Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > HELP electrics gone mad
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zambezi

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
HELP electrics gone mad

After about 25 miles of towing yesterday a warning came up "slow down". It flashed up a few times and then went away. When I did stop, "select neutral" came up too. The transfer box went into low ratio and neutral and wouldn't go into high. After leaving the car for about 20 minutes and several attempts the transfer box went back into high and I was able to drive off. This happened again after a further 15 miles but again managed to sort it out by waiting and toggling the high/low switch.
When I got home and off loaded the car from the trailer, I noticed the brake lights were on the [/b] were on despite the car being locked and the key was in my pocket. When I unlocked the Range Rover (key not in the ignition) the gauges were all erratic as was the radio. I was unable to turn the key in the ingnition. There were lots of clicking noises and so I quickly disconnected the battery in case of electrical fire. The RR was parked on a slight slope with the front pointing down. I've looked up ignition switch problems but that wouldn't explain the brake lights being on when nobody in the car.
Any idea what could be happening and how to fix ? I had a new screen fitted 3 months ago but car has been fine since... until yesterday ...
Thanks
David 2002 4.4 V8 with LPG
Zambezi silver

Post #427702 14th Feb 2017 12:28pm
mr_spock

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Usual starting point is to check for a low battery. I'm not sure that explains gauges behaving strangely without the key in though. Maybe a shorted cable in the battery area? It's kind of near the bottom of the screen, but I'm guessing now.

Post #427860 15th Feb 2017 12:28pm
Zambezi

Thanks Mr Spock
The battery is fine and confusingly, I disconnected the trailer electrical connector (which includes a converter for the 13 pin on the trailer to the 7 pin of the RR) and then reconnected the RR battery.
The RR started on the first attempt and settled down without any problems. Turning the steering wheel fully left and then right cleared all the usual warning lights and everything works as it should.
I did find moisture in the 13 pin to 7 pin trailer connector but don't see how this could cause the problems I had.
As it's a sunny and breezy day, I've left the bonnet up, doors open and boot open with the covers to the electrics on either side of the boot removed to possibly dry things out as I thought water must have got into the RR somewhere to cause the issues it had.
Zambezi silver

Post #427869 15th Feb 2017 1:40pm
Joe90

England 

Could be two things:

1. Transmission got hot. May need to check radiator for being blocked up in the lower half, and the trans oil cooler?
2. Trailer electrics causing short circuits elsewhere? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #427895 15th Feb 2017 6:31pm
Zambezi

Thanks Joe90 (there was a series !)
The gearbox has had a new oil cooler and pipework in the past year and so I'm reasonably confident that the gearbox is ok.
How would I check the transfer box oil level ?
I hope the electrics are OK but it has dented my confidence in the car. Having looked on-line at the electrical gremlins, most seem to be caused by water ingress which is what I feared for mine.
Touch wood no permanent damage has been done.
Thanks
Zambezi silver

Post #427902 15th Feb 2017 6:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1