Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Another fault found on my L322. Fuel gauge faulty...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
S14WNO

England 
Another fault found on my L322. Fuel gauge faulty...

I have posted a few threads over the last few days trying to get to the bottom of some of the issues i am having. I have a 2003 TD6 HSE which i have owned for a couple of weeks. When i got the car i noticed the pixels where near enough completely gone on the instrument cluster so i purchased the new ribbon from ebay and had a go at fitting it myself, when i was removing the needles on the existing cluster, the return clock spring type thingy decided to come out with every needle so id Censored the cluster there and then. I decided to get a replacement clock from someone that was breaking a l322 td6 and fitted it. All seemed to be working as it should, speedo and rev meter seemed spot on, other than a few lights on the dash and the tamper light being on i was happy. I havnt really used the range rover over the weekend so this morning was the only time i have had to take it for a good drive...

I have noticed the fuel gauge needle is not moving when the fuel is being used... when i cut the engine and turn it back over the needle moves to show less fuel, i have run it pretty low or so the gauge is now showing but there is no reserve light coming on. Also when i cut the engine the needle drops all the way to hit the side wall of the gauge... i will try and post a pic following this post. I have tried to keep my eye on the range shown on the trip computer but this also doesnt seem to be able to make its mind up...

Have i bought another dud?? the pixels are perfect on this cluster, but i have got it into my head now that the previous owner of the replacement cluster has had a go at fixing the pixels at some point and maybe pulled out the spring on the fuel gauge as i did.... Any help would be appreciated

Post #431025 13th Mar 2017 11:25am
S14WNO

England 

Post #431026 13th Mar 2017 11:28am
S14WNO

England 

I just wannt to add... previous to replacing the cluster for pixel replacement everything was working as it should, its only since i have started unplugging and replacing the clusters that i have found the issues

Post #431027 13th Mar 2017 11:30am
S14WNO

England 

any ideas anyone? i dont want to be using the range rover with the baby until i have sorted it out. I have had the dash off about 6 times playing with the previous cluster and replacing this one, i thought when i replaced the old one then my issues would be solved but its not the case. Could it be that it needs to be coded to my vehicle for it to perform correctly? or should the fuel gauge work regardless?... Was meant to pick my mrs up from work today but i didnt want to risk breaking down as i dont know exactly how much fuel is in there...

Post #431068 13th Mar 2017 5:17pm
UK Marine

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Hi,

All should work regardless of it not being 'coded' to your car, only the tamper dot will be there.

There is a procedure for the cluster to 'self test'.

If you go to the wiki section above and scroll down to secret codes 2002 - 2005 and follow the instructions then select option 2 for the self test.

This will activate all of the dials and lights and you will be able to see all of the needles move, if there is a problem with your fuel gauge then it won't move and if you have a light out then you will be able to diagnose that too.

Good luck.... ______________________________
Simon

Range Rover Classic 3.5 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 3.9 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 4.2 LSE - Sadly gone
Land Rover 110 3.5 - Gone
Range Rover P38a 4.0 SE - Pleased it's gone
Range Rover P38a 2.5 DHSE - Just sold
Range Rover L322 4.4 v8 Petrol - Current

Post #431069 13th Mar 2017 5:29pm
S14WNO

England 

hello buddy, thank you for your reply. I have just done the text and they are all moving. It doesnt seem to be registering as it should. even when i fire up the car the speedometer is sat on the pin at the bottom of the cluster where on youtube videos i have seen it jumps up to 10k revs. The speedometer seems to be moving slower than the speedo on the test and the fuel gauge needle drops back down to hit the plastic on the side wall as shown in my pic above... not too sure what to do with it

Post #431071 13th Mar 2017 5:39pm
UK Marine

I hate to say it but you may have bought a dud.

Is there any way you could borrow a known good one from someone just to test out your systems...

Regards ______________________________
Simon

Post #431073 13th Mar 2017 5:52pm
S14WNO

England 

i dont know anyone with a range rover im afraid, im just wondering if someone has done a pixel repair and not put the needles back how they should be. is there a way of moving them if i open up the cluster? i dont want to be pulling them out again after last time but if i can push them around somehow? I am way out of my depth here lol

Post #431074 13th Mar 2017 6:04pm
UK Marine

I think the only way is to remove the needles and you've not had much luck in that respect. If your worried about the amount of fuel left in your tank then I would be looking at the trip computer which gives the range left.

Not much of an answer I'm afraid but apart from either replacing them with a known good set or at least sending the ones that you have away to be fixed by someone who can back it up with a guarantee, then I wouldn't know what else to suggest.

Are you sure that the original cluster was showing tank contents etc?

Regards ______________________________
Simon

Post #431076 13th Mar 2017 6:32pm
S14WNO

England 

yes the original cluster was working fine before i started mauling with it, the cluster i have in now (replacement) is acting the same way as the old one was so i am wondering if someone has fluffed up the needles as i did with the original cluster.

As for the range... that also is acting odd, one minute it has 185 miles left then it will drop to 152 then up again... it cant make its mind up at all

Post #431079 13th Mar 2017 6:39pm
S14WNO

England 

I think i have figured it out... just done the test again with all the needles moving at the same time and the rev meter seems to be delayed and only goes so far and the fuel gauge needle only goes just above 3 quarters of a tank so i think these may need to be adjusted, thats if its possible. The other gauges are flying all the way and back... so fingers crossed i can adjust these tomorrow. I really wish i had a big garage with a nice big light in there Crying or Very sad

Post #431095 13th Mar 2017 8:20pm
UK Marine

Good luck my friend. I do all of my work on the drive too.... Big Cry ______________________________
Simon

Post #431098 13th Mar 2017 8:46pm
S14WNO

England 

Thank you buddy, ill have a go tomorrow and let you know how i get on. Many thanks for your help Thumbs Up

Post #431100 13th Mar 2017 8:51pm
UK Marine

The sod of it is I have a spare cluster, but it's for a 4.4 v8 petrol.. ______________________________
Simon

Post #431112 13th Mar 2017 10:04pm
S14WNO

England 

if it would of fitted i would of had it off you, i nearly bought the 4.4 cluster thinking it would fit ok lol

Post #431113 13th Mar 2017 10:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1