Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Feeling disenfranchised with RR (rant warning)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wanderer

2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
Feeling disenfranchised with RR (rant warning)

Let me start by saying that there's so much I love about the FFRR. I've driven my 62 plate Westminster for 86,000 miles over the last 4.5 years. An amazing car which ticks so many boxes for me.

The thing is, the time has come to change my car and I'm struggling to feel 100% committed to another FFRR order.

I had placed an Autobiography Dynamic order last Sept, which I was due to collect this Friday. But following a call last Friday to inform me that they'd made an error to spec an option which can't now be retrofitted, I've told the dealer that I'm not taking the car. Not impressed.

The dealer has offered to try to expedite another SVAD, but I'm feeling lukewarm about this; with the Velar launch we have a glimpse of next generation tech, and recent buyers of the MY17 model appear to be experiencing various quality issues. I know that we typically only see issues and not praise on the board, but still, when spending well above £100k I think we should expect something that has had the kinks ironed out properly.

Then there's the issue with dealers. Put to one side my latest issue with a new (to me) dealer down South, my normal dealer in Manchester has let me down a few times now; generally with the poor quality/service in after sales. Why are RR dealers so poor in general, they are really tarnishing the 'brand experience'?

So, whilst the RR is so good at what it does (and I need/want) for most of the time when everything is working, I find myself having thoughts about switching to something else.

To top it all, my current car is now playing up with an intermittent reduced engine performance warning. Just super.

That's it. Just needed to get that off my chest. Whistle

Post #431249 15th Mar 2017 8:49am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

The question is always, what would you have instead ?

Whilst I have my issues, there's just nothing else that really does it for me....

The apology from the dealer seems a little inadequate too - there have been other misbuilds where people have got to keep the car and use it until the correct build one is delivered.

Post #431252 15th Mar 2017 9:23am
wanderer

"The question is always, what would you have instead ? "

That's so true.

Out of left field I'm arranging another 911 test drive. I did this for a weekend last Feb, this time will be for a week. But I'm sure that's just a knee jerk reaction.

I've taken a look at the Bentley Batmanjelly diesel. But, oh dear lord, it's just so ugly.

As for the rest; Q7, GLS, Cayenne, etc, they just don't do it for me.

First world problems!

Post #431253 15th Mar 2017 9:33am
Giantlandyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Mistakes happen and the measure of a dealer is how they react to their mistake. However, there should be zero issues with any car costing that much so no wonder you are reticent about placing another order.

Whilst understandably morose about the situation, I would suggest spending some time enjoying what you have and when the edge has been knocked off the disappointment, then think about what route to take.

Personally speaking, I would wait until the new tech appears in the 405 (MY 2018, so next year?) and LR have had a chance to sort the quality issues. In the intervening time, decide on whether or not to find another dealer.

I say this because realistically speaking, having crossed the fence for greener grass, there is a distinct possibility that you could miss having a full fat AND there is no guarantee that another manufacturer or one of their dealers would be any different......better the devil you know.......throw baby out with the bath water......

These are thoughts that run through my head as I am utterly incensed at how LR are treating owners with the HDD Sat Nav system. One side of me wants to ditch LR and never buy another but the other side points out the love for the vehicle despite it's flaws.......and absolutely nothing else floats my boat quite like the FF boats.

Just a few thoughts.

Post #431262 15th Mar 2017 11:04am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I'd stick with what you've got if you can't see anything else you like. I've never had a new car, but could have had something fairly nice for what I paid for my RR, but if you spend all that money for new and you are not happy.....it's really going to spoil it for you.

As to the sat nav HDD support- I hate the sat nav anyway as I can't simply default to fastest route - I have to spend piggin ages picking from a choice..... then it seems to get all stubborn and stick to it no matter which way I actually go. Prefer my 2005 Tom Tom.....

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #431269 15th Mar 2017 12:13pm
crookedm

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

It's painful to read let alone experience, a car for that price just shouldn't have anything missing that was specified. Additionally just because there's nothing out there to replace buy instead doesn't mean buyers should be complacent and just buy something because the alternatives aren't as good. If everyone with an issue with LR walked from the brand i'm sure they'd be having talks with buyers to get them out of the brown stuff.

I hate the attitude of 'its an LR we expect problems' as its admitting that the brand to some extent is flawed but who cares.

I do admit though since being out of the LR brand I still look at them and do an almost whine inside when I see an RR go past. Take time out from them buy a cheap car and get back into one at the newer models, by that time you'll have been in a car that 'does the job' vs a car you want to be in and like.

Post #431277 15th Mar 2017 1:16pm
mpirie

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I hope someone from JLR is reading this thread and will feed this back to customer services.

Rolling with laughter How naive am I? Whistle

Post #431283 15th Mar 2017 1:46pm
berkshirelad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

I kinda assume that the OP is disenchanted - I can't see how LR customer service or an FFRR can cause him to lose his vote..

Post #431289 15th Mar 2017 2:31pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I do find it amusing when I read this stuff. Not in a hugely funny way, as you are right...the customer service is shoddy for £100k. My amusement comes when comparison is drawn with "what are my options, what do I get"....only to be followed with a Porsche 911 Shocked

They both have 4 wheels and an engine....beyond that it's not a comparison. The 911 is a very good tool for what it does, but if it's an effective tool for your use...why would you consider a range rover anyway? Choice...I do get that, but there have been a number of recent posts where ppl have been unhappy with JRL only to move to something which is a world apart !

Either way, I hope you sort it out.....first world problems...911 or range rover.... Rolling with laughter

Keep the Rangey and get a nice 2nd user 911 Thumbs Up Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #431293 15th Mar 2017 3:03pm
wanderer

Good thoughts one and all.

N1cktdv8 - you're absolutely right. This is a bizarre choice between the RR and 911 but, as I posted at the start of last year when I was wondering whether to scratch this itch in coming away from the RR for a while to try a sports car, as it's just me in the car for 99% of the time, and at weekends the only other occupants are SWMBO and our small dog (no kids), I really do have the option of going from one far end of the spectrum to the other. My defender can be pressed into shooting, tip runs, those sorts of duties.

Last year I test drove the 911 for a weekend and, to be honest, it didn't grab me. I then had the R8 for a weekend. I was very close to ordering that (still am!) but with no back seats and the smallest boot you could possibly imagine, it just wouldn't work (work bag, overnight bag, gym bag, etc), let alone a roof design which means that when there's water on the roof and you open the door, it's all directed right onto the middle of the seat! That engine though, mamma mia!

It was on the back of those two test drives that I decided to stick with the RR, but move from the TDV8 to the S/C then, when the Dynamic was announced soon thereafter, the order was placed.

Now, in the light of recent events, I find myself asking these same set of questions all over again, but this time feeling much less satisfied with LR service and quality (rather than just the sports car itch).

Post #431304 15th Mar 2017 3:56pm
wanderer

n1cktdv8 wrote:
Keep the Rangey and get a nice 2nd user 911 Thumbs Up

That would be an option, if only I had a bigger drive; we have a 3 car drive currently occupied with the RR, Defender and SWMBO's Mini. Hell would need to freeze over before SWMBO would let me sell her Mini. The Defender simply has to stay. Hence the 3rd slot needing to be taken by a daily driver.

Last edited by wanderer on 15th Mar 2017 4:07pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #431307 15th Mar 2017 4:05pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

I can see that it would be annoying to have been looking forward to zipping around in a new SVAD and still be in a TDV8 with restricted performance. As an aside, the Honda Jazz I have been given as a loan car today seems to have restricted performance even when working perfectly, though I can see the appeal of some of the design features.

Anyway, what about:

1. Offering to buy the SVAD for a reduced price - after all you have survived without advanced tow assist so far (though having seen it in the Disco 5 it looks very impressive)?

2. Offering to take the first of the 2018 MY SVADs with the dealer fixing you up with something to use in the meantime at a realistic cost?

3. If you have room for and can be bothered with two cars your budget of about £135,000 would give you (a) a 911 C4 GTS and (b) an Isuzu D-Max AT35, a nice team albeit not especially patriotic for a UK taxpayer. If you can spend >£200,000 then maybe the Rolls Royce Cullinan might be of interest? Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #431308 15th Mar 2017 4:06pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I'm not sure what you need but would say if to get from A to B with some gusto I would be looking at a larg saloon or estate. The obvious ones M5, M6, S6, S8. An RS6 could also work? It would tick the 4wd drive box..and on a good day would give a 911 a run for it's money. Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #431310 15th Mar 2017 4:13pm
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

Its not only LR dealers. When I bought my present Porsche there two items on the agreed spec omitted. One was retrofitted the other was too difficult so I settled for cash compensation rather than order another car.

Post #431316 15th Mar 2017 5:02pm
wanderer

martinf - and I guess, as you say, there lies the problem. Its not just LR, they all make mistakes I suppose. Hopefully Porsche's dealers are better than LR though at servicing (as a rule, I appreciate that some have good experiences with LR - and to be fair I've had a few good experiences).

nicktdv8 - thanks for the suggestions. I've ruled out BMW; I used to run 3 series and their approach is generally that the inside of the M5, M6 is essentially the same as the 3. They just don't feel special enough. S6 and RS6 are interesting. I'm not old enough for the S8 yet, and for the same reason have ruled out the S class Laughing

I can see me keeping hold of the Westminster for a while (after it's returned that is, as the AA have just taken it away to be fixed) and then getting the MY18 SVAD. That is, unless the 911 grabs me this time, in which case the turbo might be in my sights Very Happy

Post #431326 15th Mar 2017 5:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>