Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > gearbox delay when cold?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
javal322

2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
gearbox delay when cold?

hi guys , im new here but have been following the forum for a while !

would any of you know why my 2005 td6 has a very long delay when pulling off in the morning?

just revs with no drive at all , sometimes does it during the day too ! , dosnt seem to be any pattern of why it suddenly moves but its like oil drain back or something not engaging properly?

be nice this is my first l322 and my first auto ! Smile

Post #428556 20th Feb 2017 8:32pm
Macca314

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Fuji White

Hello, does it come up with any messages in the message centre on the instrument cluster?

How many miles has she done? they start to suffer at around 80K, give or take depending how much towing she has done.

First thing i would do is to change the gearbox oil and filter. its not a hard job to do. measure the exact amount of fluid you drain, and refill with the same amount.

Post #428568 20th Feb 2017 9:20pm
javal322

hi , i get no warnings or messages , shes done 175k miles but the gearbox was replaced with a recon unit 15k ago by the previous owner , have just done a gearbox oil and filter change along with a full engine service too

Post #428570 20th Feb 2017 9:23pm
Macca314

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Fuji White

Hi do you know if the torque convertor was changed? was it a exchange unit or a second hand one?
do you get a slight vibration, that feels like its under your bum in the drivers seat.

Post #428578 20th Feb 2017 9:53pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Mine's done that when it's been left a few days and it's cold. Done it for years. Only lasts a few metres though.

Post #428581 20th Feb 2017 10:00pm
javal322

Macca314 wrote:
Hi do you know if the torque convertor was changed? was it a exchange unit or a second hand one?
do you get a slight vibration, that feels like its under your bum in the drivers seat.

i dont know about the torque converter , i have been wondering if thats suspect as something feels like its slipping under load , not free revving but locked and slipping? like when its changed up too many gear accidently it sits at low revs but feels like something isnt quite right

this is my first auto though so it could be perfectly normal , she seems to rev quite high in generall too , way higher than most autos iv been in passenger

Post #428600 21st Feb 2017 2:08am
javal322

KurtVerbose wrote:
Mine's done that when it's been left a few days and it's cold. Done it for years. Only lasts a few metres though.

how long does yours take to start moving? this can be anywhere from 0-30 secs ! , just sits there freely revving

sometimes going up the gears in manual helps speed the process up

Post #428601 21st Feb 2017 2:09am
gregdav

England 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

A few seconds for mine, however, I have noticed if I let it tick over a little while, she engages a lot quicker.
A lot of td6 peeps on here have reported this from time to time.
The td6 is probably the worst out of all the ff's. I haven't driven any other one , bjt by all accounts it's the noisiest.
Which I can understand as it's a 3litre in a 2.5 ton body, then to top it all they gave it an even crappier g/box, which isn't really up to the job.
anyway, I'm still happy with mine.
Greg. Thumbs Up

Post #428606 21st Feb 2017 8:00am
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

May not be the same thing but we had that in ours a while back, but only going into reverse. It turned out it was a crack in the valve block which was causing a pressure loss. Not sure if the entire process but a pm to RRphil would be an idea.

Post #428612 21st Feb 2017 9:50am
javal322

gregdav wrote:
A few seconds for mine, however, I have noticed if I let it tick over a little while, she engages a lot quicker.
A lot of td6 peeps on here have reported this from time to time.
The td6 is probably the worst out of all the ff's. I haven't driven any other one , bjt by all accounts it's the noisiest.
Which I can understand as it's a 3litre in a 2.5 ton body, then to top it all they gave it an even crappier g/box, which isn't really up to the job.
anyway, I'm still happy with mine.
Greg. Thumbs Up

yeah mine is quite a long time and very random , dosnt seem to do it when hot or having already been driven a mile or so

i did wonder about sound deadning under the bonnet with dynamat or similair , its not a very luxury vehicle revving its tits off lol !

Post #428640 21st Feb 2017 1:34pm
javal322

PaulTyrer wrote:
May not be the same thing but we had that in ours a while back, but only going into reverse. It turned out it was a crack in the valve block which was causing a pressure loss. Not sure if the entire process but a pm to RRphil would be an idea.

that sounds similair to my issue but mines in drive , if you put it in manual SOMETIMES seems to engage quicker but still takes a while , do you have a link to his profile? still new on this forum so learning how to use it lol

Post #428642 21st Feb 2017 1:35pm
Glenn*

2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I had this just recently , bought in july with a rebuilt gear box which had only done a few hundred miles.
could reverse out the drive [ slight gradient] no problem first thing and drive all day no issues.
Drive forwards out of drive first thing and would just rev with slight movement, Or I would then select manual/sport and it would drive out ok and no problems all day.
another way I tested was to put in manual/ sport move forward a foot and then select Drive and again all was well.
the gaurantee was not woth the paper it was Written on , so got a local gear box to check and 1 soloution was to fit a upgraded valve block [ sonax].
however by pure chance and before i found this club, i spoke with a guy who had several L322 ff and he asked me to check that I had the correct gear box oil Texaco.
sure enough it had not and so I had the gear box flush and the correct oil and new filter put in and for me it has worked and all is well.
Hope this helps as it turns out was a cheaper soloution to having a new vaLve block or another rebuild

Post #428644 21st Feb 2017 1:55pm
PaulTyrer

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Cairns Blue

Have a look at this thread. Didnt realise yours is a TD6, mine is a 4.4 Petrol V8

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic7271.h...ox+reverse

Post #428661 21st Feb 2017 4:46pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

javal322 wrote:
KurtVerbose wrote:

how long does yours take to start moving? this can be anywhere from 0-30 secs ! , just sits there freely revving

sometimes going up the gears in manual helps speed the process up

It moves straight away, but there's no creep and it requires a bit of throttle. Maybe you have a different issue.

Post #428689 21st Feb 2017 8:01pm
javal322

Glenn* wrote:
I had this just recently , bought in july with a rebuilt gear box which had only done a few hundred miles.
could reverse out the drive [ slight gradient] no problem first thing and drive all day no issues.
Drive forwards out of drive first thing and would just rev with slight movement, Or I would then select manual/sport and it would drive out ok and no problems all day.
another way I tested was to put in manual/ sport move forward a foot and then select Drive and again all was well.
the gaurantee was not woth the paper it was Written on , so got a local gear box to check and 1 soloution was to fit a upgraded valve block [ sonax].
however by pure chance and before i found this club, i spoke with a guy who had several L322 ff and he asked me to check that I had the correct gear box oil Texaco.
sure enough it had not and so I had the gear box flush and the correct oil and new filter put in and for me it has worked and all is well.
Hope this helps as it turns out was a cheaper soloution to having a new vaLve block or another rebuild

mine has just had a gearbox service , the changes were much smoother and better after but my other issue seems to have got worse? , not sure what oil it has as it was from ebay?

Post #428724 22nd Feb 2017 12:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>