Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Dsp processor issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lew306red

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
Dsp processor issue

Hi all.
I'm having problems with my dsp processor / amp. Sometime last week the sound went completely all of a sudden without any warning then the main screen went dead.
After playing with the components in the boot and removing what I think is a hands free Bluetooth link the screen is back online. But the Dsp processor is no longer avaliable and still no sound. I have removed the plugs and the system link plug has corrosion on it. Is this enough to stop it from working? Some of the output wires are cut and multiple wires joined into one line. Could this have over loaded the outputs? Can the dsp be repaired?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post #429341 26th Feb 2017 10:43pm
Lew306red

Sorry it's a 2002 vogue, in the boot there are 5 items I can identify as, sat nav, TV tuner, bm54 amp, Dsp processor and in car phone.

Post #429346 26th Feb 2017 11:25pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

If the DSP has been given a bath then it will be fubar'd, happened to me, in the end I just ripped the lot out and fitted a Chinese all singing and dancing Nav TV DVD iPod thing and had done with it!... At the time it worked out cheaper, and the picture quality on the screen was very noticeably better Thumbs Up

FYI the BM54 has an amp built in, but it powers the DSP amp, if the DSP has gone down you'll get no sound as it is the final connections to the the speakers.

If the rest of the kit in the car is good then another DSP might be cost effective, but if anything else is suspect I'd recommend doing the "Android" upgrade Thumbs Up

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic29219.html Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #429356 27th Feb 2017 1:15am
Lew306red

Was hoping to get away with a cheap fix / dsp processor from a bmw to sort it. Will any dsp from a bmw with navigation fit? As I've seen a few in the USA for around £60
Cheers for the advice

Post #429382 27th Feb 2017 12:24pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

This is where I say yes and no Shocked

Yes they will fit, but the quality or them varies greatly, the ffrr had the Lear unit which is regarded as the most desireable on the BMW forums...So LR got something right Laughing

There are a lot of bits on the web about DSP amps and that they are coded to the car... this is sort of true.. they are mapped to the cars shape to get the best out of the system, so theoretically fitting a DSP from a different model of car will effect the sound quality Rolling Eyes But then there are just as many posts say no difference..

While there must be a difference, otherwise why tune it to the car, I think that you'd need a really good ear to tell the difference, but be aware!

Oh and read the small print on the adds, there are a lot of DSP amps being offered for sale at silly cheap money.. and when you read further they are for repair, i.e. they is dead Shocked And £60 in the States is not the final price at your front door, there will be shipping (that'll be quite high as they are heavy) and the HMRC will want their bit too, and then the Post Office will charge you for telling you that you owe customs Evil or Very Mad So your cheap £60 in the States could end up nearer £100 by the time everyone has had their bit, and it will take 3 weeks to arrive... I think I'd be using a UK seller and paypal, just incase it doesn't work Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #429394 27th Feb 2017 2:29pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Whistle And now you can see why I ditched the lot and went Ping Pong Whistle

Not to mention that I got a working 3D Nav, DVD, MP3, USB, iPod, HD Digital TV with stereo sound and greater definition, all for £160 Mr. Green

There are other plusses too, it's all in the dash, so it's not sitting in the swimming pool in the boot Rolling Eyes

FYI I didn't go for the Android unit, I went for a lesser spec as I was trying to get away from computers!! Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #429396 27th Feb 2017 2:37pm
Lew306red

Hi again, can you point me in the direction of how you did your upgrade for £160. I'm a dab hand with car maintenance and wiring.
Thanks

Post #429408 27th Feb 2017 3:50pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Right I brought an old stock DVD TV Nav thing direct from Erisin, and added a digital TV tuner to the Aux input... But I have just looked at their prices and it would appear that the super strong pound has kicked in and the prices have shot up Shocked However I did find this, it's from a UK agent, so no VAT etc... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-HD-Car-DVD-GPS...Swa~BYdfRp

I just followed the install instructions that Pete posted and I substituted the android unit for the lesser unit, that did almost as much.. well it did everything that I wanted Thumbs Up

It's up to you if you add the TV tuner or not... truth be known it's a bit of a gimmick, that I personally would not have bothered with... but it rather helped as a selling point when I sold the car, there are hundreds of L322's for sale but very few have working digital TV.

I also made my own loom, as I was too tight to pay £60 for a long cable, and you end up having to cut the BMW plug off and hard wire anyway, so I just used the short lead that came with the radio and a job lot of different coloured cable... although I could have done with a few more colours to make it even easier Rolling Eyes Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #429419 27th Feb 2017 4:39pm
Lew306red

Thanks that's perfect. Looking like I'm going to ditch the old system for that option. I just cannot justify the cost of a s/h dsp when I hate the satnav, and the cd changer has never worked.

Post #429429 27th Feb 2017 5:48pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

Well sat nav aside, your looking at £150 for a DSP and £50 for a CD.... Big pluses is the CD can be MP3, so thats 180 more tracks per disc than 1 CD in the ffrr system, or look at it another way you can get 80 more tracks on 1 disc!! Forgot to say that they have Bluetooth as well...

And then anything that you've got, and is still working, you can flog... the sad fact is had I have done this before it all had a bath I could have made a profit and get a free upgrade Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #429472 27th Feb 2017 9:17pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

These are a better fit in the ffrr, but have less functions http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-Series-E39...SwEzxYbfJU

And don't forget that you can add one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-170-N...SwmtJXX8wp

Takes a little trimming of the number plate lamp holder, but will fit, and you can see the bumper, so it's ideal if your parking bleepers go on strike, and if you tow is a major help as you can see the tow hitch. Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #429474 27th Feb 2017 9:25pm
Lew306red

Hi miggit. I'm sold on the idea of changing out the entire system. I just have a couple of questions before I go ahead. Can you use the in built fm and gps ariels? Also can you still set the analogue clock?
That's it.
Thanks

Post #429515 28th Feb 2017 12:02pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

FM aerial yes.. you'll need one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONNECTS-2-CT27A...SwZVlXvCRY

GPS aerial no.. but the unit that it comes with is so compact that it will sit under the top dash panel with out any issues

Clock is not so easy, there is a fuse that can be pulled, and on replacement the clock resets itself to 12 o'clock, so you have 2 chances a day!!

But when I did mine I didn't disconnect the battery or the seat, having removed the bolts I was able to lay it on its side behind the drivers seat and get to the bits that I needed... a helper is useful Rolling Eyes Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #429518 28th Feb 2017 12:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1