Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Questions & Observations??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
w8pmc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey
Questions & Observations??

Driven close to 1k miles in my new FFRR AB now & am starting to fall in love with it (was beginning to wonder if i'd made the right choice though).

So some initial observations, both good & bad:

Good.

1. New Infotainment is a delight both graphically & feature rich.
2. Comfort when driving is another level.
3. The TDV6 is extremely well suited to the car & pulls more than well enough & i'm already averaging mid 30's MPG.
4. Meridian 825W system isn't quite as outstanding as i'd hoped but is more than adequate.
5. SatNav re-routes very quickly when conditions change (fastest i've ever encountered).
6. When making phone calls in poor reception, the car holds onto the call far longer than the phone would.
7. A great sense of well being driving around in the elevated position & made to feel very secure.
8. The car gets many admiring glances which surprised me.
9. InControl Remote is fantastic as is the ability to remote heat the car from either the extra fob or the app. Question on this though, when using the fob the car appears to use the ancillary system, but using the App the car actually starts (surely that can't be a safe method)?
10. Spotify works far better in the FFRR than it did in my M5 & offers up more features via InControl Apps.
11. The luxury feel of the cabin is another level. Leather everywhere & the softest leather i've ever felt in any car.

Bad.

1. The time it takes the Infotainment to load up is poor by the standards of other marques.
2. As per another thread, the Infotainment system has locked up twice now with yesterdays being a total system crash requiring a lengthy pitstop.
3. Taking quite some time to get my head around the physical size of the car. Still makes me nervous but is improving.
4. Adaptive cruise is too intrusive (great in traffic jams however) & although i'm trying to like it, so far we're not getting on.
5. Some of the Infotainment features appear at best flaky. In Control Apps doesn't always load & the phone's disconnected from the car a few times for no reason.
6. Getting a strange burning smell (plastic) in the car when slowing down from motorway speeds. Could be grease on components being new but not convinced that would cause a plastic smell.
7. The car really doesn't like external media sources/files. Tried many different options & all failed. Other cars are far more accommodating.
8. Why isn't the Mobile Data 4G enabled, poor show by JLR in limiting to 3G.
9. Is the quality of the windscreen glass low? Had a stone fly up yesterday (nothing major as only just heard it) but it's left a 20p sized star crack on the upper passenger side.

Overall the positives are outweighing the negatives & i'm still to a degree getting to grips with the new car being new to any JLR vehicle. I do have some frustrations which i feel should not exist on such a premium vehicle & i also feel i'm at some point going to have to RTFM to work some of the features out. Paul

MY17 TDV6 Autobiography In Carpathian Grey With Cirrus Interior

Post #431314 15th Mar 2017 3:45pm
w8pmc

The car's continuing to grow on me, but more niggles are creeping in which are certainly removing some of the ownership shine. They're not life changing but still annoying & not what one would expect from a £100k premium vehicle.

Infotainment system still locking up every now & again, but not had any further full lock ups, just certain features. Yesterday for instance, all was well with my journey until stopping for a coffee break, when i returned to the vehicle the music (Spotify) which i'd been listening to for the entire journey with no issue stopped displaying correctly on the dash & tracks couldn't be selected from the steering wheel button. If i went into Media/Apps i could change tracks on the infotainment screen & what we displayed was correct, however not the same on the dash or the wheel buttons.

Other things such as Screensaver & stealth mode don't do anything & the auto massage function doesn't work, however the massage function does work if i manually select it.

Lastly for now the boot release (with foot) won't open the boot fully as it opens 1/3rd way & then an alarm/bleeping sounds. All auto boot functions stop working & i need to manually open it to the top & then the auto features start working again.

As above, they're not huge issues & i did take a couple of hours to RTFM on Tuesday evening (not the easiest manual to understand), but can't fathom out why these features are not working.

Seems petty to take the 50mile round trip to the dealers for the above as would be difficult to demonstrate given some require the dark & others some time to manifest.

Are other people having similar challenges with the MY17? Paul

Post #432210 23rd Mar 2017 9:12am
Lutonboy

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Your observations are not filling me confidence on my imminent purchase! Confused
But they are much appreciated as I'll be looking out for these issues come delivery of my FF.

Post #432220 23rd Mar 2017 11:00am
w8pmc

It's a tricky one really as the car overall has wowed me & i'm almost completely sure i chose well & scratched the long standing itch i'd had to own a FFRR, that said these niggling issues are certainly taking away from my enjoyment as it's hugely frustrating having features either not work or not work correctly.

Another issue is my iPhone connectivity, for no reason during a call the phone disconnects from the car (not the call) but within 3-4 seconds reconnects with the call still in place. Assuming the other party was mid flow, no-one's any the wiser but if i'm mid flow the other party thinks i've hung up.

They are small frustrations as on such a Premium vehicle you'd expect everything to work as it should, more so given the car's brand new. These frustrations are yet not quite enough to send me on a 50 mile round trip, as i know the dealer won't be able to replicate most of them & it would become a wasted journey, but they're racking up so i'll be driven to do something soon. Paul

Post #432226 23rd Mar 2017 11:55am
WillyT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Looks like your issues are all software related. Sometimes a simple reset will sort out these issues. A reset can be performed by double locking the vehicle and then on reopening, hey presto everything is fine again. However occasionally the software may need a reboot at the dealer with the battery removed and then reconnected.

Needing a hard reset at the dealer is not common but can solve some niggling issues on the software side.

Im now up to 2000 miles since 01/03. So far software infotainment system has been reasonably good. Although this morning phone was connected but when a call came in I couldn't take the call on the infotainment only with the phone. Stopped for fuel, came back out, unlocked and everything back to normal.

These issues do not happen often (including previous RR's) and considering the amount of computing power we are driving around in I'm not completely surprised. On starting up the car its having to boot up its computer systems, then connect to the 3g signal, Incontrol network and the phones bluetooth. My wifes Tiguan sometimes doesn't connect to my iPhone when I drive it and thats has more simple systems !

Perservere its worth it Thumbs Up

MY17 SDV8 SE In Carpathian Grey

Post #432238 23rd Mar 2017 12:33pm
Charlyfarly

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Paul,
I had a similar "boot opening" problem with my MY2015 a while back.
It seemed to stop halfway.
I checked the (dreadful) manual and reset the fully open height 3 or 4 times.
Problem went away and hasn't recurred for over a year.
I agree with other comments...be patient, keep the faith and the car will grow on you Very Happy

Tony If it ain't broken, fix it till it is.

Post #432239 23rd Mar 2017 12:43pm
w8pmc

I always double lock the car so that hasn't reset the system. If these oddities continue I guess I'll have to visit the dealer.

As for the boot, when opening with the key or buttons it works fine, the problem is with the foot waggling opening which appears faulty as only opens 1/3rd & then an alarm sounds. Will check it out again tomorrow. Paul

Post #432375 23rd Mar 2017 10:29pm
Basilfawlty

England 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Like I said in another post a few of Range Rovers standard equipment on higher end cars can be a little gimmicky. For me as a person with a bad back, the massage seats promised much but delivered less than hoped and gesture tailgate is another of these. Now I know there are times when we all have our arms full at the boot of the car but waggling your foot and nothing happening is a lot more frustrating than reaching for the key or allowing the keyless entry to work.

If you look at one of the recent reviews of the new Disco5 by a LR dealer you will see him in the video vigorously waving his leg and nothing happening. Thumbs Up

Post #432377 23rd Mar 2017 10:48pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Havana

I had no problems at all with my car..... Thumbs Up All my spelling errorz are belong to me!

2023 FFRR L460
2020 Range Rover Velar

Post #432426 24th Mar 2017 12:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1