Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Diesels, DPFs's or Petrol - looking to buy an L322?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
insiorc

Scotland 
Diesels, DPFs's or Petrol - looking to buy an L322?

Hello Folks

I've just popped over from the RRSport site as I'm thinking of going 'fullfat'... I've had Land Rover's now over 10 years with still having a MY99 Defender 90 TD5, MY96 Range Rover 4.6 V8 and MY13 RRSport SDV6 - I have often wondered how I've suffered the pain Laughing

My P38 is looking like it might need work which is bad timing as I've recently taken my Defender off the road for preservation upgrades, and although I'd been thinking of keeping the P38 as a future classic, I don't have time nor money to work on both cars at the same time - it might have to go (wife's orders) Big Cry .

So, onto the L322, I'm thinking I'd like one of the 2007 facelift models, preferably a 3.6 V8 diesel due to the fact that I'm currently towing up to 3.5t with the P38 but the petrol gauge drops faster than the rev counter rises! But this L322 would only be doing short journeys of about 7 miles each way so my question is mainly based round diesels and clogging. From what I can read online the 2007 3.6 is pre-DPF, when did the DPF's start getting fitted as I could broaden my search accordingly? Does anybody driving short journeys find much issues? My wife has given up driving the RRSport now as all she hears is "DPF" when nipping to the local shop Rolling with laughter

I see loads of 140k+ milers for sale but there's a few around my target of 80 - 100k aswell, but is there any need to rule out the higher mileage L322's, petrol or diesel?

Any advice would be great, thanks

Dennis MY13 Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6
MY96 Range Rover HSE P38 4.6 V8 - the reason I can't afford new cars...
MY99 Defender TD5, Soft Top Conversion
IIDTool BT

Post #428475 20th Feb 2017 5:37am
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi , very far from an expert but i believe the petrol is better for short trips as the diesel doesn't get up to tenp quickly my 2007 is a full LR service history until i got and had over the top servicing since , one left so far
With a turbo blowing. I think DPFs started 2010 but again not an expert 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #428479 20th Feb 2017 9:04am
crookedm

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Hi, I had a 2007 3.6 TDV8 VSE and made the decision to get rid of it due to the usual Land Rover fun ( Sad ) but mostly because having that power to drive to work when it was a 40 mile round trip wasn't bad but then my job moved and it became a 10 mile round trip. I figured I'd end up blowing the turbos or really screwing the engine as it would never warm up.

I hear petrol have less issues (could all be just pot luck) but my 2007 was fantastic when it was on the road. Trying not to sound negative lol as they are really truly the best car you can own. I miss mine hugely and will no doubt be returning to one.

I can't recommend the 3.6TDV8 enough though but thats because I've only had that one! High mileage ones where an avoidable feature until I worked out that they are actually to some degree better than lower mileage ones due to the possibility they've actually been driven further distances each trip vs nipping to the shops.

Good luck and enjoy your search.

Post #428572 20th Feb 2017 9:28pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I have a high miler tdv8 and is the nicest car I've owned. But for short trips I would buy a facelift L322 with the petrol Jag 4.2SC or 4.4na. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #428584 20th Feb 2017 10:06pm
insiorc

Scotland 

Thanks folks for your thoughts.

Yes petrol probably is the sensible option for this vehicles intended use, I just like the low down torque of a diesel when towing so I guess I was hoping someone would persuade me that the diesel would be perfect. Once my Defender eventually get's it's tart up then it'll resume the heavier towing, leaving the L322 for relatively lightweight caravan pulling and getting the wife to work. So, onto reading up on 4.2 SC's.

If I was really sensible I'd get a frugal car for the wife's work, but we bought a Jaguar XF a year ago then got shot of it after 9 month as it just couldn't do what we were used to in the 'Green Ovals'....

Thanks again

Dennis MY13 Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6
MY96 Range Rover HSE P38 4.6 V8 - the reason I can't afford new cars...
MY99 Defender TD5, Soft Top Conversion
IIDTool BT

Post #428649 21st Feb 2017 3:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1