Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Eas question..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alistairh

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Eas question..

I currently have my instrument cluster sent away to get the pixels fixed.. out hardwiring a dash cam earlier and had the ignition on and a door open..
switches off ignition and shuts door and car rises? I didn't know it could do that without the engine being on..bags don't seem to be leaking and I'm wondering if it's because I've unplugged instrument cluster? Can't check with iid tool as it won't work for some reason . All it's saying is no connection with medium and fast can.. obviously the instrument cluster again.. just find the eas issue strange..

Post #429737 2nd Mar 2017 5:27pm
Stacker

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

I think you've answered your own question regarding the IID Tool... The data buses of the car use the instrument cluster as a 'gateway' between the different bus networks, so it's to be expected without it will cause that.

Regarding your EAS issue... I think it's pretty normal. The EAS ECU stays active for around 6 minutes after the ignition is switched off, for example if you press the button for access mode, and turn the ignition off and open a door before it has finished, when you shut the door it will continue to drop until it's where it should be.

Did the whole car rise, just the front back etc. ? I know the EAS commiunicates with the Instrument Cluster and not sure in what way, so I'm guessing either the car was auto levelling, or it was responding to some sort of default command becuase the IC isn't connected.

Was the car in access mode by any change? If so, I believe it would sound normal that if the EAS ECU loses communication with the instrument cluster, it would record a soft fault, so it will stay at the 'normal' height.

Hope this makes sense Smile 

Post #429744 2nd Mar 2017 5:43pm
alistairh

That makes a lot of sense buddy .car was in normal height and it appeared to only be the front that raised. The whole eas systems in hard fault since I've removed the cluster . I kind of never expected it to do that tbh. Just when you think you understand this car it throws a curveball at you Laughing thanks for input

Post #429752 2nd Mar 2017 6:05pm
Stacker

I'm not sure how true it is, but I always thought that when I get out the car and shut the door, the front will raise slightly to compensate the height difference of me sitting there... had you just got out?

This diagram should help you understand your issues better, it's the EAS Control diagram.

The OBD socket as I said, goes thought the Instrument Cluster (gateway)
and the air suspension ECU talks to the instrument cluster on the K-Bus!

Click image to enlarge

Post #429753 2nd Mar 2017 6:11pm
alistairh

I think that what it was tbh.. I was sat in the passenger seat wiring up a dashcam when it happened. Had engine on for a bit to heat myself up. Switched off ignition gets out and it then lifted. Cars has definitely been acting weird since the cluster has been removed...

Post #429758 2nd Mar 2017 6:49pm
alistairh

Noticed the viscous fan is on from start up and is consistently running? It usually settles down after initial start up. I'm wondering if that's linked as well? Leaving everything be just now until I get my speedo back.

Post #429760 2nd Mar 2017 6:55pm
Stacker

Sounds like thats what it was, don't worry too much. I know where you're coming from, with these cars you're almost waiting for something to go wrong!

I'm not sure about the fan to be honest, yours is a V8 isn't it? I know on the TD6 it constantly runs, not so familar with the V8 unfortunately. If it's not normal behaviour, i'm sure normal service will resume when you get the cluster back!

Out of interest, where did you send it? I know you're way up North so I'm guessing AK Speedo? I need to get mine done eventually, it's not stupidly bad and I have a kit to do it myself but not confident enough. There is a guy localish to me who will do it for £100... Or I can attempt it myself, mess it up and then it will be £100 to fix that, plus the £16 for the kit... 

Post #429764 2nd Mar 2017 7:21pm
alistairh

Yeah v8 petrol Steve. I used ak speedo, £80 all in and back to you within a day. Really good guys to deal with as well. I figured the fact the interiors in bits just now as I'm fitting piano black wood ect I would fix the speedo and fit a dash cam at the same time so made sense..

Post #429769 2nd Mar 2017 7:37pm
Stacker

Sorry I can't help with that then mate, v8 will be my next car however Wink

That's fair enough, I might just send to AK Speedo when the money becomes available and save myself the stress of breaking it Rolling with laughter 

Post #429773 2nd Mar 2017 7:40pm
alistairh

Aye definitely mate. I couldn't even remove the front lens from mine let alone install a new ribbon Laughing . Way out of my comfort zone with this job so farmed it out haha.. thanks for your help!

Post #429774 2nd Mar 2017 7:45pm
Stacker

No worries at all mate!

I've seen people mention that the MID is the hardest repair.. and i've done the successfully but just think i've got more to lose with the speedo! Mid cost me £20 delivered and I didn't NEED it, whereas I sort of need the speedo to drive Razz 

Post #429777 2nd Mar 2017 7:53pm
alistairh

Cluster refitted and cars behaving normal again. Fans at normal speed so i presume the cluster being removed has upset the kbus, can bus system to some extent and made it go mental. Eas is as how it should be as well. Thumbs Up

Post #429974 4th Mar 2017 3:05pm
Stacker

Glad to hear it mate Thumbs Up 

Post #429989 4th Mar 2017 6:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1