Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > most unreliable range rover EVER?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
javal322

2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
most unreliable range rover EVER?!

hi you merry lot ! Very Happy

now i know theese are not known for being perfect but i think my one must be on a record by now

6 months and 5k miles and so far i have encountered:

an unknown boost problem

knackered cd changer

faulty radio ariel

faulty volume control

a melted rear light

recon gearbox playing up so got serviced( but still takes time setting off in the morning)

faulty injectors !( still broken)
air suspension went into a hissy fit , seemed to think it had articulation of a gymnast then stopped working complely( still broken)

this range rover has wanted for nothing ,

fixed the venture cam with a new battery pack
i repaired the heated seat and changed the knackered leather on the base
new michalin tyres all round
repaired and resprayed the rear bumper
engine serviced
garbox serviced
transfer box serviced
had a bodyshop do the scabby centre console panels
new grille as the old one was a mess
new stormer alloys
been valeted more times than i can count
leather cream applied every other week
suspension cyled at least once a week
low range used once a week

thats on top of the repairs i have had to do above

are they all this crap ? this is my first one and must admit my patience is wearing a bit thin lol !

its done 175k miles

pics are a varied mix

Post #430323 7th Mar 2017 1:31am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

I wouldn't say unreliable just showing it's age and requiring routine maintenance and repair . They are vastly complicated vehicles and a lot of components will be suffering from end of life or lack of regular maintenance . I see from your list that you have changed some fluids but not all and fixed a seat base and the rest is cosmetic so not yet an exhaustive list .These cars can cost thousand a year to keep running when new and the expectation that that cost will go down with age is naive at least.
They can have known issues , TD6's gear boxes , TDV8 3.6's can eat turbos and early transfer boxes have potentiometer woes but I see none of that happening to you . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #430325 7th Mar 2017 1:51am
javal322

im still waiting to put a gearbox in it as im sure mines having trouble lol

suspension is currently playing up and its smoking its Censored off due to injectors so the faults are building quicker than they can be repaired , just bought lynx diagnostics so hopefully be a bit easier to keep on top of things ! Smile

Post #430328 7th Mar 2017 2:51am
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

No, they most certainly are not all bad. Not even close.

With the greatest respect, you have bought an old but premium level, high mileage car that has had how many owners? As the price of these vehicles falls, more and more unsuitable people are buying them and by unsuitable I mean, the ones who think they can run it on a shoestring.

These people scrimp on servicing and maintenance and hide faults rather than repair them because repairs are potentially expensive and they've blown everything they had just buying the car!

Once all sorted, it will be a fine vehicle but it will always be at risk of having faults associated with 175k miles and however many owners worth of abuse over 12 years (?) unless you spend a great deal and go through the car front to back.

In my opinion anyway.

Post #430348 7th Mar 2017 12:07pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

My advice is buy a brand new one they are slightly better Thumbs Up ........ only joking I have had 7 over the years and no major problems although the highest mileage I have had is 90 k . When they are running right nothing comes close .

Post #430351 7th Mar 2017 12:22pm
javal322

Unnecessary quote removed

yeah i think the previous owner was one of theese shoestring budget people , its had the main expensive bits done but so much has just been left to break and get worse without being fixed , and people wonder why thier vehicles end up scrapped !

hopefully ill be able to get this one back to its former glory and with some luck a 2010 facelift in the future Smile

Post #430355 7th Mar 2017 12:47pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Try living with the one i had Rolling Eyes Even after 30 years of having a LR on the drive I am at the point of buying something German.

Post #430366 7th Mar 2017 1:55pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

That's nearly 300,000km. It looks pretty good for those km. But the motor is going to probably need some work especially if it's smoking. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #430367 7th Mar 2017 2:02pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

A facelift would be over capitalising imo. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #430368 7th Mar 2017 2:06pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Sadly, there do seem to be a few "are these really this crap" threads from some owners. With the exception of some newer cars it does seem to be in the high miler or badly maintained ones. I'd say any big old high miler in this situation will need some TLC and it can be frustrating. Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #430370 7th Mar 2017 2:13pm
mzplcg

It's too random for that Nick, more a case of Land Rover didn't feel like building that particular one properly. Given the issues I had with 3 Range Rovers now (2007 TDV8, 2010 S/C and now a 2014 Vogue SE) I'm pretty much at the end with the brand. Hell, even the brand new Vogue they lent me broke down FFS. #shltebuildquality

Post #430374 7th Mar 2017 2:24pm
n1cktdv8

My comment was focussed on the older girl in the pictures, but I take your point. I wince each time I read "3.6 eats turbos" and if I had spent the ££££ you have, I would no longer be attached to the brand. My next car is 2-3 years away and as much as I would like a 4.4 tdv8 or maybe a D4 HSE I am drawn ever more to the German's. My Audi A8 was a battleship and uber reliable, and all I need is a reasonable towcar with room for 5 people and a decent boot. As our kids get older they'll not be coming away in the caravan so the twin axle will go and then I can look for a smaller car.....well that's how I look at it. Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #430379 7th Mar 2017 3:33pm
mzplcg

Yep, that's where I'm at now. I *need* a large-ish car that can tow 1900KG. I *want* a Range Rover. But whilst needs are not negotiable, wants definitely are and since I can't get anything reliable from the LR brand I might as well look only at needs and keep it as cheap as possible.

For me the RR is a luxury, but the pain of owning one is too great at the moment, especially with the way JLR treat people. It definitely seems as if their idea of customer service is to do as little as they have to in order to get people off the phone, almost as if customers are an inconvenience rather than the reason for JLR existing. What a way to conduct business!

Post #430382 7th Mar 2017 4:11pm
n1cktdv8

We have said this on other threads, but we 'enthusiasts' are not the majority and JLR have little love for us, we know too much about their product. You need to be someone who just wants an SUV, or a bigger car - then they can sell you a £40k Ewok etc etc

I agree it's a luxury item, that in the sense of the word isn't essential. There are a couple of other options for £60k+ tow cars but I'm not someone who would spend more than £40k on a car. I will likely be looking at things like an Audi Allroad, VW Passat Alltrack or similar once the larger twin axle van isn't on the drive ! Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #430383 7th Mar 2017 4:26pm
Markjohns1

United Kingdom 

Touch wood,you have turned the corner after 5000 miles anything wrong with the car should have come to light. I spent 3k on mine within 6 months all preventative and cosmetic to hopefully avoid issues arising in the future. Wont see the money back on a resale but have the assurance,fingers crossed that the car is as good as it can be with 100000 miles.hope things improve for you and you start enjoying ownership . Full fat 4.2 Sc
Full fat vogue 4.4 petrol
Jaguar XJR super charged
Porsche cayenne
Tvr tuscan mk1
Bmw mini cooper

Post #430385 7th Mar 2017 4:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>