Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Part life expectancy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Part life expectancy

Anyone interested starting a part life expectancy thread? I'm a firm believer that keeping a vehicle as trouble free as possible. Most of the problems a vehicle encounters are due to poor or unknown maintenance. Maintenance schedules don't provide for advised replacement of a part based mileage most of the time. As an example a alternator may have an average life of 100k miles on one vehicle but 200k on another. Knowing what most people get out of that part would help plan for costs or replacement before it goes bad saving on the road expense.

Post #463786 8th Jan 2018 7:44pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

I don't personally think it would really help much. As you have already alluded to, every car to a greater or lesser extend will have different life expectancies of its parts. Its just the nature of the beast.

That being said, irrespective of service schedules, I generally believe that most modern design car go through a dip between 80k and 120k miles, which if you sort out the bits that need replaced, then it'll be good for the next 80 to 120k.

By that I primarily mean things like suspension bushes and subframe bushes,and suspension airbags. (i.e. perishable rubber after 8yrs in age ). that and gearbox oil / filter at that sort of time.

Beyond that its just your luck. V8 or else ...

Post #463843 8th Jan 2018 10:49pm
Stuart-

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I did my motoring formative years mostly on Volvos and Mercs, and they very seldom broke down. My love of Mercs was broken when I bought a three year old S Class. I never went back to Mercedes after that.

When I bought my Sport, it was 40 odd thousand miles. "What could go wrong at that mileage?" I thought. How wrong I was. Within a few months it developed every "known fault" the forums suggested possible, and seemed a total lemon. But suddenly, it stopped breaking every other week and has been trouble free for several years.

I've just bought a low miles FF. As yet I am unsure if it will spend the next year in and out of the garage or if this one will actually work. I am hopeful the FF is a better product than the RRS but time will tell. But that said, its first trip to the garage is already booked as the heaters are not blowing right, so we'll see.

I part exed the Merc S Class referenced above for a Chrysler 300C in late 05. In almost 13 years and about 80k miles that car has hardly given me a moments trouble. Routine servicing, some brakes, tyres, some suspension bushes, a battery and recently an alternator is all its ever needed. I'd happily jump in it and drive to London or Scotland. With an RR product I have to take out breakdown insurance to drive to Calais for the weekend. I once lived dangerously and went to Brussels without any........

I have an old Merc van (1998) that has been to the moon and back. I've had it almost a decade and it has hardly ever needed anything bar minimal MOT work, a fan belt and servicing.
I went to Russian border in it five years ago, and London in it only last week. It can stand for months and start. We wave an oily rag at it now and again. It just works.

Oh, I tell a lie, the radio we fitted about 7 years ago has gone on the blink - I must look at that. Its a "face off" radio cassette that was used when I fitted it. Rolling with laughter 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black
2018 D300 SE Velar in champagne
Spiffing wheel centre caps available

Post #463849 8th Jan 2018 11:22pm
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

fisha wrote:
I don't personally think it would really help much. As you have already alluded to, every car to a greater or lesser extend will have different life expectancies of its parts. Its just the nature of the beast.

That being said, irrespective of service schedules, I generally believe that most modern design car go through a dip between 80k and 120k miles, which if you sort out the bits that need replaced, then it'll be good for the next 80 to 120k.

By that I primarily mean things like suspension bushes and subframe bushes,and suspension airbags. (i.e. perishable rubber after 8yrs in age ). that and gearbox oil / filter at that sort of time.

Beyond that its just your luck.

What I meant by different life expectancy for different car I mean from one make to another. Such as to only get 80k out of a Toyota alternator, even though it may be out of warranty, would get owners screaming. In fact here in US you can complain to corporate Toyota and they will reimburse if you feel something shouldn't have failed. Sure sometimes someone might get 400k out of an alternator but for most of us that don't own Honda's or Toyotas that 80k to 120k is about right.
I think that by averaging the mileage at time of failure of a particular part we can add or subtract mileage for our own particular situation. So if i had a garage kept never driven in the rain Las Vegas RR I would expect the headlight wipers to ever go bad. Tallahassee FL averages 63 inches of rain so I would expect those headlight wipers to die much earlier than average.

Post #463867 9th Jan 2018 3:55am
steptoe

England 

Stuart- wrote:
I

I have an old Merc van (1998) that has been to the moon and back. I've had it almost a decade and it has hardly ever needed anything bar minimal MOT work, a fan belt and servicing.
I went to Russian border in it five years ago, and London in it only last week.

Did you pay the £100 charge for driving your van in London Very Happy

Post #463915 9th Jan 2018 3:23pm
rodp

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

It strikes me, and I'm no expert, that a lot of components on the FF are working at their limit from new and even mild abuse doesn't do them any favours. The FF is certainly nowhere near as robust as other LR products were.
After 47 years of LR ownership, I've come to the rather upsetting conclusion the FF is fragile and unpredictable in the extreme (for a LR) Big Cry

Post #463933 9th Jan 2018 7:07pm
Stuart-

steptoe wrote:
Stuart- wrote:
I

I went to Russian border in it five years ago, and London in it only last week.

Did you pay the £100 charge for driving your van in London Very Happy

I only went to St Albans right on the edge of the "Eco Zone" last week.

As it goes, I did pass through London in it a while back. M25 was jammed on the way back from France and I was diverting out to Essex. I thought I'd go "inland" as it were. Nav routed me all over and over the Woolwich ferry. A few weeks later I got some "warning" letter saying because I didn't have an Eco something or other engine it isnt allowed in London and I'd get fined next time. News to me. Daft Mayor Khant has nothing better to do than chase blokes with old vans doing business while knife crime and terrorism abound. But I digress....... 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black
2018 D300 SE Velar in champagne
Spiffing wheel centre caps available

Post #463946 9th Jan 2018 11:45pm
Rob99

rodp wrote:
I've come to the rather upsetting conclusion the FF is fragile and unpredictable in the extreme (for a LR) Big Cry

And yet we all love them and keep buying them Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #463947 9th Jan 2018 11:51pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Rob 99 is right

Nicksaab story in ramblings is inspirational . (No link sorry) He has just bought a Westie to replace his 200,000 mile epic, I suspect we will all be reading how he blasts thru the 1/4 million mile mark in his new car in the 2020’s.

I’m not a techie, but on balance I am now convinced by Nick’s story that it’s just worth paying the bills & getting stuff done , that will come up at the 100,000m mark & then smugly watch the clock go around and around and enjoy a car just as a pair of old shoes that fits well.

In 2030/40/50 won’t be able to buy a FF anyway Big Cry and I will probably be brown bread ..... Twisted Evil or using a self drive electric, as the marbles have completely gone and I need to find a way of getting to the doctor for my weekly feed by tube.... Rolling with laughter

Ps I should add, on my third FF and only had one major fault, alternator 2007 model. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #463984 10th Jan 2018 12:35pm
rodp

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I'm 50/50 at the moment about going back to the D1. I had a nearly new Classic some years ago and never had this feeling of impending doom every time I got in it. They were a much more robust vehicle. A mate of mine imports Classics from SA, absolutely rust free (I mean zero rust let alone rot). I have been sorely tempted but they're all manual transmission, no auto's. They need a repray usually and a tidy up, they nearly all need retrimming but that comes from SA for pennys. My son's selling his FF for the same reasons, just can't be sure of it. He's going D2 and although they can suffer some problems it's nothing compared to a FF.
Time will tell, still unsure what to do.

Post #463992 10th Jan 2018 1:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1