24 were fitted with identical pumps – they certainly have the same part numbers. Whereabouts did you see the number marked?

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #405525 20th Sep 2016 11:05am
Phils

I missed that last question.
By memory it was on themain pump body. Just to be sure i fit the 035. On stripping it was perfect....

I do have a question about my rebuild, which you have answered before i just can not find the answer....

As you know i did an 035 swopup and tc change to suit.
How much oil should i cold fill it with?
I have a remote fill tube installed so i can do full oil fill from cold.

Unless you say this will cause a problem. I am not an expert but my thought is the higher level of oil would slowly creep intp pump and therefore help reduce pump wear on first start?

Post #424384 23rd Jan 2017 10:28am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

You are confusing me with references to the ‘035’ transmission. The ‘035’ model of the 5HP24 was fitted to the 4.8 litre Alpina B10 & Roadster. I think that yours is a Range Rover fitted with the 4.6 litre engine, so you’ve converted a ‘034’ transmission to fit in a ‘032’ casing, is that correct?

The dry fluid capacity of the ‘032’ is 9.7 litres and for the ‘034’ it is 10.6 litres (due to the larger torque converter). Dry means dry, so you should only add this amount of fluid if there was no fluid whatsoever in the torque converter when it was installed. For your ‘032/034 hybrid’ model I would use ZF’s recommendation of a cold fill of 9.88 litres followed by a 0.7 litre ‘top-up’ during the final level check, with the engine running and the fluid at 40°C.

The pump is sited well above the static fluid level. Its capacity at tickover is around 23 litres/minute, which would drain the whole sump in less than half-a-minute, so I really wouldn’t worry about the possibility of pump wear.

Phil

Post #424544 24th Jan 2017 10:48am
Phils

Sigh, good job i did not claim to be an expert.....

Yes 034, i would claim a typo, but i just got it wrong. My excuse is too many jobs on at the same time, one of the other gearboxes i am fiddling with uses grease, its a 1924 box.....back to the point.

On the oil, because i have a remote fill and level check tube i was going to pour a full fill in in one go. Ie the 10.6.
But as zf have a procedure i will follow that. Although i think 10 then .6 is close enogh and easier to do.

The tc was rebuilt and i assume dry, i did not put oil in and none dribbled out so i am assuming jpat supply dry.

I have decided to go with pentosil based on your previous posts. The only thing about a full cold fill that worried me was the oil getting aerated. But clearly not an issue if zf use this procedure.
Thanks

Post #424552 24th Jan 2017 12:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1