Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > There's now a 3.0 sc available - 335bhp
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
There's now a 3.0 sc available - 335bhp

Don't know if it's been mentioned before. Same engine also now available in the sport - which is reviewed here.

Post #429074 24th Feb 2017 7:19pm
w8pmc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

Had a look at the performance spec of these yesterday & it's about 0.3 seconds quicker to 60 than the TDV6 but with fuel economy on a par with the 5.0SC so i really can't see the point of this engine as it offers nothing.

LR also haven't made it available on the AB, only Vogue & VogueSE so must be some reason for that.

Post #429549 28th Feb 2017 6:20pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

I can't see the point either. Bad review as well.

Post #429554 28th Feb 2017 6:27pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

It is the fact we have such good diesels compared to 20 years ago (think 300 tdi) that petrol went the way it did. Diesel delivers much more low down torque with better fuel economy. That Genie is out of the bottle now so until the new petrols deliver all that effortless grunt from low down in the rev range the diesel will still be popular unless the Government tax them off the roads.

The 5.0 S/C is an awesome engine with masses of power, right up until you need to tow something when it becomes a nuisance to drive. It simply doesn't have the torque at 1500rpm to pull strongly, it needs to get the revs up. I've towed with both a 5.0 and a 4.4 SDV8, and i'll tell you straight out the diesel is vastly superior at this task.

Take that down to saloon cars, say a VW Passat. Which is easier and lazier to drive, the 2.0 diesel or the 1.8T petrol? It's the fact taht the log burner pulls like a train from low down in the revs, in every gear, without having to rev the nuts off it that people like, along with a smaller fuel bill. It can be overcome by using hulking great low compression V8 petrols but nobody wants the fuel bills that go with them.

The 3.0 S/C in the Range Rover is probably doomed sadly. A fine engine in the F-Type but the RR weighs a lot more. It's the worst of all worlds for a heavy car. Won't sell in Europe due to fuel costs, won't sell in the USA 'cos it's not a V8, same thing for the Middle East and so on. There isn't an obvious market for it.

Post #429570 28th Feb 2017 9:36pm
neo

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

But when diseasal is banned from everywhere you'll be left with petrol and petrol hybrid .....

Diseasal has no future and so in the short term something has to be offered.

Seems to me JLR have a bit of a problem on their hands until they get a decent hybrid out.

They have bet the farm on ingenium, largely at this point on the diseasal derivative, and it's not en vogue anymore .....

Post #429574 28th Feb 2017 10:19pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

There's a petrol ingenium hybrid coming out sometime soon-ish.

Post #429575 28th Feb 2017 10:47pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Slightly O/T, but didn't Volkswagen have a petrol engine 30 odd years ago which was both supercharged and turbocharged? That gave it lots of low rev torque with very good power further up the range....I'm thinking it might have been a Corrado but it could be something else.

Perhaps that kind of approach is the way forward. Diesel is very much moving out of favour but until there is an equivalent or better alternative it's hard to see it going away. It's the torque that everyone has got used to and old school petrols never had a lot of that in comparison.

Ingenium diesel is a clean engine though, far removed form the 200 tdi things of the past. It should have a decent life based on it being Euro-6 and pretty fuel efficient. I'm in a loaner Disco-Sport at the moment with the 2.0 Ingenium and 9 speed ZF. we went away with the caravan last weekend and it was giving pretty good economy with little effort to drive it. It pulls like a locomotive even with our large van on the back. I was kind of surprised it was so good TBH.

No pics, didn't happen

Click image to enlarge

Post #429587 1st Mar 2017 9:27am
caymanblack

This is the problem, the new diesels are so good that really no-one wants the petrols. Problem being is all this negative talk about diesel is what will happen? To be honest its pushed me more towards the 5.0SC when six months ago i was sure it was going to be the SDV8 4.4. Just not sure . Neutral

Post #429597 1st Mar 2017 12:15pm
w8pmc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

It's worth making the reminder that Diesels are far from dead, just the old stinky ones.

The Euro 6 & probably 5's are cleaner than any equivalent petrol engine so all this talk of the death of diesels ONLY relates to i assume Euro 4 & older. The ban in Paris & other cities again relates to diesels which would now be well over 10yrs old.

Looking at this 3.0SC it appears a totally pointless engine & won't have anything to do with the Diesel range as it's far more polluting than either the V6 or V8 diesel.

Post #429599 1st Mar 2017 12:19pm
neo

England 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

It's not just about the older diseasal though, and whilst EU5 and EU6 are considered 'ok' now this attitude will change in a couple of years.

Because to meet more and more stringent emissions more and more money has to be spent designing exhaust capture systems.... and given the advance of the alternatives there is not point in investing heavily in diseasal engines anymore.

Diseasal is far 'dirtier' than petrol in its basic state, and is considered as carcinogenic BEFORE you compress and burn it, never mind the particulates.....

There is only so much you can achieve with SRC and various exhaust traps, and the cost keeps mounting as do the servicing requirements.

They still use EGR valves as a means to reduce emissions - a design that recirculates exhaust back into the engine, what good does that do!?!? Not a lot for the engine especially on the intake side .....

It's an Elastoplast over an exposed compound fracture, that's all that is .....

Post #429665 1st Mar 2017 11:03pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

The supercharged V6 replaces the N/A 5.0 V8 everywhere it was available - default engine for the US etc.

Agree that diesel's days are numbered, and, given the economy everyone has got used to from modern diesels, it will be stick rather than carrot from governments. The increased Westminster diesel parking charge scheme penalises a Euro 6 diesel like any other, for example.

Post #430321 6th Mar 2017 11:24pm
javal322

2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

is it just me who thinks petrol engined rangies just cant compete with the moden diesel engines?
back in the day everyone wanted the bigger v8 petrol , nobody wanted the 2.4VM or the TDI

for me this has done a complete turn and now nobody really wants the petrols , you look at the older rangies back 2002-2007 and see what brings more money , thats without the more powerful diesels that came in the later years

for me as an all round vehicle especially as i do towing there is no contest to the diesel

as for hybrid/electric they will never get a place with me , especially in 4x4s

Post #430324 7th Mar 2017 12:38am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Re values - less economical versions will always depreciate more, but nobody in their right mind would choose a Td6 over a 4.4 petrol if they could justify the extra fuel costs.

Modern turbo diesel torque delivery definitely suits big, heavy cars - imagine people will have to get used to being penalised for choosing it until electric supercharging, electric torque-fill etc. is widespread on petrols. Electric motors deliver maximum torque from zero rpm, so pure electric cars should be great for towing and so on.

Post #430326 7th Mar 2017 1:00am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

Starting in 2018 Euro 5 Diesels and less will be banned on Stuttgart roads when the pollution on certain days is to high - but not my 5.0 l SC or the Jag XKRS Razz All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #430333 7th Mar 2017 7:31am
caymanblack

Its a problem thats getting worse . There are now quite a few threads about should i still buy a new Diesel, should i wait ,is diesel dead already appearing on Pistonheads.
Apart from the SC most of LRs best engines are Diesels and they are without doubt the best sellers.
Worrying though if you spend £100k on the SDV8 and it gets banned form most cities. Bad enough on the smaller cars which will eventually be worth nothing if this gathers pace.
Even looking at the new Velar i bet most will choose the Diesels as on paper they seem superior.

Post #430342 7th Mar 2017 9:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>