Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > 2002 4.4 V8 Range Rover ownership
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
timffrr

United Kingdom 
2002 4.4 V8 Range Rover ownership

This isn't going to be a build post. With the price of L322's making them "affordable" for people buy I thought I'd share my experience so other people who are looking into buying one can see the highs, lows, and costs I'm going through.

Firstly I bought the Range in a bit of eBay madness. Paying £4300 for a 2002 4.4 v8 with 100600 miles on the clock. After reading through pages of stuff on what to look for I picked it up. Seemed in very good shape with the odd small age related mark and silly things like the cigarette lighter not working. On the whole over the moon with it.

Click image to enlarge

Bought the car beginning of December 2016, and were now just into March 2017. First thing to do was change the mirror glass. The electro chromatic fluid had leaked into both mirrors making it a pain in the arse to see. Bought a pair of new glass off eBay for £20 ish. Both heated but without the auto dimming function. No great loss to me as previous BMW's had done the same and it's something I've never missed.

Next and most recently was a full service were now at 101700 miles. It's not my daily driver so I'm never going to put massive miles on it. When I bought it I knew it needed a service but wanted to get some miles on the clock to see what gremlins reared their heads. Luckily I have a friend who runs a garage so he just charges me for parts and not labour. The parts came in at £540. That's for all the oils and fluids (engine, gearbox, transfer box, brake fluid, diffs), filters, auxiliary belts, and both the rocker cover gaskets were leaking badly co they were done as well. Headless to say I owe him one as it was a little more than the quick service it went in for.

Real world driving. I live in the country side, lots of little roads and short journeys. Before the service the cars computer said I was averaging 14.5 mpg, after the service now getting 15.9. On the run back from picking it up we were on Motorways and A roads for 2 hours and got up to just over 19 mpg.

Next on the list is getting the lower temp thermo stat mod done and new top and bottom hoses. All the parts are hear just waiting for the weather to brighten up so I can get on with it. The stat mod, top and bottom hoses, and coolant can in at just under £200. After that will be new front and rear brakes plus a rear calipers as one is sticking. The friend who serviced it noticed the steering rack has some play and some of the bushes look tired so the MOT is due in April so will se what gets flagged up then.

I want to get it mechanically sorted before I start upgrading things like the sat nav, TV, and a few other bits. Will keep you all posted as things crop up.

Cheers all

Post #430316 7th Mar 2017 12:04am
b348xyx

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

looks very nice,

they have come down alot in price, and most people out there can afford them now but do wondering if everyone buying them really know the cost it takes to drive them.

but the cost of running and fixing is still very high.

If gearbox goes wroung, thats 2k rebuild
Engine timing guides fail, Looking 3k to replace and fix
Suspension Air bags £600-1000 for both fronts.

I love mine and i use mine daily, and multiple time a day for wife aswell.

I never see more then 10-12mpg around town with traffic. 23mpg on a run (motorway at 70mph)

Enjoy the car, always loved that colour. 2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 - Adriatic blue

2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 -Maintenance History Click Here = http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39687.html

Post #430396 7th Mar 2017 8:14pm
timffrr

United Kingdom 

So today was the dreaded MOT day, and surprise surprise it failed. Not nearly as bad as expected but it failed.
A track rod end,
Near and offside rear lower arm bushes where it connects to the hubs
Split drop link gaiter
And handbrake inefficiency

So I've got all the bits on order, going to do rear discs and pads while I've got the wheels off, plus calipers, hoses etc.... a complete over haul for the rear. Don't know what the cost of parts are yet but I'm expecting £3-400. I'm self employed and work a minimum of a 6 day week so time is a luxury I don't really have so will be a late few nights over the next week or so to get it all done.

Next on the list will be getting PCV valve plus hoses replaced. The hopefully can enjoy a few miles before the next bills crop up.

Post #432019 22nd Mar 2017 12:30am
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I've owned and self maintained mine for over 3 years, (2002 v8's LPG) and have put 30k, on the 140k, makes it 170k now. I bought it with timing guides broken, (non runner) and repaired it. Since then, apart from an issue with my previous ownered pro shop rebuilt gearbox splitting an o ring, meaning it had to come out, for a £1 repair, plus service oil/ filter etc....it's only needed oil changes, another battery, a few water leaks, culminating in a valley cover pan repair....and just lately, a couple of coil packs, which I changed them all for some S/H ones to prove the fault, and left them all on! And I put a lower temp thermostat on too.
It's true I don't cosset her as much as when I got her, kind of over the honeymoon period, but still, it's the only car I want to drive, any day.
Mine had already had the rear bushes done by previous owner.., and apart from getting it 4 wheel aligned in case it was bad, (needed it) all has been good for me. I ditched the 22 inch wheels it came with for 20's and drive it any distance wth confidence. I regularly open the bonnet and have a look round, just in case I see anything naughty, but all god for me.
...oh, and I've got three mot's without fail, since I bought it (bought with no mot, but failed on headlight...so I face lifted the front to mid term 2006 look, as was cheap to do...honeymoon remember!) .
Life is good. Thumbs Up

Post #432025 22nd Mar 2017 1:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1