Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Help - Where to start with Air Suspension Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tom Heath

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

That's why I'm working at home today!! Laughing

I've just ordered a pair of Delphi struts from Dan at Duckworths - and might have accidentally bought a complete set of L405 wheels! Whistle Whistle 2005 L322 Tonga Green 4.4l BMW Engine with Touchscreen
GAP IID BT on order!
1966 Mustang Convertible, 5.8l V8

Post #431903 21st Mar 2017 1:34pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Just an add on the Big bottom bolts. I while ago I purchased a cheap 12v rattle gun from ebay and did not hold out to much hope for its power. I fitted crocodile clips so it goes direct to the battery. Its turned out to be one of my better buys and undid those big strut bolts with little effort, wheel nuts come of in seconds with the wheel off the ground. Highly recommended for this job. 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #432031 22nd Mar 2017 3:00am
Tom Heath

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

Just a quick update. I ordered a new pair of Delphi Struts from Duckworths, which arrived last week. All was going well, including taking the nuts off the bottom of the struts, however that's where the success ended. Id suspected that the last owner had dunked the car in the sea a couple of times launching a boat, however this had resulted in the bottom bolts seizing entirely into the casting/bottom of the strut. We spent about 3 hours with a combination of heating the casting, spraying pipe freezing spray on the bolt, and getting medieval with different weights of hammer (dead weight, 2lb lump, engineers). Eventually they started to let go!
Taking the old struts out revealed a significant amount of corrosion in the top of the strut mount. There was clearly salt trapped under the rust flakes, as i could taste it in the dust. A mixture of hammering flakes off, wire wheels on the drill and abrasive pads on the angle grinder cleaned them off, then a coat of POR15.

Reassembly was a doddle - including cleaning the full shovel load of rust and mud off the drive!

Re-inflating the system took a while to figure out that the NSR door was slightly ajar. As soon as it was closed, it filled up with no problems.

Unfortunately the OEM NSF height sensor I ordered last week turned up as a cheap chinese copy, so I've got a new one which arrived during the week to fit before I calibrate all of the suspension, although it's certainly sitting much better than before.

Thanks for all your help! 2005 L322 Tonga Green 4.4l BMW Engine with Touchscreen
GAP IID BT on order!
1966 Mustang Convertible, 5.8l V8

Post #433516 1st Apr 2017 10:50pm
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Well done, one of the joys of living in West Australia is rust and corrosion underneath is pretty much no existent so mine came off like new. I would let the car settle down to the new struts for a few days before any calibration, I cant explain why but mine took a week before things settled down, maybe the new bags give a bit? 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #433518 2nd Apr 2017 1:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12