Home > General > New 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Owner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Class_5

England 
New 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Owner

Hello All,

I've been lurking around here for a while now and used the excellent advice posted here to help source in November last year a 2004 L322 Vogue V8, black with grey interior and Prins LPG conversion.

The L322 has more miles on the clock than I really wanted (130k), but it does have very good documented service history and the LPG system is still under warranty. It had almost new tyres all round, and quite a few of the common failure points had been recently dealt with.

So, early December we are off to visit friends and the passenger door wouldn't unlock (my Wife had to sit in the back, not impressed). Get it booked into local indy and luckily on way there the passenger door unlocked when I pressed the interior switch, so at least they could open the door to change the door latch.

Two days later I accidentally pressed one of the driver's set memory buttons and the drivers seat rose to maximum height, found I couldn't lower the seat because the switch panel was faulty. Sourced new seat control panel which fixed that.

Following week I was approaching my house and there was a sound like a wailing banshee Shocked turned into my drive and lost power steering. Turned out the alternator had seized solid and melted the drive belt. When the alternator was removed it was found the 1 1/2 year old radiator had started to leak Twisted Evil

Yesterday, lumpy running (see my thread 'Plea for Help Before My Wife Kills Me' thread in L322 technical...)

Currently feeing a bit sorry for myself, Wife going on and on about the pile of junk I've bought Rolling Eyes

I went into L322 ownership understanding the pitfalls and potential expense of ownership, but just feeling a tad unlucky that I've had so many problems so quickly.

Post #425394 29th Jan 2017 3:33pm
b348xyx

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Hehe its all about owning a land rover Razz

you should have read my post before buying Smile

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39687.html 2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 - Adriatic blue

2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 -Maintenance History Click Here = http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39687.html

Post #425404 29th Jan 2017 4:06pm
Markjohns1

United Kingdom 

Sure it will come good in the end ,if your useing it everyday shouldnt take long for all the niggly faults to come to light and hopefully you will have loads of trouble free driving.Find yourself a good indy and get a good service and inspection of the vehicle so you have an idea of what may or may not be round the corner. Full fat 4.2 Sc
Full fat vogue 4.4 petrol
Jaguar XJR super charged
Porsche cayenne
Tvr tuscan mk1
Bmw mini cooper

Post #425411 29th Jan 2017 4:46pm
Class_5

England 

Yes, agreed, it's all about owning a Land Rover Rolling Eyes

b348xyx - my gearbox was rebuilt at about 89,000, was going to get the transmission, diff and transfer box oils replaced this week, but recent woes have delayed that. How did you get the timing chains replaced Shocked huge job? and worries me a bit with 130k on the clock...

In all honesty, I'm just a bit disappointed that that all the problems have occurred so close together - but I'm trying to look on the bright side and convince myself once the pumps done it should last for the time I keep the LR.

What my wife forgets (bless her) is that her Nissan Qashqui left her stranded three times in the first 18 months of ownership from brand new, and spent more than 6 weeks in a Nissan Main Dealer for attempted fixes.

The indie who sorted the door latch is very good, but insist on using 'genuine' LR parts and won't fit anything else or customer supplied - so are pretty pricey. Safari Engineering are very near me, so might give them a try:

http://www.safari-engineering.co.uk

Post #425417 29th Jan 2017 5:08pm
Jon G

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Bought my 2004 4.4 in August with 82K on the Clock and it's had to be recovered 3 Times now, twice with the Caravan.
Cooling System problems and a failed alternator but I think I've got on top of them now.
Thing is when it's good it's very good so that keeps me plugging away with it.
I'll get through it's issues and I'm sure I'll end up with a fantastic motor at the end of it.

Post #425477 29th Jan 2017 9:25pm
Class_5

England 

Sorry to hear that Jon - I'm just a bit down in that both failures I've had have been instant and kept the vehicle off the road with no prior warning to enable me to plan for repairs.

Post #425622 30th Jan 2017 2:55pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

@class5,

I have had my 2004 v8 petrol for 6 years now and apart from 2 water pumps and radiator, in that time she has been perfect and relentlessly reliable.

In the last 6 months though Have just had the chain guides and chains done (£3000) and then had fuel pump replaced and now alternator bearing Has lunched itself. So no matter how well you look after things, it can all go Pete tong at once.

Keep the faith and take solace in that there is no better place to sit than in an FFRR. 👻🕺👍🤸‍♀️

Post #442498 23rd Jun 2017 11:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1