Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > Using non DSP amp with Logic 7.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
doclees

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Using non DSP amp with Logic 7.

I think my DSP (2004) has partially died. I have right rear speakers and left lift gate speaker. The left rear door speakers have rare crackle as does the left lift gate. Currently I have the Logic 7 disconnected. If I connect it I can get this pulse thumping ( think helicopter) from front door speakers. No other sounds then.
I'm guessing the DSP is dying. Somewhere I read the X5 may use the same DSP amp and would be cheaper than Range rover labeled one. Also wonder if a normal car amp can be substituted without problems or would it be best to ad amp in place of both DSP and Logic 7 amps. I'm also assuming since there is no change when using the CD player this is not an issue with the radio unit. thanks

Post #430318 7th Mar 2017 12:07am
miggit

United Kingdom 

I think you'll have some problems there Bud, the dsp amp drives each speaker separately, apart from the centre dash, so your looking at a 10 way + sub pre out on a std DSP set up and I think the logic 7 system has more speakers Sad You could put a 4 channel amp in place and use passive crossovers to drive the speakers, but, it would be a real pain in the butt as some of the power for the speakers comes from the BM54 unit, and you'd have issues getting a pre out from the system to drive the amp. For sanities sake I'd stick with the BMW / LR system unless your going to dump everything and go Android..

X5 units will work in the ffrr.. but they are "coded" to the car.. but in reality that just means that they are tuned to the interior space.. so yes it will work but it might sound a little off.. just make sure that your swapping like for like units.. I have heard that some of the other makes that BMW used weren't as good.. quality or reliability.. So LR did get something right Razz

And it's not just the X5 that had that system in it, 5 and 7 series as well Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!
Inventor of the 'Guide-o-Matic automatic wheel alignment tool'
Former long term L322 owner, Up/Down graded to a Classic Tractor!

Post #430535 9th Mar 2017 3:22am
doclees

Thanks. Here I thought coding was a theft protection thing. I assume that if my DSP is faulty I won't be able to determine if the Logic 7 amp is working until I get a known working DSP. Hmmmm in for a penny might mean in for a pound. Might be better to sell the working parts on eBay to pay for the Android unit.

Post #430604 9th Mar 2017 6:54pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

It's a definite improvement over the stock system.. with better screen resolution Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #430614 9th Mar 2017 7:42pm
doclees

I find the fix-it board on eBay for the no sound bad amp chip in the bm54. Am I correct this is the radio amp? Are all sound sources dependent on passing through the bm54/radio amp before going to the 2 Logic 7 amps?

Post #430879 12th Mar 2017 4:00am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

It's the amp for the whole system....just happens to also have the radio in it too. The DSP gets called an amp but it's not, it's a sound processor with active crossovers. 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #430880 12th Mar 2017 4:11am
doclees

Well then that explains everything. I'll try the $69 fix. Thanks.

Post #430881 12th Mar 2017 4:15am
mjdronfield

If that doesn't work there is a member on here called Baris who repairs and upgrades them.... he should at least be able to diagnose if you PM him, and then you can decide what you want to do.

That boot area is prone to water leaks, so make sure it's all dry... though you prob done that....

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #430887 12th Mar 2017 8:21am
miggit

United Kingdom 

mjdronfield wrote:
It's the amp for the whole system....just happens to also have the radio in it too. The DSP gets called an amp but it's not, it's a sound processor with active crossovers.

Whistle Not strictly true.... the DSP does have amplifiers contained with in... that's why it has the really big wires going to it... it is more like an active crossover and amplifier for some of the speakers.

Yes the BM54 has an amplifier built in to it along with the radio, and I believe that on the lesser models this alone powers the speakers..
So either could be at fault... any chance of borrowing a working BM54 off some one and testing it in your car.. at least you'd know which bit needs changing. But i suspect that as you getting a radio display of the screen it's the DSP that's fubar'd Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #430923 12th Mar 2017 1:18pm
mjdronfield

You must have different info to me then.... I've had both the stage 1 and stage 2 upgrades to the BM54 internal amps, no mod needed to DSP. The DSP simply acts as an active crossover once it's done its processing. It needs power to run the crossovers, so they are not driven by the BM54 - freeing up power..... I have info somewhere.... so yea, either could be at fault as miggit says, as if the crossover on a channel feed is stuffed, you will still not get sound, even if the BM54 feed was good.... 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE

Post #430926 12th Mar 2017 1:50pm
doclees

Crap. Back to probably not worth it and better investment to do the Android upgrade. Moisture not looking like a big deal. The floor of the area just has some minor surface rust about 6 in x 6 in. The DSP to Logic 7 auxiliary amp connection was fairly corroded but nothing on any internal workings or any circuit boards. Thought maybe the corrosion caused a short and took out anything anywhere.

Post #430928 12th Mar 2017 1:57pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

I think that the DSP is crossover and amp for the bass, which would explain the rather hefty wires coming from the unit... if you look at a lesser setup the speakers are wired straight in to the BM54... and as far as I know there is only one BM54 for the ffrr.

Technically it should be possible to remove the DSP from the system and wire the speaker direct to the BM54 Rolling Eyes

And the DSP amp sits about 2.5" deeper into the well... which is an appropriate description as it's normally full of water Laughing When my DSP failed I lost the DSP display on the dash screen, but I was still able to get radio and cd displays.. it is possible that the amp in the BM54 was dead, but I have thought that the whole unit would die... When it all came out you could see the tide mark a third up on the DSP and the TV tuner had dipped its feet, but the BM54 showed no signs of bathing Thumbs Up Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #430929 12th Mar 2017 2:07pm
doclees

OK now I have seen "DSP display" a couple of time. I don't ever recall seeing anything on my screen that says DSP. Perhaps mine has.been dead from PO.

Post #430934 12th Mar 2017 3:19pm
khyber

United States 2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I think I may a similar system to yours (Logic 7 with two amps in the boot). I think US version of 2004 RR HSE have the top end specs for RR.

I am going to test the Android unit (Eonon GA6201) bypassing the BM54 unit which I think you are referring to as DSP.

Post #432481 24th Mar 2017 6:25pm
miggit

United Kingdom 

The BM54 is the radio/pre amp, the dsp is a much larger unit, black and has a lot of wires coming from / to it, and is the unit closest to the rear light. Yesterday I couldn't spell Engineer... Today I are one!

Post #432483 24th Mar 2017 6:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>