Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Electrical gremlins?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ticketyboo Too

Ireland 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Electrical gremlins?

My battery went flat for no apparent reason, new replacement not holding charge and voltage down to around 11.3v (according to voltage reading on head unit). Alternator removed and reconditioned and put back, car ran for a day and now refuses to fire up. I have the dreaded orange flashing light in the head unit since New Year's Eve and no Sat Nav, Radio, CD, Phone etc. Only the RangeRover screen. I did the 753 hack (hence the voltage reading) and it's telling me no TV/DVD fitted - it has digital TV unit but no DVD/RSE. Is there any possibility that the two issues - Head Unit malfunction and failure to start - are related? (No signs of moisture ingress in rear left area either. Big Cry Big Cry FF MY2010 3.6 tdV8 VogueSE

Post #424461 23rd Jan 2017 7:44pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

this from the wiki might help,

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post248527.html#248527

Post #424467 23rd Jan 2017 8:13pm
Ticketyboo Too

Thanks Stan, I'll try this in daylight. Thumbs Up FF MY2010 3.6 tdV8 VogueSE

Post #424471 23rd Jan 2017 8:24pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle have you had the boot floor up? it could be hiding a swimming pool Whistle

Mine was Sad drowned the DSP amp Big Cry Which is far more vulnerable as it sits on the floor, the TV tuner and radio boxes float an inch above Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #424511 23rd Jan 2017 11:32pm
Ticketyboo Too

Hi Miggit, no I didn't - oh Lord! The 753 hack was leading me to believe TV unit and I was going to bypass per the fix for the Nokia BT unit with the fibre optics (my one doesn't have the Nokia unit), but best check the cavernous well where the spare sits first eh? Shocked Shocked FF MY2010 3.6 tdV8 VogueSE

Post #424516 24th Jan 2017 12:15am
miggit

United Kingdom 

That's where it will sit if there is a problem Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #424540 24th Jan 2017 9:27am
Ticketyboo Too

Just taken a look, and given myself a hernia lifting the spare out, with no signs of any moisture at all - a few dead spiders and Christmas tree needles but nothing else. Panel still says no TV/DVD fitted, when checking video inputs I get a clear picture from the rear view camera, and of course there is no companion camera fitted.
The fact that I get the RangeRover screen and can access the 753 menu suggests to me that there is either a fuse issue with some of the audio/video components - I need to investigate further today. FF MY2010 3.6 tdV8 VogueSE

Post #424541 24th Jan 2017 9:34am
miggit

United Kingdom 

Might be a bad fibre optic connection (loose), or a broken cable (optical) but how you go about checking them I know not Sad

Rolling Eyes I'm on the inferior, but easier to fix copper BMW setup Rolling Eyes Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #424593 24th Jan 2017 5:24pm
Ticketyboo Too

Yep, when I looked at the fibre optics at the BT unit one of the cables was a flashing red light source rather than constant (for whatever reason I was expecting constant but I'm not sure that that is even correct) and when I mated the two ends it made not a hill of beans difference...
I think it may be time to hand it over to an automotive electronics bod who will probably have more bounce than the bafoons at the local LR Dealership who won't change tyres for you or replace trim properly, or follow up corrosion issues professionally (the joys of RR ownership). FF MY2010 3.6 tdV8 VogueSE

Post #424595 24th Jan 2017 5:29pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

As far as I know you can get a joiner that enables you to remove units on the light bus (or what ever it's called!) that way you could remove an item and see if the blinking light stops, if not reconnect it and go to the next in the chain. The chances are there's a unit having a fit and taking everything else with it.... After all it was designed to replace the hard wired BMW system, and when a unit in the BMW system fails it takes half the car with it Shocked

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #424669 24th Jan 2017 10:21pm
Ticketyboo Too

Well,she's back home after a lengthy spell in the garage. I have to say that my local mechanic did an outstanding job of fault-finding, and traced it all the way back from the MOST Head Unit to a defective pin a pug on a coms BUS located in the rear left compartment. He changed the pin and all is absolutely A1, and he didn't charge the earth (unlike the local Stealer) so he's assured of repeat business that's for sure.
Very, very happy to have the lady back. FF MY2010 3.6 tdV8 VogueSE

Post #427220 10th Feb 2017 6:06pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Good to hear that it's back to normal Thumbs Up Was it water related? and should you possibly think about a new tailgate seal? Only I left mine too long and it took out multiple units Shocked Big Cry Big Cry If there is a problem with the seal then there will more than likely be a puddle in the wheel well... mine was more like a swimming pool Laughing Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #427224 10th Feb 2017 6:32pm
Ticketyboo Too

Hi Miggit, nope - not water related. The interior (in all places) was bone dry but there was an issue with the pin which had evidently been there from day one and over time had got to the point where it gave up. There's enough wire in the car to replace the National Grid of Namibia and once he'd identified which wire it was that was devoid of current he then had to trace back to the point of failure - quite the task, job well done. Took it on a lengthy drive last night when it was below zero, so the heating was on, seats, lights, audio, nav, and checked battery voltage and all was good at the end of the journey so hopefully that's her had her fit for 2017 - she's immaculate and has never put a foot wrong up until now so fingers crossed. Wink FF MY2010 3.6 tdV8 VogueSE

Post #427284 11th Feb 2017 11:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1